New series, Animal Jam debuts February 24

Hays

Reaction score
OK, just saw it...

And I have to say, I agree verbatim with the reviewer. The unfortunate thing is, if they followed his advice, it would be a really terrific show. Bizarrely enough, I was also instantly reminded of "Death to Smoochy!"

The choreography is terrific, very simple and easy to follow - based on the live-animal videos in the background. That part really kept my boy's attention, but I could see that he wasn't able to follow the choreography because of all the spinning lights and colors. The muppets are a little too wired for my taste (they remind me of my least favorite muppets, Davey and Joey monkey,) but a lot of that could be addressed in toning down the set a little, and having fewer kids on the dance floor.

All in all, I could see that my boy was relieved when the slower-paced Wiggles came on (sigh, tear hair out.) I don't think keeping kid's TV - particularly for the preschool set - at a frenetic pace is a good idea, though it seems to be an industry trend.

It is clearly still a Henson production, though - the songs are complex and interesting, the muppets are well-designed and well-performed, and the writing - even though it lacks focus - wasn't done by a third grader (unlike said Wiggles.) I'd like to see what parents of school-age kids think of this show.

Smoosh

Reaction score
the penguin

The penguin is a Henson product and the muppeteer inside is a Sesame performer. On of my friends is one of the DJ's on Animal Jam and he knows first hand.
Laterz

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Re: the penguin

Originally posted by Smoosh
The penguin is a Henson product and the muppeteer inside is a Sesame performer. On of my friends is one of the DJ's on Animal Jam and he knows first hand.
Laterz
I liked the penguin.

:zany:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Originally posted by Smoosh
Laterz

I stand corrected...

:sympathy:

If only Cory were here to see it !

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Scott,

Make sure you get some of the Penguin on the video !

:big_grin:

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Re: Scott,

Originally posted by Warrick
Make sure you get some of the Penguin on the video !

You are such a demanding little Hairbo!

(Warrick... make sure you download those two songs for me, write that freakin' letter, and go out to buy issue #4.)

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jes,

Originally posted by FellowWLover
You are such a demanding little Hairbo!

(Warrick... make sure you download those two songs for me, write that freakin' letter, and go out to buy issue #4.)

And you call me demanding - Whooo !

:wink:

Smoosh

Reaction score
DJ3

Yeah, my bud Andy Stone is DJ3, the leopard... we have known each other for years, he was very excited to be able to develop and voice a character for the first time after being "supporting cast" up until now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This doesn't look good for Henson! I mean, with the success of AVMMCM and the current Palisades lines (all sold out! crud!) they are ahead now. Unfortunately, this show is a clunker that Henson doesn't need right now. It could be a hit with little kids, or it could drive adults away from the Muppets just as easy. it could be a full scale flop, or a forgetable, shortlived show like it's predicessor Tomi DePaola.

Personally, it doesn't look like something I'd watch. maybe once or twice.

Why can't they just bring back Stinky and Jake instead.

Never send a cow monkey to do a skunks job!:sleep:

Hays

Reaction score
My husband's comment: "It's Ross Perot and the Fruit Stripe Gum icon!"