New series, Animal Jam debuts February 24

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I've only seen the show twice, but it's the one Henson show I've seen that I can confidently say is CRAP. It's truly awful in my own humble opinion. They should've just revived "Jim Henson's Animal Show with Stinky and Jake" or SOMETHING.

The elephant, whatever his name is, is cool though.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I finally sat down to watch an episode of this and I think I'm down with the general consensus - great idea, lousy execution.

Maybe that's not fair. "Animal Jam" is a good show, but it is in need of a good dose of K.I.S.S. - keep it simple, stupid. I 100% agree with Cindy's review - great idea, great puppets, great music and easy to learn dances. The only problem is it's way too fast. Now, I know that was part of the concept, but I think it was the wrong way to go. I had trouble at first figuring out what was going on in the episode I watched. I also think there are too many kids, it's overwhelming. They'd do better with a smaller number of children like Barney. All the puppets are great, but there are almost too many and they don't stay around long enough to give you the impression that they are well-rounded characters like you have on Sesame Street.

Having a curriculum for a show isn't a bad thing, but Vendo-O-Face was right, this show does look like it had too many hands on it during development. I'd be interested to see what Nick Jr. would have done with this concept, they seem to do a better job of developing preschool shows than anybody else these days.

I also think there are other (existing) shows that do a better job of getting kids up off the couch too. "Big Comfy Couch" and "Ants in Your Pants" (which is pre-Animal Jam but a variation on the same idea) have a slower pace and work better with young children from what I have seen.

Plus, in the end, if you really want kids to be active its best to leave the TV off in the first place....then again I can't find a cute little "cow-monkeys" in my backyard. :zany:

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
When I first saw it I thought Paz was saying "I'm spazzed!"...... :cool: ......okay that made no sense.....

- :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Do they still have the kid studio audience? That too me is just super cheesey, and more akin to something from Barney, Greg the Bunny, UHF, or Death to Smoochy than anything JHC related.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like you mean, something like Uncle Nutzi's/Stanley Spidowski's Clubhouse or Sweet Knuckle Junction?

To me, those are like local, low budget cable shows.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I agree with all of you!!

Animal Jam is terrible! That big scary-looking blue elephant (what's his name again?) scares me! He even gave me a nightmare once!

!:eek: He doesnt scare me that much anymore
--------

My daughter will be skipping it and sticking to Sesame Street, Bear and TMS .
--------

Me too! :smirk: