NewsRadio

Super Scooter

Reaction score
"Let me tell you something, little Miss... Advertising pays our bills, alright... advertising pays your salary... advertising is what made this country great... What was the Constitution of the United States?... No! It is an advertisement... an advertisement for liberty... when in the course of human events... I'm telling you... that's up there with 'Put a Tiger in your tank' and 'Where's the beef'... Don't you understand? I'm sorry... I've got to get some air... **** if it wasn't for advertising... you know what you two'd be doing, huh? You two'd be giving out Sesame Street tote bags during PBS pledge breaks... 'cept they wouldn't say Sesame Street on them.. Nooo... they wouldn't say that... that would be....? ADVERTISING!!! That's Right!! ****, if you two had your way there probably wouldn't even be any Sesame Street would there?... Would there?!! There'd be no Ernie would there... Nooooo.... there'd be no Bert... bye bye, bye bye to Grover... bye bye to Cookie Monster... NO! There'd be no Snuffleupagus, would there, and get that trash can... cause there'd be no Oscar the Grouch... NOT TO MENTION... KERMIT, THE **** FROG!!!!"

- Jimmy James, NewsRadio

One of the best shows (in my opinion) ever made. It was a rare gem, with one great thing. It was odd.

Has anyone ever noticed that the executive producer of this show was none other than Bernie Brillstein, Jim Henson's agent? You can see qutie a few similarities between this show and The Muppet Show in their humor. NewsRadio used a lot of physical humor, and spontenuity.

Question: Was the main character, Dave Nelson, named after Dave Foley (the actor who portrayed him) and Jerry NELSON? Or DAVE GOELZ and JERRY NELSON? Hmmm?

Just a question I would like to know the answer to, after all, it would seem like it with Bernie Brillstein's connection to both.

Luke

Reaction score
I agree it was one of THE best shows on TV ever - it needs to come out on DVD !!!!!!! I doubt the character connections - Bernie's an agent/exec producer, not a writer/producer so it'd be wierd for him to get that involved. Newsradio was all about the idea of agencies 'packaging' shows - it was written by Brillstein Grey represented writers, Exec produced by Brillstein Grey management, used Brillstein Gray represented actors etc etc. They just make the whole show and sell it to the network !

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ah! Okay. Probably just liked the sound of Nelson.

Of course, then again, have you ever seen "Enterprise"? Every character on that show (and most of the scripts written by) are named by the executive producers. So, it could have been a connection there.

Oooh! NewsRadio DVDs! I got the first season of M*A*S*H on DVD, and they have a special feature where you can take the laugh-track out if you want. It's a whole lot nicer to watch without it.

I've probably seen most every episode of NewsRadio (is it NewsRadio or News Radio?) and I can still watch every episode again!

"I can't say I knew Ted very well, but I did know that he was a Star Wars fan. And that he was an avid member of... the Koo Klux Klan. Which I only found out a few moments ago. Sure wish someone had told me."
- Dave Nelson, NewsRadio

"Your last name is Gorellii?"
- Bill McNeal, NewsRadio countless times.

Did you ever see the Titanic or Sci-fi episodes? They were hilarious!

"Does this mean we're going to have to re-populate the planet again?"
- Mathew Brock, NewsRadio

I think that's what he said at the end.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I think they still air the reruns on A&E. Just incase anyone didn't know.

beaker

Reaction score
News Radio was brilliant!!! I mean it didnt get more cryptic or 3am than that show...and the ensomble cast had great chemistry. My two faves of course were Phil Hartman and Andy Dick. I mean they had whole episodes about a Boba Fett action figure, and an arcade game. Theyd even have these strange episodes where the News Radio station was like in outer space.

Man, if only crazy estranged wives werent allowed to have guns....crap.

Saturday Night Live alumni and rap artists...most dangerous profession?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
phil hartman is such a funny comedian..he could practically do anything. i especially liked him when he did lionel hutz and troy mcclure on the simpsons..i think he could have gone along way if he hadn't died..such a cruel ending for a funny man..

ryan

matleo

Reaction score
New Radio was a fantastoic chow with some of the quickest writing and best characers to come along in almost any 90's sit-com. And while Dave Foley and Phil Hartman are both comic geniuses, theBEST on that show was undoubtedly Stpehn Root as the man so nice they named him twice: Jimmy James! Some of his tirades (like the one quoted above) were just brilliant!! I think Root's real talent is making it look like a lot of stuff was just happening on the spot (and I'veheard that some the stuff he did would just happen on the spot) There's a great one where he's lecturing on how to negotiaite a business deal and he just picks up the coffe pot, stirs in a FULL carton of milk and then drinks straight fro mthe pot!! Disgusting, but funny!! but even aside form physical bits, Root has this ability to make it look like his dialogue is just tripping off his tongue. A lot of sit-com actors wil 'deliver their lines" (ie 'Friends') but Root just plays each and every moment like it's just unfolding before his eyes. I would have to say I think jimmy james is probably one of my favortie sit-com characters ever written.

--Matt

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter

Question: Was the main character, Dave Nelson, named after Dave Foley (the actor who portrayed him) and Jerry NELSON? Or DAVE GOELZ and JERRY NELSON? Hmmm?

Just a question I would like to know the answer to, after all, it would seem like it with Bernie Brillstein's connection to both.

Hey I ws just over at imdb.com and looking at the trivia section of the show when I came across this...it may help shed some light on the answer to your question....

"During the credits, Dave Foley's name is shown over a shot of the twin towers of the World Trade Centre. The towers were nick-named David and Nelson. Dave Foley plays Dave Nelson."

Although, I've never heard of the Twin Towers having a nickname, anybody know if that's true.

--Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Re: NewsRadio

Originally posted by matleo
but even aside form physical bits, Root has this ability to make it look like his dialogue is just tripping off his tongue. A lot of sit-com actors wil 'deliver their lines" (ie 'Friends') but Root just plays each and every moment like it's just unfolding before his eyes. I would have to say I think jimmy james is probably one of my favortie sit-com characters ever written.
Oh totally, I loved his character. Did you ever see Office Space? Root was hillarious in that ..."yeah...um, well, thats my sssstayyypler...but, um ok...well..." LOL

Originally posted by matleo
"During the credits, Dave Foley's name is shown over a shot of the twin towers of the World Trade Centre. The towers were nick-named David and Nelson. Dave Foley plays Dave Nelson."

Although, I've never heard of the Twin Towers having a nickname, anybody know if that's true.
...not anymore:frown:

Btw, how many SNL alumni have died since the 80's? Andy Kauffman, Belushi, Gilda, Hartman, Farley, etc? Man, that poor Brilstein fellow.

matleo

Reaction score
Oh yeah!! I was watching Office Space last week as a matter of fact! That ahole movie is hilarisous, but again Root manages to steal it! I'll...
i'll take my travelerth checkth and go to a com-peting resort...I'll call your nation's board of tourizm and have this place kendemmed...I'll...I'll put strichtnine in da guacamole."

--Matt