NewsRadio

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Harry
I think they still air the reruns on A&E. Just incase anyone didn't know.
Yeah, it was, up until January hit. Now all they show is movies.

I agree about Stephen Roots. Comic genius! He's a real highlight to the show. He's also on Oh, Brother, Where Art Though.

As much as I loved Phil Hartman, I almost liked Jon Lovitz more, although he came in at a sad time. I like them about the same. I remember, Bill McNeal always used to say to Joe (another great character):

"Your last name is Gorellii?"

And then, in the very last episode, Jon Lovitz character (don't recall the name at the moment) said to him, before leaving for the country:

"Your last name is Gorellii?"

To quote Bill: "Good times! Good times!"

It really was one of the funniest shows of the ninties. How in the world does Friends end up the best comedy, and News Radio gets dropped????

I don't much care for Friends, except Joey and Chandler. They're great!

Friends is a drama with a laugh track.

Oh, well. Here's hoping for those News Radio DVDs!

And, I've never heard of the twin towers being nick named Dave and Nelson. I knew they had nicknames though.

Sad.:frown:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
LOOOOOOOVE me NewsRadio!!!!! Jimmy James was TOTALLY my favorite character....As well as evil villian JOHNNY JOHNSON!!!! (OK, I just love that actor! I've never seen anything where he didn't make me fall down laughing if he was in it!) Joe is an AWESOME character! The best a/b that show was, not only was it odd, but all the characters were odd, and yet, not in the least bit steriotypical odd!!!! (Can't spell today!!!) I am a BIG fan of the D.B. Cooper episodes, anyway! That show had some GREAT gags! (Let us not forget the goofy ball!) Makes me wish this show had DVDs so I could go out and buy them and watch them whenever I was in need of a Jimmy James tirade, or bizarre slapstick, or some just REALLY RANDOM gags! .....Oh my gosh, remember the cane episode??? This was one CLASSIC show!!!!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter

It really was one of the funniest shows of the ninties. How in the world does Friends end up the best comedy, and News Radio gets dropped????
Because I dont think a lot of mainstream jane and joe's fully appreciate out there comedy. Friends does well to cater to the Gap crowd. Though...Seinfeld was a rarity, it managed to appeal to a lot of folks and remain one of the strangest epic comedies ever. Seinfeld is my all time fave show ever(I mean even the reruns are great time and tiem again) but yeah, NEws Radio is up there too. Great writing.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I agree, Beaker.

It's sad. Some of my favorite TV shows (exception: Seinfeld) were the funniest shows, and they got canceled just after they got enough shows for reruns. There was NewsRadio, Dhamra & Greg was pretty funny (they remind me of a couple I know)... well, anyway, there's been a few, and then there's those shows that, okay, they have their funny characters, or their funny scenes, but it's only a few characters or scenes per episode. It's not the whole thing, and they have been on for nine years! I refer to Friends in this statement.

I love Scrubs, it might even out-do NewsRadio, and I hope it shows that we don't need a "funny-drama" for us to tune in each week. Hidden Hills is another one. They should deffenitly make more shows like those and NewsRadio.

One of the better shows, Drew Carey, even that's going steadily down-hill! Ever since Kate got married and left the show, it's turned into that "funny-drama" I mentioned!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
I agree, Beaker.

It's sad. Some of my favorite TV shows (exception: Seinfeld) were the funniest shows, and they got canceled just after they got enough shows for reruns.
Oh totally. Look at The Tick(the animated one, not that boring live action one), All American Girl(one of the funniest sitcoms ever, but ABC pulled it because America didnt care for a Korean family on tv afterall...poor Margaret Cho), Jim Henson Hour(my personal fave Muppet show EVER), Ellen(the original got canned after she 'came out', and I LOVED that show)

Shows I WISH got canned: Drew Carrey(Used to be a big fan, then I realized that Mimi Bobek has to be the most unwatchable character on the planet), WWE Smackdown, Osbournes,
The Bachelor type shows, etc.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I agree on your "wish got canned list", except for Drew Carey. Don't know why, but I still like that show.

So many great shows get canceled long before their time.

I personally liked Greg the Bunny, just because it was different from the Muppet Show. They weren't just trying to make an adult Muppet Show, they wanted to make something different, and make people laugh. That should be the whole philosophy behind comedies: making people laugh. I think that's been ignored in recent years.

But, comedy is making a come-back!

I've noticed so many people on here do not like Greg the Bunny. Why? It's no worse than Fozzie Bear's Muley peeing on the sidewalk!:big_grin:

Hehe! Just kiddin'!

So, what's your (everyone) favorite episode of NewsRadio?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i personally like the drew carey show and his other show whose line is it anyway.....i hate all of those reality shows ever since day 1 when survivor came out, or if you want to go further, the real world...

one show i have no idea why it only made it to 2 seasons was sports night...i have all 2 seasons on dvd, and i just think that show is great...has anyone seen it? it came on abc from 99 to 2001 then i guess abc got rid of it because it wasn't doing so good in ratings..great show...it's also by the guy who created the west wing...

ryan

Gonzo

Reaction score
Count me in among the NewsRadio fans--it's a shame I didn't discover it until it was off the air...even more of a shame that Mrs. Hartman was such a psycho.

It doesn't surprise me that so many people here like it--we're all a bunch of freaks.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo

It doesn't surprise me that so many people here like it--we're all a bunch of freaks.
Hey, you found the secret formula!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, we are all Freaks. In fact, we're so much Freaks that we have become our own culture and therefore are able to capitalize the word to create a name for our faction. The Freak Faction!!!

Speaking of Freaks, Quinnnnnnnnnnn, I saw your name on one of the Star Trek boards, jediKermit is it?

I'm not a member of one, but my brother is.

So, does anyone know what all the NewsRadio cast members are doing now?

Let's see,

Remember Catherine? (don't remember her name) She's now a major character on CSI: Miami.

Andy Dick is the star of a crappy ABC sitcom, and his latest film project to date is Zoolander. Remember the foreign lady giving Zoolander the massage? That was Andy Dick.

Stephen Roots is on King of the Hill (said in my best hick-like voice)

Lisa (Nuts! I don't remember anyone's names!) is on ER.

Anyone else?