Ninja Turtles

beaker

Reaction score
I actually like the rap during the credits of the first TMNT better. Plus I dont think JHC was as involved if at all with the second as they were wiht the original.

Btw, as far as big genre trilogies go...its usually the third ones I love. Muppets Take Manhattan and Jedi blow the other respective film sin those trilogies away in my mind. The third is usually the most epic, thought for TMNT its TMNT one and back to the future its the second one I like.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Woah woah woah you think The Muppets Take Manhattan is the best one? Holy cow. Back to the Future II? Return of the Jedi? Beaker has truly flipped his wig this time.

-Chris

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
As for TMNT 2...here's a breakdown why TMNT is better, and why they got worse and worse til that Next Mutation straight to video movie.
Actually, The Next Mutation was never supposed to be a movie and wasn't a straight-to-video release, it was the pilot for the live action TMNT series "The Next Mutation." I'll stop talking about that series right now before I start *****' swearing (oops, too late!).

Actually, considering the budget they probably had to work with, the turtles suits were OK.

I think the 1st and 2nd movies are so different in style and tone and that opinion is split, not so much because one was better than the others, but because one or the other apeals to you more based on your preferences.

...and I liked the 3rd movie! It wasn't the best, but it didn't completely suck either!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I actually like the rap during the credits of the first TMNT better. Plus I dont think JHC was as involved if at all with the second as they were wiht the original.
I think the extent of JHC's involvement was basically through the Creature Shop, providing puppeteers and the animatronics. Jim was quoted at the time of TMNT's release (right before his death) as saying he was not comfortable with the Ninja Turtles because of the amount of violence.

They actually didn't want to take TMNT II but the the producers were offering mega $$ and the turtle craze was in full swing. The Creature Shop apparently had very little work at the time and needed the money - remember that it was the work on the "TMNT" movies that really put the Creature Shop on the FX map with the Henson Performance Control System, etc.

beaker

Reaction score
I will blindly back up all my arguments here:wink:

>>>remember that it was the work on the "TMNT" movies that really put the Creature Shop on the FX map with the Henson Performance Control System, etc<<<

Regarding any position JHC may have had that TMNT was too violent...Im not sure what is officially said...being that TMNT the first one is close to the original book, and not the crappy archie stuff or cartoon. And JHC is all about edgy, look at Dark Crystal.
And, if youll recall TMNT is featured prominently on the JH the Works cover of the book, and as ya said it put em on the map(Creature Shop wise in the effects community) They went from way cool animatronics and puppetry to all suits. blah.

>>>Actually, The Next Mutation was never supposed to be a movie and wasn't a straight-to-video release, it was the pilot for the live action TMNT series "The Next Mutation." I'll stop talking about that series right now before<<<

Well I dont remember it on tv, I just remember a vdieo film package called "TMNT The Next Mutation" that packaged it as the newest TMNT full length feature. I mean if JHC can weasel people into thinking KSY is actually a movie...besides I thought "TMNT 4" was better than the third one.

>>>Woah woah woah you think The Muppets Take Manhattan is the best one? Holy cow. Back to the Future II? Return of the Jedi? Beaker has truly flipped his wig this time<<<

Youre kidding right? Have you flipped your wig?(whatever that means) Lets look at all three trilogies mentioned. BAck to the Future 3 was one of the worst sequels Ive ever seen next to Never Ending Story 2 & 3. Back to the Future 2 came out in 1989 and has to be one of my top 50 genre films. How can ya beat Jaws 19? Jedi....the most epic of the three Star Wars films...Star Wars one looks very 70's, such is why the later added cgi effects dont work. I didnt care much for GMC or Empire, so middle films usually dont do much for me. Same goes for Episode Two.
And MTM...a sweet concerto, I mean that ending alone with all 3 of the time properties. And the feel of it. TMM was cool, but scenes of KErmit being tortured, or GMC...I dont know.
Jedi and MTM came out right at the beginning of the early mid 80's(or late early 80's) right when the 80's really took off.
I'll address 'trilogies' in the other thread.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
>> Regarding any position JHC may have had that TMNT was too
>> violent...Im not sure what is officially said...being that TMNT
>> the first one is close to the original book, and not the crappy
>> archie stuff or cartoon. And JHC is all about edgy, look at Dark
>> Crystal.

Well, I believe the issue wasn't the Turtles "darkness" or "edginess" the issue was the martial arts violence and Jim Henson was quoted a few times I believe saying he was not completely comfortable with it. Although Dark Crystal and Labyrinth were dark films, they were necessarily violent.

The Shop, although they don't hide the fact they did the TMNT films did want to disassociate themselves from the movies after the first one, but took the sequel because the shop was hard up for work at that point. They opted out of the third one.

>> Well I dont remember it on tv, I just remember a vdieo film
>> package called "TMNT The Next Mutation" that packaged it as
>> the newest TMNT full length feature.

Yeah, I think I've seen that at Blockbuster but it was the TV series pilot - the show died a quick death which is probably why you never heard about it or saw it.

There was a TMNT 4 in development for awhile after the 3rd one came out but by then Turtlemania was dying out and the Power Rangers were just around the corner...

>> Back to the Future 2 came out in 1989 and has to be one of
>> my top 50 genre films.

Alot of the films you mention Beaker do have a bum wrap from genre fans and I think BTTF II is very underrated, but I am sorry the first one is a perfect film.

Oddly enough, the original screenplay was a mess. You can find it online at some of the screenplay sites.

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
Actually they crashed at the John Woo TMNT 4 movie project!!! Grrr!

But they are having a TMNT cartoon in Febuary 2003!! I wanna tape every episode! Weee!

Here's a page that shows the character designs:
http://www.toonzone.net

:big_grin:

I'm so happy! I love the second movie, too, and I love Donatello! Look at my website, I made a Donatello puppet! *lol*

*goes and watches her -Behind the Shells- video*

::gets fwapped::

beaker

Reaction score
fluffmuppet and all other turtle fans rejoice!!!

I went to my local TRU last night, and was pleased to get a Fox Box! My mom had said they had previewed last Sunday on Fox the new shows(grr I missed it) but a new happy meal like thing called the 'fox Box' shows off all the new shows with a cd-rom, mini TMNT comic(actually color unlike most TMNT comics!) stickers, etc. Remember Muscle? Theyre back! Ultraman is back, along with lots of other cool Japanese imports...

It pains me to read the John Woo cgi project has been sidelines...
but starting next February, the new TMNT cartoon airs, which will be the return of the Turtles!

So Transformers Armada, TMNT....does it get any better than this?

beaker

Reaction score
Just look through the Fox Box promo cd-rom. Sadly the TMNT clip is just actual turtles on a manhole in NYC...so no footage yet of it.
They must be keeping it a surprise.

Ultimate Muscle looks entertaining, if not with a very mid 80's look ala fist of the North Star. Remember M.U.S.C.L.E. men, thos elittle pvcs? This is the cartoon of it, and its very Smackdown ish. Theres even an nWo parody group in it.
Sadly the rest is Pokemon and Power Ranger sludge.

Just found a site that works(the above toonzone link doesnt seem to work on my computer)
http://www.medaforce.com/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=30

Here are the individual jpg links:

new TMNT logo:
http://news.toonzone.net/images/2002-08/turtles.jpg

leo: http://news.toonzone.net/images/2002-08/leonardo.jpg
mike: http://news.toonzone.net/images/2002-08/michaelangelo.jpg
don: http://news.toonzone.net/images/2002-08/don.jpg
raph: http://news.toonzone.net/images/2002-08/raphael.jpg

Not bad...this is the first art Ive seen of them, thankfully a heavy anime style and original TMNT comic look has been added.
Definately soom great stuff to look forward to in 2003!