Northern Calloway

dbarrie

Reaction score
Yeah, I've always wondered about those things too. Apparently SS (mysteriously) chose not to do a tribute to David. Can anyone explain why? I had heard some ugly rumours surrounding Northern Calloway years ago that I had posted earlier last week, which thankfully, turned out to be false.

fishbone said:
i want to know how luis took maria from david?remember when they used to date?.yo, i wonder if theydid a special show show when he died,like w/ mister looper...hooper, it's hooper(sorry ,that was dumb

CherryPizza

Reaction score
Let's not forget that by the late 1980s, Northern Calloway's health was already failing, and his appearances on the street segments were limited to scenes in Hooper's Store. His retirement from the street was possibly already in sight (his final appearance was in fact when Gabi was born). It's quite probable that he was unable to be part of such a large and enduring storyline

Let's also keep in mind that Maria and Luis' marriage was written into the show to accommodate Sonia Manzano's pergnancy, and her real-life daughter was going to play her on-screen daughter. Perhaps they needed to marry Maria off to another Hispanic character so that the Hispanic daughter would look like she was a product of both parents.

On top of that... what were the attitudes towards inter-racial marriages in the late 80s? Would it have been deemed acceptable on Sesame Street at the time?

dbarrie

Reaction score
Is this why David/Calloway didn't appear in the "Follow That Bird" movie from 1985? He was the only non-Muppet regular at that time who was not part of the film. Just another observation I had.

CherryPizza said:
Let's not forget that by the late 1980s, Northern Calloway's health was already failing, and his appearances on the street segments were limited to scenes in Hooper's Store. His retirement from the street was possibly already in sight (his final appearance was in fact when Gabi was born). It's quite probable that he was unable to be part of such a large and enduring storyline

Let's also keep in mind that Maria and Luis' marriage was written into the show to accommodate Sonia Manzano's pergnancy, and her real-life daughter was going to play her on-screen daughter. Perhaps they needed to marry Maria off to another Hispanic character so that the Hispanic daughter would look like she was a product of both parents.

On top of that... what were the attitudes towards inter-racial marriages in the late 80s? Would it have been deemed acceptable on Sesame Street at the time?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Joggy said:
I've read things about cancer or a depression, but I'm still not sure... someone else should know...

Too bad he is gone - he's one of my SS favorites. I just got that SS scene where he does the voice of a Hippie Muppet "imagining shapes" with a dull Muppet (Frank Oz). That one is so funny! "Well, I know WHO a square is!" (arrow to dull guy)
Hmmm. I think I remember that one. Wasn't he the guy, who made a guitar out of squares and triangles? Lol. That was funny. I believe his name was Same Sound Brown.

By the way, returning to the original question which was overlooked here. Whatever DID happen to Gordon #2 (Hal Miller). You can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. I mean Matt Robinson was the original Gordon and is remembered by a lot of fans of the show. (I've heard his voice a few times on MC radio and I've seen pictures of him, so I have an idea of what he's like) Roscoe Oreman currently plays Gordon and I remember him well, because I grew up watching him on the show. But I've noticed not too much is known about Hal.

Erine81981

Reaction score
One of Northern Calloway was about the song when Herry ask how to tie shoes. I still like that one. I think I have that one on video but not sure. R Luis and Marie that is the actors married in real life? I heard that from my mom.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
It's too bad he died young....He was a talented singer and was part of the original cast of Godspell, along with Sonia Manzano.

Splurge

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
It's too bad he died young....He was a talented singer and was part of the original cast of Godspell, along with Sonia Manzano.
He was also a performer on "The Me Nobody Knows". Also on that album was Hattie Winston, Irene Cara and a few others that would later appear on "The Electric Company".

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
R Luis and Marie that is the actors married in real life? I heard that from my mom.
No they're not married...Sonia Manzano states in the Unpaved book that it's something that causes confusion for many people.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Splurge said:
He was also a performer on "The Me Nobody Knows". Also on that album was Hattie Winston, Irene Cara and a few others that would later appear on "The Electric Company".
The Me Knowbody Knows was a broadway play that ran from 1969-1971. other future EC stars included Melanie Hendersen and Douglas Grant. all 3 of the kids would go to star on TEC, witch debuted in 1971 though Winston didn't join till 1973 replacing Lee Chambirlian. Calloway of course would appear on SS that same year.

Censored

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of different stories about Northern Calloway's life and death. It's difficult to know what the real story is and we probably never will. One thing I've noticed is that celebrities from Sesame Street do not seem to be subject to the same tabloid probing that other famous people are made to endure. It's just as well too because, while I'm curious about Northern Calloway, I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to their privacy.

"Follow That Bird" was produced before Northern Calloway died and was still on the show, so I am not certain as to why he was not in the movie. I really wish he would have made the cut because that is the only feature film that will ever do Sesame Street justice (IMO).

I don't think there was ever any episode that showed David and Maria breaking up. One day, Maria and Luis just fell in love, and David did not seem to mind at all. He and all of the other humans watched approvingly as they kissed inside the Fix-It-Shop. David did make a couple of references to he and Maria still beings friends and that it will be strange to think of her as someone's wife.

David's absence was explained by saying that he went to live on his Grandmother's farm. In fairness to CTW, Northern quit the show before he died, so the episode could have been produced before they had a chance to decide how to handle his death. Of course, David's memory did seem to be pretty much ignored. In the musical skit "Birdland", scenes with David sitting in the audience were edited out and of course, no skits featuring David are shown any longer. There was an episode in the 90's where Gordon and Susan played a video tape of Miles' adoption and David was actually shown for a split-second which really surprised me.

David was my favorite character and I sometimes feel that losing him (around the same time that Jim Henson died) was more than the traditional format could stand and that's why all the crazy changes happened.