1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Northern Calloway

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by fishbone, Apr 23, 2002.

1. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i also frogot to add Sonia Manzano was the one in Godspell, the broadway production.
  2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah. That is something I wonder about. They did the death thing with Mr. Hooper, but they really didn't do that with any other actors or characters. I do want to comment about a few things on that subject:

What would have happened if Matt Robinson was still playing Gordon when he died?

I also find it interesting that people thought when Jim Henson died Ernie would die on the show or something like that.

There was also the recent death of Mr. Noodle. (Was that explained on the show or did they just unexplicably go down to the first Mr. Noodle. What's the deal with that?)
  3. Splurge

Splurge Member

It's interesting that a few songs that featured his singing voice lived on: "Who You Looking At, Tiger" and "I'm Pretty". I don't know if there were others.
  4. fishbone

fishbone Member

:) yeah he did...my name is david,that's a fine name,it may not be yours,but it's mine just the same ,david is my naaaaammmmme.that song rocked,i miss david :cry:
  5. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i see no reason why they wouldn't do what they did when Will Lee died. but but then again Chet O'brian who played Mr. Mackintosh the fruit man and Kermit Love. willie the hog dog man are probably dead themselves though i don't know if they left the show or not. i know the actor who played Bob's Uncle Wally left prior to his passing. but who knows.
  6. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I see, but still nobody answered my question about the Mr. Noodle who died. I thought he was an important part of the "Elmo's World" segment. I haven't seen that part of the show in quite a while, but wouldn't they explain Mr. Noodle's disappearance somehow? :confused:
  7. Splurge

Splurge Member

I believe that Kermit Love is still alive and kicking.
  8. fishbone

fishbone Member

i thought that guy that played the dog on an episode of 3rd rock from the sun took mr.noodles place?i forgot about bob's uncle,what ever happen to hal miller? i think he was gordon # 2, welli'm not really sure what # he was but i know he was gordon,i'm looking at my "somebodycome and play" record...yup,no cd copy the original record,i had a whole bunch,but i only have a few.wow,so if you leave before you die,that's what about long duck dong? i know for a fact he's not dead,he lasted a min. & savion,well ,i know what why he 's not there,i can't beleive people ares till responding to this,i'm glad i got some answers,i think it's really unfair how they didn't even touch on the whole northern calloway,hall miller matter on the special,or in the book,well,i just skimmed through the book, :eek:
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

10. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Ironically, that burial information includes a picture of the Sesame Street cast without David in it. In fact, it's the cast of characters that were there after his death. They also get the dates wrong since they say that Northern Calloway played David since 1970. I believe he came onto the show around 1973.
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

well he had at least had been there since 71 because the earliest SSU show with him was a 1971 episode.
  12. timandalexis

timandalexis New Member

Im not 100% sure....

I grew up in Nashville, TN and for years I have remebered watching the news and seeing a reoprt about David from sesame street going crazy (mentioned depression in report) and streaking through Nashville in just a superman t-shirt. I say this not to down the man as he was one of my favorites growing up, but to add to the comment someone made earlier that its interesting how the tabloids and news shows tend to leave Sesame Street's actors alone as far as hounding them and trashing their lives, especially when something goes wrong. That news report was on one channel and I dont ever remember hearing anything else about it. Ever. Period. Sometimes I wish they would do that about all public figures. Im tired of hearing about everyone's dirty laundry all the time.

Tim
  13. DancingLauren

DancingLauren New Member

What the **** would depression have to do with going crazy and streaking with a superman T-Shirt?!??! A truly depressed person would NOT have the energy or motivation to do that. Geez... I dont know where some of these rumors get started, but they are not by people who know anything about psychology. Ive also heard that he "died from depression", which isnt possible, unless you committ suicide. They should just say "he committed" suicide then, not that he died from depression. My lord.

END RANT.

:grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:
  14. Mark The Shark

Mark The Shark New Member

Northern Calloway is not the only "Sesame Street" regular to have been the subject of a scandal. I don't recall all the details, in fact, I don't even remember this at all myself, but a friend told me he had read something in a tabloid (so some of it probably has a basis in fact, and some of it probably doesn't) regarding Roscoe Orman and some scandal involving fathering a child out of wedlock. But that's all second-hand information, and as I said, I myself never heard or read anything about this. I only mention it to point out that Northern Calloway is not the only performer with "dirt" to be dug up on him. Also, let me add that I like, enjoyed and respect both Northern Calloway and Roscoe Orman as performers. I never met either of them (although Roscoe Orman did make a personal appearance at a local mall a decade or more ago and I would have liked to have gone to meet him, but I was actually working in the building at the time and could not get away; however, I was able to look down to see the top of his bald head shining up at me on the second level for a moment, so I at least caught a glimpse of him).

As far as I can tell, though, the whole thing about Northern Calloway "going berserk" and all that really was a separate thing altogether from his subsequent illness and death (though if mental illness was a factor--which I don't know, not having known the man personally--then who knows if the two things were somehow related). But the "running around naked" incident happened in September of 1980, and he passed away in January 1990, almost a decade later.

As to why "Sesame Street" never dealt with the actor's death on the show: Northern Calloway left after the 1988-1989 season, and was written out of the show (so I've read; I was not watching the show then) with the explanation that David had moved to Florida. Based on some things I have read on the internet (which is all I know about this), that episode was produced and aired *before* Northern Calloway's death. So the character's absence already had been dealt with and explained, and though Northern Calloway passed away soon afterwards, "David" never died, he just "moved away." So it really would not have made any sense to bring the subject of death into it at that point, since the character was gone and his absence already had been explained.

If anyone wants to read the article from the Nashville Tennessean (September 20, 1980) regarding the earlier incident with Northern Calloway, it can be "Googled" at

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=n...19083434.01066.00000824@ng-fi1.aol.com&rnum=1
  15. Animal Jam

Animal Jam New Member

Northern Calloway doing the Emmys

I was watching my schoolhouserock DVD.. and Northern calloway was on it! :excited: He was doing the 1976 Emmy awards for best children's show. the nominees were Mister Rogers neighborhood,Sesame Street,and,Schoolhouse Rock.
  16. Mark The Shark

Mark The Shark New Member

Northern J. Calloway Vs. Marvel Comics

I was digging around on the internet yesterday and I happened upon a couple of court cases involving a suit filed by Northern Calloway against Marvel Comics (which then countersued him), over intellectual property rights to a screenplay Northern Calloway had written. If you're interested, it can be found at

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=493&invol=120

and

http://www.tourolaw.edu/2ndCircuit/Pre95/91-9118.html

There's a lot of "legalese," but some of it made some interesting reading...
  17. dvakman

dvakman Member

Wow.

The Northern Calloway saga just gets stranger and stranger.

Hey Mark!!! :sympathy:
  18. sesamelover

sesamelover New Member

David and Maria

I'm so glad someone else remembered David and Maria being a 'couple'!
    No one else I know remembers that!

At the risk of being a rumor monger...maybe he had hiv or aids or something.
    Back in the 80's that was big taboo, and perhaps that's why the events of his death were never mentioned.
  19. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

One of my friends did that, carrying a flashlight, in his parents' restaraunt in Kentucky as a little kid. :)
  20. dvakman

dvakman Member

He wrote a children's book too?

http://Info