1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Northern Calloway

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by fishbone, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I remember that. After all, there is the famous scene on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" where they kiss.
  2. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

today marks the 15th aniversary of his passing.
  3. fatblue

fatblue New Member

I had just learned recently of his passing, it shocked me very much, as he was a favorite of mine.
  4. janicegroupie

janicegroupie New Member

Wow I can't believe it's been 15 years. I still remember as a child my mom informing me David from SS had died and being pretty surprised. I always enjoy watching old skits with him in it. He is definitly missed. :sympathy:
  5. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

When I read Northern Calloway's obituary in 1990,it said that he died in an asylum in NY! I personally didn't want to believe it,because he had always been the sweet & cool David from Sesame Street. So I believe that he passed away from cancer instead.
  6. dvakman

dvakman Member

Northern was such a young, cool, talented guy when he first joined the show, but he obviously had a lot of problems later on. It was sad the way his health and demeanor declined. He left a great legacy of work on Sesame Street that is, sadly, not very accessible to the general public. Hopefully this will change, someday.

Three cheers to Same Sound Brown. We loved ya.
  7. Rugby

Rugby Member

Great thread. I was just thinking of Northern the other day and how he used to be together with Maria as David on Sesame. When exactly did Luis come into the picture anyway? I was also wondering this the other day when I was thinking about Maria and David in Christmas Eve on Street. Has Luis always been around as the handy man? And if so, why wasn't he in Eve on Street?
  8. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

rememeber these 2 David sketches?

1 of them was mentioned a while back and seen in 1 of the SSU shows. David's trying to get out of a building and 1st 2 doors won't open and 3rd door has an open sign and has to walk through several doors with an open sign brfore he finally makes it out. > another 1 was where he's a baseball player named Sluggo and jerry Nelson's accoucing saying where the baseball gear, meaning the pad, mit and the others go. sluggo keeps getting it. finally he has everything on in the right place. nelson says Now you're ready to play ball! sluggo: well allright!! for some reason he has to calls for it a few times but after saying come on let me have it! all these other kind of balls come flying at him. and in both of these sketches, David's talking in a different voice.
  9. Schmoo

Schmoo New Member

It's funny, but David is what brought me to this website today. I was watching a SS video with my daughter and he was on it, and it got me to thinking "Hey, I wonder what happened to David!" I'm American but live in the UK now, and I grew up watching SS. Annoyingly, they don't show it over here now. :( So, I've tried looking for videos and basically anything SS related that I can get my hands on, because I want my little girl to grow up with it too. For anyone in the UK interested in the video I mentioned, it's called

Sesame Street Early Learners: Singalong/Playalong Games and Songs (packaging says circa 1991, but the clips were from 1985)

and it features a lot of songs with David. I found it in a thrift shop for £1.00!
  10. rollingchild

rollingchild New Member

Does anybody remember David (played by Northern Calloway) did some tumbling on the yellow gym mat (which was also seen on 4 kids on a mat (4 disabled kids with the Count's voiceover), before and after circus (Linda & Luis), and big bird's home movies (featuring Maria and Luis))?
  11. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

I did read about what happened to Northern Calloway. It's so sad that his life ended in a tragic way. David was one of my favorites on the show. I do remember reading about his death in the newspaper, but I didn't believe that cancer was the cause of his death (he didn't look like he was that ill on his last season).