Northern Calloway

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
sesamelover said:
I'm so glad someone else remembered David and Maria being a 'couple'!
No one else I know remembers that!
I remember that. After all, there is the famous scene on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" where they kiss.

fatblue

Reaction score
I had just learned recently of his passing, it shocked me very much, as he was a favorite of mine.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
Wow I can't believe it's been 15 years. I still remember as a child my mom informing me David from SS had died and being pretty surprised. I always enjoy watching old skits with him in it. He is definitly missed. :sympathy:

Katzi428

Reaction score
When I read Northern Calloway's obituary in 1990,it said that he died in an asylum in NY! I personally didn't want to believe it,because he had always been the sweet & cool David from Sesame Street. So I believe that he passed away from cancer instead.

dvakman

Reaction score
Northern was such a young, cool, talented guy when he first joined the show, but he obviously had a lot of problems later on. It was sad the way his health and demeanor declined. He left a great legacy of work on Sesame Street that is, sadly, not very accessible to the general public. Hopefully this will change, someday.

Three cheers to Same Sound Brown. We loved ya.

Rugby

Reaction score
Great thread. I was just thinking of Northern the other day and how he used to be together with Maria as David on Sesame. When exactly did Luis come into the picture anyway? I was also wondering this the other day when I was thinking about Maria and David in Christmas Eve on Street. Has Luis always been around as the handy man? And if so, why wasn't he in Eve on Street?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
rememeber these 2 David sketches?

1 of them was mentioned a while back and seen in 1 of the SSU shows. David's trying to get out of a building and 1st 2 doors won't open and 3rd door has an open sign and has to walk through several doors with an open sign brfore he finally makes it out. > another 1 was where he's a baseball player named Sluggo and jerry Nelson's accoucing saying where the baseball gear, meaning the pad, mit and the others go. sluggo keeps getting it. finally he has everything on in the right place. nelson says Now you're ready to play ball! sluggo: well allright!! for some reason he has to calls for it a few times but after saying come on let me have it! all these other kind of balls come flying at him. and in both of these sketches, David's talking in a different voice.

Schmoo

Reaction score
It's funny, but David is what brought me to this website today. I was watching a SS video with my daughter and he was on it, and it got me to thinking "Hey, I wonder what happened to David!" I'm American but live in the UK now, and I grew up watching SS. Annoyingly, they don't show it over here now. :frown: So, I've tried looking for videos and basically anything SS related that I can get my hands on, because I want my little girl to grow up with it too. For anyone in the UK interested in the video I mentioned, it's called

Sesame Street Early Learners: Singalong/Playalong Games and Songs (packaging says circa 1991, but the clips were from 1985)

and it features a lot of songs with David. I found it in a thrift shop for £1.00!

rollingchild

Reaction score
Does anybody remember David (played by Northern Calloway) did some tumbling on the yellow gym mat (which was also seen on 4 kids on a mat (4 disabled kids with the Count's voiceover), before and after circus (Linda & Luis), and big bird's home movies (featuring Maria and Luis))?