1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by FuzzyBlue71, May 11, 2006.

?

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2006.
Complete, uncut episodes 59 vote(s) 46.1%
Compilations of the best skits 28 vote(s) 21.9%
A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits 41 vote(s) 32.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Lone Wolf New Member

As I understand it, it's only the pilot show that will be appearing on the DVD. Many people confuse the pilot show with the first official episode, but they're not the same thing. The pilot show refers to the test show that aired before the "official" airing of the first show in November 1969. The only Muppets that were in the test show were Ernie and Bert.

Remember when the format for SS was first conceived, the Muppets were originially only to appear as inserts between street scenes, like the short cartoon skits and "real life" films of animals etc. It was only after the test show failed, and they discovered that the Muppets were what really held the kids attention that more Muppet characters were created and were part of the street scenes, interacting with the human cast. AFAIK, while Kermit was in the first official episode, he wasn't in the pilot at all.

I'll be very happy if I'm proven wrong though. :)
  2. zns Active Member

So both the first episode and the test pilot will be included on the set, is that correct?
  3. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

We don't know for sure what episodes will be on there. I think it would be a crime for volume one to not include the first broadcast episode. I am not really sure on whether the "original pilot" is indeed the first test pilot, the promotional film with Rowlf ad Kermit, or something else.
  4. Lone Wolf New Member

No.

You might want to re-read my previous message.
  5. Big Bird Fan Member

And yet Kermit was on the Friends to the Rescue DVD that I posted about earlier in this thread.

I don't get why everyone is worried. Kermit will be on there, as well as the first episode and the pilot.
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I would agree, but I don't think this will happen. Maybe a few skits would be cut out, but not entire bits. Reason being, they probably have a deal to have the SS characters on TMS DVD's, so they'd have to let Kermit on SS DVD's... they still have to pay, but if the DVD sales are good, it's more of an investment.
  7. Grover New Member

I hope Kermit is included he's a big part of SS just like Ernie and Bert are and I am not going to purchase this set until the scenes with Kermit aren't edited. The point of releasing this set is including skits with characters that aren't shown currently.
  8. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

No, I do not think that is the only point of releasing this set. I think that the whole point is to allow nostalgic adults, and possibly hardcore fans like most of us, the opportunity to watch episodes that they saw as children when the series began. And even if Kermit is not on the set, there will probably still be episodes and bonus segments with characters who aren't shown much, or at all, anymore. I am sure that Mr. Hooper, David, and Gordon as portrayed by Matt Robinson, and most likely also Hal Miller, will be included. The cover shows that Herry Monster will be on the set, and he is not shown in new episodes or skits very often these days. I would be surprised if Roosevelt Franklin, Guy Smiley, and Herbert Birdsfoot will not be on the set. So there are a lot of characters who don't appear in current episodes who could be on the set.
  9. BradFraggle Member

I can't wait for this set. It sounds just perfect.

I hope they continue to release more volumes. I would love to see set 2 cover the next five years (1975-1979) and have them continue with at least 4-volumes to get us all the way up until '89 (the 1990s and 2000s arn't "old school" enough...yet). I didn't start watching Sesame until the very early 80s, so I wanna see those years released.

I can't wait for this set, and for more to follow. Thank you so much Sesame Workshop!
  10. rachael cook New Member

DVD's

Hi,

Are there any dvd's avaible of old episodes from the late 70's to early 80's? I want my kids (not that I have any yet) to see the same stuff that I did. With all of the TV shows that are now availble on dvd I would hope that this would be available as well.

rc
  11. Cookie fan New Member

12. rachael cook New Member

That's great.

What are the chances that they will release season sets like they are doing with the Muppets? How many episodes did they do in a season?

rc
  13. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Untill recently, there was an average of 130 episodes a season, which might make it impossible for entire season box sets to come out. Starting in the 33rd season, the number was cut down to 26 a season. Of course, I know that quite a few episodes wer elater rebroadcast in later seasosn with the on-screen episode numbers being different (and I think some of those episodes also had certain sketches replaced), so there could be less episodes then we think.
  14. rachael cook New Member

They only do 26 now? I figured that the number was around 100 a season. Why the huge drop off?

rc
  15. chpoof New Member

16. zns Active Member

OHboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy. Thanks for sharing this. Oct. 24 just won't come soon enough. They even have the pitch pilot on there.
  17. BEAR Active Member

No it can't come soon enough!! I am getting so giddy just watching those clips over and over and over!!! Oh boy!!
  18. Tim Kelly Member

It appears that Kermit will appear after all! :)
  19. Lone Wolf New Member

Yes, it looks like I may have been wrong (not that I mind at all)!

The Rapunzel clip was from one of the "Newsflash" skits, if memory serves correctly. :)
  20. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I have read that the earliest News Flash segments didn't have a title card, and they when the logo was introduced, they were added to later broadcasts of the earlier news skits as well. If any of those early news skits are shown as bonus features, I hope that they are shown however they were originally shown. I also hope that, if any news skits that originally had logos are included, the original News Flash logos are included, as opposed to later logos that replaced the logos in later showings. I don't mind if it's altered in one of the episodes. The actual episodes should be shown as they were originally aired, even if certain skits were edited or altered in those episodes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.