One Reality Exploitation Show Down...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------------------------
It's all blood and circuses. Depressed plebes desperate to point at someone else and think, "Well at least I'm not THEM!"

It's all pathetic and depressing. I refuse to be in the same room with any of it, any time.

-------------------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know in the 1930's there were the Dionne Quintuplets, who were literally put on display in a sort of zoo-like play pen for people to watch. Reality TV, or at least the idea beyond it, isn't all that new, sadly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know in the 1930's there were the Dionne Quintuplets, who were literally put on display in a sort of zoo-like play pen for people to watch. Reality TV, or at least the idea beyond it, isn't all that new, sadly.
It's scary to think that Jim was actually a pioneer of what was to be reality TV.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No, there was a JHP pilot shot just a few days before Jim's death that was like reality TV: basically, everyday people took camcorders with them and madea TV show based on what they did.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Emu1yecJaxI
Ohhhhh, I didn't know about that for some reason, thanks!

Well it's like the Internet. There can be quality content or trash; it all depends on who the creator is.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm reminded of when Letterman poked fun of Oprah and Gayle's annual roadtrip, and he did a skit where he and Paul Schaffer picked up a hitchhiker.

HITCHHIKER: Thanks for the ride... oh my God, you guys are David Letterman and Paul Schaffer! I watch you two on the Late Show all the time!
DAVE: Really?
HITCHHIKER: Y'know, I just KNEW you guys were gay!
DAVE: *Cheeky grin* Whadya mean?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, his intentions were good. :jim:
He basically came up with what reality TV should have been (or, close... what the early 90's MTV reality shows were), people with cameras and their actual lives or documenting something that would be fun yet inoffensive to watch.

I could go into a whole "This is all because of Survivor" thing, but I won't.

TLC is the worst channel in the world. Exploitation yellow journalism news ranks better for me. I don't have cable, but every time I'm over the house of someone that does have it, and I flip through, TLC either runs "Holy crap! I've got too dang many kids!" or "Mega super 8 ton fatty fat fat fatsos. EWWWW!" What do these have to do with "learning?" Thinspiration and abuse of fertility drugs are NOT educational.

Even those terrible sock puppet shows from the early 90's they had (you know what i'm talking about) were higher quality.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
TLC is the worst channel in the world. Exploitation yellow journalism news ranks better for me. I don't have cable, but every time I'm over the house of someone that does have it, and I flip through, TLC either runs "Holy crap! I've got too dang many kids!" or "Mega super 8 ton fatty fat fat fatsos. EWWWW!" What do these have to do with "learning?" Thinspiration and abuse of fertility drugs are NOT educational.
Wasn't there a guy back in 2009 or 2010 whostarted a one-man protest outside of the TLC headquarters, spouting off about how TLC was destroying the world by NOT encouraging people to protect the environment and the global population and such, and when the police tried to detain him, he shot and killed himself, like a martyr or something?

The only reason I ever watched TLC back in the old days to begin with was when they had the occasional programs about storm chasing and such, because that's always been another one of my interests, especially tornadoes, and they did have some great storm and tornado documentaries back then.