1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by SSLFan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Definitely, and I guess that's a testament to how well any characters work, if the audience is so incredibly moved when they are separated like they are in MTM and FTB.

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well that is true, in the Muppet Movie it was the moment when they where entering Lew Lord's office and Kermit gets a little nervous, and Piggy says "Kermit we are all right behind you" Then in MTM where they where talking about splitting up, and Scooter says "Kermit we still believe in the show" To me it are those lines that show the true core of who the Muppets really are.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I reiterate... The billboard was digitally altered. It had a far worse Disney movie originally on there. The one with the talking Gnomes. I'd rather see Spy Talking Cars than Talking Lawn Gnomes Destroying Shakespeare any day.

Totally. Anyone complaining that a Muppet Movie has no fourth wall just doesn't get it. Though, we'll never get a joke half as insane as that one sequence in MTI where the Rat Tour guide starts giving tours of where they filmed MTI while they're in the movie.

Seriously... GMC basically sang about how they're in a movie. Anything other than that is subtle. :news:

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

THREAD BUMP.

Didn't know where else to put this but, there were a few things that bothered me. For one, the fact that the movie focused so much on Gary and Mary's relationship, it took a lot of screen time away from the Muppet characters. This was a revival, the writers tried to shove in as many characters as possible But, because there wasn't enough time to do it, much of the film ends up feeling cluttered.

Second, and more then anything else, I really dislike the ending. I mean, it seemed like a really great bittersweet ending at first. They lost their studio, but they left with their heads held high because they still had each other and the support of their fans, and Walter finally gets to live his lifelong dream of working with his heroes. It was a perfectly heartwarming, and gutsy ending. But then, at the very last minute, during the end credits the writers just say "nope, never mind". It was so rushed, and it really cheapened the ending, and kind of undermined the message of the whole movie.

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, one of the teaser trailers pretty much spelled it out for us: the movie was going to be about Gary and Mary's relationship, and, oh yeah, the Muppets are thrown in there somewhere.

6. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think the Muppets got quite a bit of airtime in that. I especially liked it in the "Me Party" song, when the Gary/Mary relationship (or lack thereof as far as the song was concerned) was compared with the Kermit/Miss Piggy relationship.

Muppet Master likes this.
  7. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

The Gary & Mary stuff was tolerable and didn't last that long, so I'm perfectly fine with them.

8. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

The Gary and Mary stuff was mostly fine, but what i'm saying is, for what the writers were doing there was just too much of them. The movie was supposed to be a revival of the Muppets, and Jason and Nick were clearly trying to write in as many characters as they could, including very obscure ones like Wayne and Wanda, and Afgan Hound. But, because there were so many scenes with Mary and Gary, when certain characters show up they're reduced to short, pointless cameos, and it feels like they were just thrown in at the last minute. And i'm sure had they replaced a couple of Gary/Mary scenes, we could've gotten a little Rizzo and Robin in there too.

Muppet Master likes this.
  9. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

I get what you mean. At least they fixed that in MMW.

muppetlover123 and Pig's Laundry like this.
  10. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Something I just realized.

Gary and Mary have the same names as one you would refer to a character who's too perfect. Mary-sue and Gary-Stu.

Something that popped up in my head....

muppetgem likes this.
  11. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

I agree in some regards, that's the only flaw I truly find in the 2011 Muppets movie. However, it's a VERY minor flaw and I suppose they're reasoning for doing that it to, for lack of a better term, add a bit more adult to the Muppets movie. I mean in some regards, the parents and other older folks watching the film probably relate more to the relationship of an actual human couple more so than a pig and a frog. But I don't think it really took much screen time from the Muppets, if any at all really.

And for your complaint on the ending. Again, I do see where you're coming from, but at the same time, let's be honest, it's a family film. Even though when Kermit still had his head held high after seemly losing everything was a great heartwarming scene. Did you really think they were going to end the movie on a downer of "the Muppets can't be the Muppets anymore." I know you were talking about them losing the studio, but the name was a much more important thing to lose.