One Way Street revised their puppet pattern

pan

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to puppet building and have searched for kits all over the place. This thread has helped, but I was just wondering if the Project Puppet kits are good for beginners, cause I really like the looks of the puppets they have on their site. Only thing is, it seems like they don't use fleece, and I really would like to learn how to apply fleece onto the foam as well. Would you recommend the PP kits or should I go with the PFGS kit to start out with? Armslength too advanced to start out with?

Thanks!

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hi guys! Great thread, I agree.

Only thing is, it seems like they don't use fleece, and I really would like to learn how to apply fleece onto the foam as well.
In the next couple of weeks we will be coming out with an add-on pattern and instructions for The Rotondo Pattern that will include a full-size pattern for covering the foam head with fleece, instructions on two types of stitches used for maximum seam coverage, and some finishing techniques for the fleece. Fleece covering patterns for the other Forma Series patterns will follow.

I was just wondering if the Project Puppet kits are good for beginners
Of course, I think so. But I'm prejudice. :smile:
Anyone else like to comment on this?

MGov

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Project Puppet kits. The instructions are easy to follow, the pattern is flexible enough to add your own look but advanced enough to look professional. So yes, they are good for beginners.

On the other hand (no matter how many times that happens, it's still funny to say "on the other hand" in a puppet forum), I learned an awful lot just experimenting with all sorts of different stuff, trying to get just the style of puppet I wanted. I always feel kind of smart when I find out that some idea I came up with on my own is commonplace among pro puppet builders.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that if Project Puppet had been around when I started building, I would have jumped at it.

By the way, did you know "Saturday Night Live" is still on the air? I found that out last night when I was finishing up my first Project Puppet puppet. He needs a couple of minor aesthetic details, but he looks great!

pan

Reaction score
bezalel said:
In the next couple of weeks we will be coming out with an add-on pattern and instructions for The Rotondo Pattern that will include a full-size pattern for covering the foam head with fleece, instructions on two types of stitches used for maximum seam coverage, and some finishing techniques for the fleece. Fleece covering patterns for the other Forma Series patterns will follow.
That is awesome, Bezalel! I can't wait for those. You mentioned covering the foam head with fleece, will the pattern also include tips on covering arms and hands? Thanks!

MGov - Thanks for the advice! I don't really watch SNL much anymore, not as funny, but they do have their moments, but yea, they are still on, hehe. Please post a pic of your puppet, I would love to see it!

puppetsmith

Reaction score
You mentioned covering the foam head with fleece, will the pattern also include tips on covering arms and hands?
It will briefly touch on the construction of fleece hands.

MGov - Looking forward to a picture of your puppet too!