One Year wonders

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Another one year wonder was Wanda Coustoe. She was a Muppet Fish who actually had a tank of water that she wore on her head (probably so she could survive) but she was only on during the 25th Season. 1993-1994.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
Another one year wonder was Wanda Coustoe. She was a Muppet Fish who actually had a tank of water that she wore on her head (probably so she could survive) but she was only on during the 25th Season. 1993-1994.
Sesame Workshop probably didn't want to get complaints from the parent sof the shows fish audience, who would otherwise notice Wanda outside of water livign perfectly fine, and believing that the fish, too, could go on land without needing water.:wink:

JLG

Reaction score
Are you sure Herbert Birdsfoot was a one-year wonder? Because at least one long segment of his continued to show up at least into the late 80s.

I also have a vague memory of a 1989 or 90 episode that had some little character having a birthday. Recently, when I saw Athena, it seemed like she fit the vague memory of that character, leaving me to wonder if she also lasted longer than just one year.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
The funny thing about Herbert Birdsfoot, is that he actually was a one year wonder. He was there for the Second Season only and was supposed to be a replacement for Kermit. Kermit didn't appear in any Second Season episodes. After a year of using Herbert, they found his charachter to be rather boring and dull, so they brought Kermit back at the start of the 3rd Season. Now even though Herber was only around that one season. There were several inserts from that second Season, that continued to be aired until Season 30. The very last time they aired an old insert with Herbert in it, was in the 30th Season when Ernie threw Bert a surprize party, and Bert sure was surprized because he had thought Ernie had done something wrong. Herbert was one of the guests at Bert's party. All he really did in that one was yell surprize. So there's the history of Herbert Birdsfoot.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
JLG said:
Are you sure Herbert Birdsfoot was a one-year wonder? Because at least one long segment of his continued to show up at least into the late 80s.

I also have a vague memory of a 1989 or 90 episode that had some little character having a birthday. Recently, when I saw Athena, it seemed like she fit the vague memory of that character, leaving me to wonder if she also lasted longer than just one year.
They reused the Herbert segments long after they stopped using him?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
It seems like, at least starting in the 1980s, episodes with old Herbert Birdsfoot sketches were few and far between. When I was younger (by younger, let's just say before I started middle school, which would be 1995) I only saw one episode with a Herbert Birdsfoot sketch (the one where he wants to talk about the letter M, but the M keeps turning upside down). I had also seen the Ernie and Bert sketch where he appeared in the background (Roosevelt Franklin was also in that sketch) during the 30th season. I know that there was at least one episode from the 1980s that featured a Herbert Birdsfoot sketch (I forget the episode number).

I have a feeling that Herbert Birdsfoot sketches were repeated more frequently in the 1970s. The third season premier featured a Herbert Birdsfoot sketch, and I believe that one of the hawiai episodes featured one of his sketches.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Actually I was saying they continued using his segments long after they discontinued him.

I don't know why I put this ? at the end of my sentence but I agree they probably didn't use his skits as much durring the 1980s.