Pet Peeves

Whatever

Reaction score
Maybe there are some good cheerleaders, but not at my old school. Come to think of it, I already scored one over them- while they were queening it up at our graduation ceremony, I was sightseeing in Paris! :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Whatever

Reaction score
Another pet peeve I have is when people say they can't understand what I say or that I have a foreign accent. I spent 9 years in speech therapy, so I'm kinda sensitive about that. The foreign accent comment, however, is a new development- since I got back from Germany. I dunno, I should learn to deal with it. But it makes me really sensitive in situations where I can't understand other people because of an accent. I don't want to hurt their feelings.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
yes generalzations are not good to quote myself on the cheerleading thing

"note: I admire cheerleading as a sport, but what's attempted at our school is NOT I repeat NOT resembling anything such as cheerleading, other than the skirts are WAAAY short"

Actually, at our school, most of the nicer girls are bootleggers.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Another pet peeve I have is when people say they can't understand what I say or that I have a foreign accent[.....] But it makes me really sensitive in situations where I can't understand other people because of an accent. I don't want to hurt their feelings.
When I went to England I had a hard time understanding some people, and I felt incredibly stupid! It wasn't just the British English speakers, but all of the varying nationalities who learned English as a second language. I live in Southern California, and I always thought I was pretty patient with that kind of thing. I guess English and American really can be two different languages....I hate having to ask people to repeat themselves, I really do!

Jen

tiggie0686

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
When I went to England I had a hard time understanding some people, and I felt incredibly stupid! It wasn't just the British English speakers, but all of the varying nationalities who learned English as a second language. I live in Southern California, and I always thought I was pretty patient with that kind of thing. I guess English and American really can be two different languages....I hate having to ask people to repeat themselves, I really do!
Heh, I know what you mean! I have this one British friend...and it's pretty amazing that we're friends. Honestly, I have such a hard time understanding her sometimes. I'm always like, "What? Huh!? What!?" when I'm around her. It's kind of funny, but at the same time I feel like such a moron cause she has to say things realllly slowly for me to be able to understand her. :eek:

Beauregard

Reaction score
My pet peeve?

When people don't like flashing avators....

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Gosh,this is a good topic<can finally get these off my mind<thud>:

1)Anytime I walk into a store,or past a kiosk(standing stores inside the center areas of malls),the sales clerk has to start the,'Hi! How are you doing today! Is there anything I can help you with?! Well,if you have any questions,just let me know,ok!' Arghhhhh,makes me scream inside! When that happens,I usually either:ignore the clerk,tell them I'm just looking,tell them I just walked in the store/up to the kiosk(how can I know what I want,if I haven't looked at anything yet?),or basically just leave.Especially,now that they have the nail polishing kit kiosks(my roomate & I just run past it,or go another way to avoid it)or else the clerk try to sell me the nail kit,that I already bought from someplace else(thank you,lol).

2)I do agree with talking during a movie.Here in Maryland,people usually talk mostly during the late night shows(or if the movies have action/thriller plots).I usually rent movies nowadays,movies cost too much & to pay over $6.00 and have people yell,talk,answer cell phones?

3)My grandmother says,'Huh?' 'What'd you say?' before anyone says what they need to say.So how can she know what they are saying?

4)When people: stare,talk about you in front of you(like your not there).

5)I do agree with the throat clearing too.<handing person drink of water>

6)Cell phones! Why can't people answer their phone,as soon as it rings?! Does everyone around them need to hear what song their cell phone plays? And like I said before,cell phones in movies?Turn the thing off,come on now.Unless you're a doctor,cop or some emergency is going to take place<running over shutting cell phones off>lol. Oh, people who use cell phones in hospitals.Ok,there are signs posted everywhere not to use cell phones inside hospitals(or during certain times on a airplane flight,for that matter)because the phone will mess equipment up(how insensitive,ya think?)

7)People who spit on sidewalks<ewwww>.

8)People who can't throw away trash in a trashcan,just dump trash on the ground(or dump out ashtrays too).Ciggarette butts,gum(in a trash can,not so people can step on it).

9)Why can't people stop at stop signs,drive the speed limit,not tailgate,etc....Ok,I understand everyone has a destination to go to(get to work on time,etc...or maybe just go to the bathroom,I don't know). Why did they have driver's ed. & driving tests,if road rules are being broken anyway?

10)Why do people cut in front of others(in line),at the movies or mainly at amusement parks? Especially,if those in front of them have been in line for a long time.

11)Lack of communication between employers & employees.Not hard to tell someone what is happening or going thru your mind,ya know.

12)News broadcasts that focus on just one story,other stories may be important too.

14)Not running the a/c(or over running it) in a building,mall,movie theater.Find a comfortable temp.,please.If you can't stand that temp. yourself(managers,etc...),adjust the thermostat. :stick_out_tongue:

More of these to follow. :zany:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
Gosh,this is a good topic<can finally get these off my mind<thud>:

1)Anytime I walk into a store,or past a kiosk(standing stores inside the center areas of malls),the sales clerk has to start the,'Hi! How are you doing today! Is there anything I can help you with?! Well,if you have any questions,just let me know,ok!' Arghhhhh,makes me scream inside! When that happens,I usually either:ignore the clerk,tell them I'm just looking,tell them I just walked in the store/up to the kiosk(how can I know what I want,if I haven't looked at anything yet?),or basically just leave.
Grrrrr... I really don't understand what these corporate people are thinking. They make these policies for all the salespeople to follow, claiming that "survey results" indicate that this approach equals more sales as well as happier customers. Puh-lease. I know when I walk into a store I don't want to be approached, so I'm not crazy about approaching people and giving them this whole speil knowing they don't want to hear it... :rolleyes: And of course it's always the lowly workers like me who get grief about it, even though we don't make the rules and are just doing what we're told we have to do.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
3)My grandmother says,'Huh?' 'What'd you say?' before anyone says what they need to say.So how can she know what they are saying?
OMG!!!! My grandma does that too! My mom's mom. She'll ask a question, and before you're halfway done answering, she'll respond exactly like that. She does it all the time!!! It's a lot easier talking to her on IM... :stick_out_tongue:
Erin