Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I would love to see The Count in rarely-seen street scenes, sketches, outtakes and behind the scenes footage for the Old School Vol. 3 DVD.
I haven't seen many behind the scenes videos and outtakes featuring The Count but it will be a great treat in tribute to Jerry Nelson.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if the text on the press release will end up being the text on the back of the packaging. It seems that was the case with the second volume.

It's interesting that this press release only mentions two of the plots but not any of the inserts, whether part of the main programs or as bonus features. Early press releases for the first one mentioned many of the bonus sketches, press releases for the second one mentioned two segments ("What's the Name of That Song?", which was part of episode 666, and "Telephone Rock", which was a bonus clip), in addition to listing some guest stars (both ones who appear in the episodes and bonus clips) and some of the characters who were around during the 1974-1979 period.

But this one only mentions the plots for the episodes where they go to Puerto Rico and where Gordon and Snuffy race in the New York Marathon. No mention of guest stars, inserts, and no mention of characters who were introduced or exclusive to the early 1980s (well, besides mentioning Elmo).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wonder if the text on the press release will end up being the text on the back of the packaging. It seems that was the case with the second volume.

It's interesting that this press release only mentions two of the plots but not any of the inserts, whether part of the main programs or as bonus features. Early press releases for the first one mentioned many of the bonus sketches, press releases for the second one mentioned two segments ("What's the Name of That Song?", which was part of episode 666, and "Telephone Rock", which was a bonus clip), in addition to listing some guest stars (both ones who appear in the episodes and bonus clips) and some of the characters who were around during the 1974-1979 period.

But this one only mentions the plots for the episodes where they go to Puerto Rico and where Gordon and Snuffy race in the New York Marathon. No mention of guest stars, inserts, and no mention of characters who were introduced or exclusive to the early 1980s (well, besides mentioning Elmo).
It's not so much a press release as it is a product description.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This year every DVD release or rerelease (except for "Best of Friends) was promoted with a comic strip called "Sesame Bits". I wonder if there'll be one for this release. It'd be interesting to see a comic strip with Forgetful Jones or the Two-Headed Monster (or Dr. Nobel Price or Aristotle). Maybe even "imaginary" Mr. Snuffleupagus. Too bad they weren't doing the "Sesame Bits" comics when the first Old School came out, it'd be cool to see a comic where green Oscar meets orange Oscar (by the early 1980s I don't think anybody looks different enough from their current incarnations, at least not in a way that can be illustrated).

There's a LOT of 30 minute DVD's which somehow is all a child can tolerate on a DVD for some reason made specifically for them. While we would buy these before the internet had Youtube for rare sketches. The DVD's and VHS, that is. But those are meant for parents to shove in the DVD player/VCR to shut their kids up for a whole (completely worth the 10 dollar pricetag) half hour.
Actually, for the past decade (even as VHS was heading out the door but not entirely extinct) the majority of Sesame Street releases had been 40-60 minutes long (not counting bonus material). And this year there have been three releases (Elmo's World: Favorite Things, Elmo's Magic Numbers, and Best of Friends) that were over two hours long each. Of course many of the old 30-minute-long releases from the VHS era remain on DVD without any bonus features or extra video releases.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While the previous two releases contained some episodes where Muppet Wiki had tracked down Noggin edits, this will be the first Old School release where we don't know what Noggin edited at all. Who knows, maybe Noggin edited out rare characters like Aristotle or Deena and Pearl (after all, Noggin did edit some street scenes).

The season 11 premiere includes a rendition of Happy Birthday. I'll be surprised if that's not edited. I wonder if it can easily be edited out (they very well could put a short replacement insert in it's spot if it would otherwise look like a weird edit). If anything else in these episodes needs to be edited for any reason and they add in segments then I hope the replacement skits include rare characters from this period (if they're not in the bonus clips). Looking over the episodes at Muppet Wiki over and over in the past three days, it seems a lot of rare characters don't appear in these episodes. We do get Michael Earl's Forgetful Jones, but not his Snuffy, and no Dr. Nobel Price, Shivers the Penguin, Bruno the Trashman, Deena and Pearl, Biff and Sully, Countess, Ferlinghetti Donnizetti, Leslie Mostly, or Aristotle. I won't be surprised if we don't get all of these characters, but it would be disapointing if none of them appear on this set at all.

Hayley B

Reaction score
This would be the most years when I came around and started watching Sesame Street.

I wonder if they will include that episode where they were trying to tell Big Bird that Mr.Hooper died?

Though, I don't remember Mr.Hooper. I remember the guy that took over his store while he was in the hospital, I think. Ending up taking over his store.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Which is fine, I just don't want them giving me some psychological hogwash about them being "dangerous." The whole thing was insulting to my intelligence and contributing to the degradation of our popular culture saying children should stay away from anything old.
I think it's the whole hysteria about the fact they had one film about inner city kids playing in an abandoned construction site. I don't remember exactly what episode that was on, though. Like I said, I like vol 1, but vol 2 gets a LOT more play for me. But it really feels like SW was actually reading those hilariously stupid comments on amazon.com about well out of print Sesame Street videos. It's like, "I played this only released in the mid-80's VHS for my 1 year old, because as we all know they have an imprint and can understand the complexity of television programs, and he didn't pay attention to it. So I'm blaming it on the fact the clothing is dated. Also, I had to change his diaper and got some on my thumb. It's the video's fault." :rolleyes: The disclaimer is for those kinds of parents.

Though, I will say, there are legitimately kid's cartoon DVD's where the commentary is for adults. Typically, these are DVD's only older fans would buy (I.e. Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Team)

Actually, for the past decade (even as VHS was heading out the door but not entirely extinct) the majority of Sesame Street releases had been 40-60 minutes long (not counting bonus material). And this year there have been three releases (Elmo's World: Favorite Things, Elmo's Magic Numbers, and Best of Friends) that were over two hours long each. Of course many of the old 30-minute-long releases from the VHS era remain on DVD without any bonus features or extra video releases.
Yeah. Now they're sooooo generous, they have a whole HOUR on a DVD! 10 bucks for an hour's worth of footage, because kids have no attention span. :smile: And I had to buy "Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies" on VHS just to see Watermelons and Cheese. But the Telly and Oscar framing devices were brilliant, so I can't really complain about that. Only reason to get one of those is for the original framing storyline. Still... they could fit at least 2 or 3 classic VHS ports to DVD. Too bad Genius was the only one that did that.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I can't wait for this! The Old School's are great DVD's, but I'm kinda annoyed the last DVD only had a few episodes on it from 1978-79, I think it was...can't remember.
This one at least has a whole bunch more years on it, which means more episodes
YAAAAAAYYY!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But it really feels like SW was actually reading those hilariously stupid comments on amazon.com about well out of print Sesame Street videos. It's like, "I played this only released in the mid-80's VHS for my 1 year old, because as we all know they have an imprint and can understand the complexity of television programs, and he didn't pay attention to it. So I'm blaming it on the fact the clothing is dated. Also, I had to change his diaper and got some on my thumb. It's the video's fault." :rolleyes: The disclaimer is for those kinds of parents.
I know it sounds cynical but I still lean towards the theory they didn't want children to notice that there was life before the cash monster, so to speak. :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't wait for this! The Old School's are great DVD's, but I'm kinda annoyed the last DVD only had a few episodes on it from 1978-79, I think it was...can't remember.
All of the Old School releases have only one episode from each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.