1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Pre-Order "The Muppet Movie" coming to Blu-ray August 13, 2013

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they will have a commentary with Dave Golez and Steve whitmire for this movie

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

As far as the fact that all these DVD covers now have to include stock art or stock photos, Disney could have done a lot worse, but they could have done a lot better. I guess photoshopping the characters is cheaper than paying Drew royalties on his work... that is, if they have to pay him. It's better than the usual ADHD or completely minimalist crap they force on Kid's DVD's these days. Too bad they had to go 1990's with most of the cast.

I hunger for new posers.

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Janice was on the Rocky Mountain Holiday cover and Dr. Teeth was on the Rock Music with the Muppets cover. And they were both on the cover of It's the Muppets: Meet the Muppets and one of the Best of the Muppet Show releases (both use the same Electric Mayhem group shot), as well as The Muppets blu-ray.

I find it odd that the cover has Statler, Waldorf, and The Swedish Chef, who don't have big roles in the film and don't go on the road trip, but not Floyd (who was also missing from all The Muppets DVD/blu-ray covers... maybe Floyd should be called "The Mokey") or Zoot. It would have been great if they managed to show Sweetums chasing the car.

muppetlover123 likes this.
  4. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Well, at least they're relatively in scale with each other. Unlike the cover for The Muppets, with it's bigger-than-Beaker Walter and all. You'd think they'd show that they cared about a release by investing a little more of that care into the cover art.

Still miffed at Hollywood for sending the hand-drawn movie poster the way of the dodo. Photoshopped posters are just too sleek and sterile looking. It's just unnatural. UNNATURAL, I TELLS YA!

5. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Yargh. I do not like that cover a'tall. It looks like it was put together in an afternoon by a Photoshopper who had never seen the movie or TMS and was just told "The characters drive across the country, here's some stock art, put the green guy in the center."

But at least it's not as dreadful as the FrankenBoober on the cover of the re-re-release of FR's third season.

[​IMG]
    The light source is all over the place, the color of his skin is inconsistent, the shading depth ranges from mellow to harsh, and whoever perpetrated his didn't even try to make the halves of the arm extended toward us match up. I suppose he or she thought it was clever to make it look like Boober is flippin' a bird at us. And as a special bonus, Philo and Gunge (or their miscolored stand-ins) are being crushed to death.

My point? Er...that blu-ray cover is just another collage, no attempt at composition. But at least the photoshopping doesn't suck out loud.

With great filters come great responsibility.

6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree, the Muppet Movie cover is miserable looking, lol. That Fraggle one isn't too bad, I like it, but I see what you mean about consistency, etc.

7. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

Never mind, on both counts. Apparently, there is going to be a seperate DVD issue (which will probably be a reprint of the last DVD release, like MCC was), and there will be new bonus features! StitchKingdom reported that the Blu-Ray will include "Frog-E-Oke," (my, what a clunky title) which presumably is like the sing along bonuses you get on certain Disney movies.

8. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I'm getting the bluray but the frog e okie thing sounds kinda cool! I hope they have the bluray come with a dvd

9. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I would really like to see a tribute to Jerry Nelson on this, but I'm doubting it.

10. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I much prefer the original movie art, but I understand that these brightly colored photoshop designs are meant to entice younger viewers. Even so, it looks kind of rushed. I'm most interested in the movie and the special features inside.

[​IMG]

cjd874, ToonGeek, galagr and 5 others like this.
  11. dwayne1115

I do like the art work of that one!

12. minor muppetz

I hope this has more than just the Frog-a-oke feature. What is the appear of including sing-along clips as bonus features? Can't they just turn on the subtitles and use the chapter stops (or, if watching on a computer, just keep hitting the mouse on the time thing until you're where you want to go to)?

I'd like it to include a promo for The Muppet Show: Season Four. That'd be a great confirmation of its release. Or perhaps a promo for The Great Muppet Caper on blu-ray, which would confirm that would be coming (but season four is more important to me).

Features I want included:
    • The Muppets Go Hollywood
    • The Muppet Movie Screen Tests
    • non-fiction behnd-the-scenes features
    • photo gallery
    • Commentary by James Frawley, Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire, and Frank Oz
    • Muppet commentary (or Muppet Morsels)
    • Sneak peek at The Muppets... Again (with this DVD coming in August and the new movie coming in March, could it realistically have a clip or trailer?)

muppetlover123 and dwayne1115 like this.
  13. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Can somebody tell me what's wrong with this cover?

14. dwayne1115

There is nothing really wrong with the cover, It has a lot of Muppets, the background is really nice and it has the Studebaker as well. The problem most people are having is the fact that it looks and is photshopy. To me It's bright and colorful which I like, but the only thing that dose kind of bother me as they have taken the Jim Henson productions name away and placed it with the Disney name.

Even when they released it for Kermit's 50 year birthday they still had it under the Jim Henson productions name. I would even be Ok if they did something like Disney's Muppet Studios or something like that.

15. minor muppetz

One problem I have with the cover (and this same thing applies to the classic poster as well) is that the studebaker appears to have no roof. I know it's so more characters can fit, but in the movie, the studebaker had a roof, and at no time in the movie did we see the roof come off. Maybe it would have been better if the characters were clearly sitting on top or hanging onto the side of the car.

One thing that would have made a good touch to this cover: Instead of putting Gonzo in the car, have him holding balloons in the far back distance. Too bad none of the photoshopped images are Muppet Movie-era photos.

16. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Bingo.

I do NOT appreciate Disney continually erasing Jim's name from the things that he did and replacing it with their own... yes, they own the Muppets now, but that's no excuse for them to try and make it seem like Jim Henson never existed. Just more proof of what a crooked and twisted company Disney is.

You can give me all that, "This is Disney, Disney would NEVER do anything wrong" crap you want, but yes they can. Walt Disney the man could do no wrong, but that doesn't mean his company is going to operate by his example... especially back when Eisner was in charge.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  17. dwayne1115

I do understand what you are saying,and it will be very interesting to see what they do at the very start of the movie. With the '05-06 release they did show that it was a Disney DVD, but at the start of the movie itself they show it as a "Jim Henson Pictures movie. You know the one where Kermit is on the camera crane that we first saw with "Muppets from Space". I'm almost certain that we will get the Disney opening and nothing more.
    Would not be sad if they edited out during the long helicopter, shot that where it says it was a Jim Henson productions,and also edited out Big Bird's line in "Moving Right Along".

18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I don't see them doing that. If they don't want people to know who Jim Henson is, they'd physically erase his name from the credits and such. They would've made new audio of Steve's Kermit introducing Bob Hope in the newest movie. The other DVDs of this mention it as either "Jim Henson Video" (which was the label) or "Jim Henson Productions Presents" (which is what the last re-issue had). None of them were ever called "Jim Henson's The Muppet Movie."

Disney is a company and the Muppets are property they now own, like it or not. They can slap their name on everything because they own them. Jim may have created them, but he doesn't own them anymore and the JHC has very lose ties to them now (their only contribution to the last movie was costumes for the characters). Yeah, the "Based on Disney Properties" in the credits on M11 bothered me a tad, but there was still plenty of Jim in that movie to be found.

And Disney technically spend some money to put Jim in the last movie on those light poles. Some exterior shots of the theater had a Shrek banner on the pole, by they spent the time and money changing it to Jim's; just for one shot mind you. They could've made it anything for their shameless promotions (like the Cars 2 billboard), but no, they made it Jim.

19. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

On a slightly related note, I've noticed that within the last couple years they've been using "Disney" more frequently than "Walt Disney" on their animated idents and DVD covers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they're erasing Walt's name, but it still strikes me as pretty generic =/

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  20. dwayne1115

Has anyone said or volunteer to do a review for Ble ray?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.