1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Pre-Order: "The Muppets" on Blu-ray and DVD coming March 20

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by BobThePizzaBoy, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know how much money I have? I can't even get the rest of the Fraggle Rock DVD's. It isn't a question of "OOOH! It's so much awesome better and the explosions on TF3 look real! Awesome awesome awesome!" It's a question of I don't have 80 bucks to buy a blu-ray and 200 bucks for a new TV, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've always hated the consumer discrimination of being poor and being only able to get 0.1% of everything I actually wanted. PS3? yeah! I couldn't even get an N64, and had to wait until the Super NES was obsolete so I could buy a used one. Even if I got one of these stupid things, It would be just as it becomes obsolete. And that's coming quicker than you think. I'd rather hold onto what I got until the inevitable of everything being a digital download.

And I agree with beaker on the matter... a slight improvement in clarity (something I doubt I could enjoy anyway with my bad eye sight) does NOT make a movie more enjoyable.

Still, you're all quite welcome to your nice pricy gadgets and the Blu edition. All I'm saying is putting all the special features exclusively on the premium format is extortion plain and simple.

2. MustSeeHDTV

MustSeeHDTV New Member

Hey, you can see in my post that I agreed with you that they should not make content only on one format versus another. That is just plain wrong.

I feel bad your vision does not allow you to enjoy HD. For kids movies/shows and Romantic comedies, it is really a waste as they are zoomed in anyway (like Beaker said you don't need to see pores). If you could enjoy it, the movies with great Vistas like Westerns, War Movies, or anything that shows great landscapes are really breathtaking in HD. I was lucky enough to catch the 2001 Superbowl in HD (Baltimore Ravens vs New York Giants) and you could see water on the field between blades of grass (especially when the player ran as it splashed up) from the rain eariler in the day. When I went into work the next morning, coworkers were saying "why there were some many players slipping during the game?" I said you didn't see all the water on the ground? They said they did not see any water. This is just things you just can't pick up in Standard Definition and does make it more enjoyable.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It enhances stuff, yes. I give it that. But some people just don't care about enhancement. Anything would be a subtle nuance unless you have HD eye balls. Even with Glasses I can barely make a difference out.

But fuzziness doesn't bug me. I tend to watch things on hulu in lower quality since they load up faster.

But yeah, discrimination of putting some core DVD special features is killing the DVD faster than Blu and digital downloads combined. I really hate that Disney's one of the biggest perpetrators of this, even when it comes to newer movies that are made FOR DVD. At the very least the plain DVD release should have the deleted scenes, if not most of them. Too much was cut out of this movie, I feel... I still love the film to death, but the extra exchanges and asides could have fixed the movie's pacing problems.

4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Im just not a fan of watching movies on super bright 55" wall mounted flat screens on blu ray. for gaming it's nice...i have well to do friends in the bay area(one of my friends is a couple that works for lucas) and they have all the latest technology. Gotta say I just prefer watching a dvd movie letterboxed on my 2003 "tru flat" boxy tv...those tvs that were the last kind made before flat lcds became the standard. I enjoy vhs stuff that will never be on dvd, looks pretty good on there.

I'm a big cinema buff, seen close to 5000 movies in my lifetime...but lately I just been preferring to go to the movies or other stuff...so my time invested in home movie going isn't what it used to be.

Remember when "HD-DVD" was hyped as the next big thing? That didnt work out, for two years they hyped that. By the time I get a blu ray the next evolution will be out. I also dont like the way the blu ray format has come muscled in...I see dvds as or more expensive now than blu ray as a way for stores like Target to force people to buy them.

5. MustSeeHDTV

MustSeeHDTV New Member

You both are right. Technology is always changing and it is changing fast. That is the problem with being a late adopter as it will change when you get it, but as DrTooth said not everyone can afford it early or midways. To be fair though about HD-DVD, it was competing against Blu-ray (which won because of the playstation3) just like beta competed against VHS.

The next wave of TV will be the 4k to 8k resolution (HDTV took 30 years to go into effect and the next transition seem to be happening 15 years later). This will pass 35mm film as HDTV is close to 35mm in resolution (or at least 8k will). I heard that Toshiba is making an 4k that will allow 3D that won't require glasses by using that high resolution and interlacing the effect to make 3D (with a lower resolution 720p). I personally don't like the current 3D and don't have one, but people are saying to get them to go 3D it need to be glasses-less. Also, LG and Samsumg are supposed to be announce in January are 55" OLED HDTVs at the Consumer Electronics Show, which don't require backlight. They produce better colors and contrast then even the old CRT tubes or plasma. I saw the 7" Sony OLED years ago and it looks amazing (almost Alien). I bet that 55" OLED will cost like price of car and will not be 4k or 8k resolution.

6. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Enters thread

I'm sorry. I thought this was the thread about The Muppets DVD/Blu-ray. Not a discussion about the merits of blu-ray.

Exits quietly :o

7. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Yes guys, if you want to discuss Blu-ray vs. DVD please do it in another thread. Thank you.

8. MustSeeHDTV

MustSeeHDTV New Member

Statler: "Is this movie in (Blu-Ray) 3D?"
    Waldorf: "Nope, the Muppets are as one dimensional as they've always been."

Well, we don't know what the features are yet, but 3D won't be one of them.

Ha..to throw that joke in there in light of the angst. Wocka, Wocka......

9. caper

caper Member

Nice!! But when is Season 4 of the Muppet Show coming out!!!

10. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, now that it's been forever, Season Four will see release alongside this new movie. The Muppet Movie and Great Muppet Caper would be great on blu-ray too... with some REAL bonus features! ;)

11. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

so did anyone pre order this yet

12. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

Nope, I think I'll wait till we get just a tad closer to the release date (perhaps I'll do it in Mid January). That way I won't have to wait for it TOO long.

13. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

14. KermieBaby47

I've never preordered any movies (well, I used to preorder Disney videos from Disney Store YEARS ago when they came with those beautiful lithograph prints, ah... the good ol' days). I just print off my $5 OFF Coupon from Disney Movie Rewards and go into Walmart (where they're usually $5 less the first week of release) and get my blurays for less than the DVD release! :)

That said, Amazons' preorder prices are usually great, I'd just rather have my new Disney releases the morning of, you know? ;)

a_Mickey_Muppet likes this.
  15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Nothing beats the fun of picking up a dvd in stores. Every single Muppet dvd since 2001 I've picked up the day of release in stores (including Ed Sullivan Best Of Muppets and the Lionsgate Henson Muppet releases) I'll miss physical media if it ever goes away.

Drtooth likes this.
  16. Bellygrub

Bellygrub Member

Haven't pre-ordered yet. I'm waiting to see if they'll be a special collectors edition (with a bust or some such, but I doubt it) or if Disney will be doing a litho (they've done them for the Lion King and Tangled in the past year so one can hope!).

17. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Pre-ordered Wocka Wocka pack! (Screaming) :)

18. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

I'm holding off on preordering my copy. I'm waiting to hear more about this box set of a ton of Muppet movies/specials first.

19. KermieBaby47

Hmm?! Whassat?!? Looks like I gotta do some research, ha ha. ;)

20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I'm guessing we won't know til late Jan or Feb regarding the actual content of the home release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.