Professor Hastings

mikebennidict

Reaction score
what i wonder is over the years when they've discontinued these muppets for whatever reasons quite a few of the segments they were in have often been reused. 1st time i saw the What's My Line episode with hastings was in the late 70s and i'm sure he was gone by then. Beautiful day i assume was canned after the 1st season but being born 4 years after SS debuted i saw quite a few skits with him including the B skit with Kermit when he makes that that loud B sound. scared me for sure. otherwise Roosevely Franklin segments were pretyty much gone after they stopped using him.

BEAR

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
what i wonder is over the years when they've discontinued these muppets for whatever reasons quite a few of the segments they were in have often been reused. 1st time i saw the What's My Line episode with hastings was in the late 70s and i'm sure he was gone by then. Beautiful day i assume was canned after the 1st season but being born 4 years after SS debuted i saw quite a few skits with him including the B skit with Kermit when he makes that that loud B sound. scared me for sure. otherwise Roosevely Franklin segments were pretyty much gone after they stopped using him.
Roosevelt Franklin...now THERE is a character that was canned for being a "negative stereotype" and also Matt Robinson (Gordon) did his voice before leaving the show. We all loved Franklin though. I know I miss him

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Roosevelt Franklin...now THERE is a character that was canned for being a "negative stereotype"
Nah, he wasn't. I know he wasn't. Don't ask me how or why; I just know it.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Nah, he wasn't. I know he wasn't. Don't ask me how or why; I just know it.
Here is just a little bit of information about Roosevelt Franklin...

From an article on Sesame Workshop's official site:
"The intelligent little purple student, who attended Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School, was popular during Sesame Street's first eight seasons. Roosevelt spent most of his airtime in class as a way to help teach the show's curriculum. Roosevelt and his classmates were known for their wise-cracking comments and rowdy behavior, which is one reason they were so funny and the same reason they were taken off the show. Sure, the lessons they were learning were good examples, but their behavior wasn't!"

From Sesame Street Unpaved:
"The character was abandoned because he was thought by some people to be a negative cultural stereotype and because the schoolroom in which he spent most of his time was considered too rowdy and a bad example."

These are only a couple of sources. Yes, I DO my research. :wink:

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Here is just a little bit of information about Roosevelt Franklin...

From an article on Sesame Workshop's official site:
"The intelligent little purple student, who attended Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School, was popular during Sesame Street's first eight seasons. Roosevelt spent most of his airtime in class as a way to help teach the show's curriculum. Roosevelt and his classmates were known for their wise-cracking comments and rowdy behavior, which is one reason they were so funny and the same reason they were taken off the show. Sure, the lessons they were learning were good examples, but their behavior wasn't!"

From Sesame Street Unpaved:
"The character was abandoned because he was thought by some people to be a negative cultural stereotype and because the schoolroom in which he spent most of his time was considered too rowdy and a bad example."

These are only a couple of sources. Yes, I DO my research. :wink:

It doesn't matter. I just know it's not true. Whatever I say about Roosevelt becomes the truth, just like whatever you say about Prof. Hastings becomes the truth. Do you see how ridiculous it really sounds to state an opinion as if it was a fact?

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
It doesn't matter. I just know it's not true. Whatever I say about Roosevelt becomes the truth, just like whatever you say about Prof. Hastings becomes the truth. Do you see how ridiculous it really sounds to state an opinion as if it was a fact?
I am not saying that whatever I say automatically becomes fact. I am simply stating information from sources. These are not my personal opinions, they are stated facts from reliable sources (i.e. Sesame Workshop's website and SS Unpaved). Why are you making this so complicated?

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I am not saying that whatever I say automatically becomes fact. I am simply stating information from sources. These are not my personal opinions, they are stated facts from reliable sources (i.e. Sesame Workshop's website and SS Unpaved). Why are you making this so complicated?
It's also possible to have an OPINION outside of what has been documented. Just because it was never written that Professor Hastings was considered a negative stereotype, doesn't mean that it couldn't be true. While it's true that the Sesame Street Unpaved book said nothing about this, it's also true that the book didn't even get his picture right. The idea that Prof. Hastings may have been shelved in part because of a negative stereotype is a reasonable speculation, but your reaction to it was way over the top. We just have two different opinions as to whether he was or wasn't; neither one of us know it as a fact.

Personally, I think all of the original muppets should have remained because none of them were ever harmful to anyone.

BEAR

Reaction score
I suppose you have a point about some of this. You are right that just because it wasn't documented it can't be true. There is always room for personal insight and theories. I should know, I come up with some of my own. So I apologize if I reacted the wrong way to you.

Also, I agree with you in saying that none of them should have been taken off because they were never harmful to anyone. There were complaints written in about some characters of course, but some people these days are way too sensitive about being "politically correct" it is so ridiculous.

Again, Geebee, let's put this aside and be friends. Besides, I enjoy the conversation and the debates can be fun. Also, I never meant to upset you or anything.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I suppose you have a point about some of this. You are right that just because it wasn't documented it can't be true. There is always room for personal insight and theories. I should know, I come up with some of my own. So I apologize if I reacted the wrong way to you.

Also, I agree with you in saying that none of them should have been taken off because they were never harmful to anyone. There were complaints written in about some characters of course, but some people these days are way too sensitive about being "politically correct" it is so ridiculous.

Again, Geebee, let's put this aside and be friends. Besides, I enjoy the conversation and the debates can be fun. Also, I never meant to upset you or anything.

I apologize if I overreacted too. Don't mind me; I just read the first message after an exhausting day. LOL I enjoy the conversations with you as well.

Have a great day. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I apologize if I overreacted too. Don't mind me; I just read the first message after an exhausting day. LOL I enjoy the conversations with you as well.

Have a great day. :smile:
Besides, I think there is only room for me to dislike one other member here at MC. :wink: