Puppety Opinion Please

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There are ways to give full information without giving the full information. I found that my best knowledge came from research, and that's what I always suggest people to do: research. Sometimes, it ocmes in the form of reading these posts, but other times it comes from digging through library books or more.

I don't mind giving information when there is a direct question asked of me, and the reason is that in the past I've had a need to ask (when research didn't pan out) and was rejected the answer. It's my duty to teach the information I have to those who do not have it yet, and if it's definitely something that I feel will ultimately infringe on my characters I try to find another answer for the inquisitives.

As Buck says, I wouldn't dare give out my personal patterns, but patterns which are readily available online or in books I will direct folks to those.

Kev

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I finally have a name picked out for my company. I have a new design for my puppets but I need to find out how to go about registering my business name . Also a patent for my puppet design. Do I even need a patent on a pattern? I did a serch of the forum and found nothing on this.

Iokitek

Reaction score
interresting thread :smile: I was wondering about these things myself.

Thanks for putting tutorials on your site Michelle. The Blue Boy pattern has been very helpfull to start off with. And so was the eye tutorial. I made my own version out of transparent spoons though. Once I get access to my ISP again I'll see if I can post a tutorial.

Right now I am in the process of designing, selecting and testing building materials for a 2 person rodpuppet system that should allow me to do all these things 'at the same time' :

- Move the puppet itself, ofcourse, but weight distribution is very important
- Move the head in all directions
- Move the arms and being able to control all fingers seperately
- Move the mouth in 2 different positions and being able to open wide or close it entirely while remaining in position
- Move the eyes in all directions
- Make the eyelids blink seperately or together and being able to keep their position
- frown the eyebrows

I'm really exited about this whole project because it allows me to do so much at once using only 2 puppeteers. And without the use of animatronics. Although I might use some household electronics for certain parts eventually though. I just don't know that much about electronics so I'm trying to work it all out the oldfashioned way. I'm actually building this out of wood and pvc pipes etc.

The more I work on this the more I realize that although every individual mechanic isn't that original, the way I put it together is, as far as I can tell anyway. After reading this thread I have decided that when I have worked out the details it's best to apply for a patent and then I'll see if it is really that original.

But I do seem to be succeeding quite well in designing multi functional low-budget puppets so far :smile: even if I won't be able to get all the details in there in the end, only a few of them would already be more than most rod puppets have as far as I can tell. I'm just trying to go for the gold before I settle for silver :stick_out_tongue:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
my only thought on this is that learning something for yourself, instead of being told is much more important in the long run , it trains your mind to think, and expand, and to find new solutions for things,

if you are just told how to do something i dont think u are really learning.

but that just my humble opinion

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
My only thought on this is that learning something for yourself, instead of being told is much more important in the long run , it trains your mind to think, and expand, and to find new solutions for things, if you are just told how to do something I dont think you are really learning.
Absolutely, I feel the same way. I've learned best by teaching myself, it allows for all sorts of creative inventions.

Woofus

Reaction score
If I may toss my two cents in here.... I don't mind when people ask me questions about something I know, or do. My biggest problem is when they don't have the gumption to do a little research on their own, first. I'm in the process of making my very first puppet. (Yay me!) I have a TON of questions. But, I would feel kind of bad, or even lazy to go to some of you and just ask you to "Show me everything you did to make ____". I've done a bunch of reading, searching the web, checking out books etc. I feel that I have a good basic grasp of how to do it. Now, this doesn't mean that I may not come along with a question or two later on, but I feel I have enough knowledge and creativeness to go at it by myself.

Of course we'll have to see how the first puppet turns out. :wink:

Woofus!

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
The fact is that virtually all of the puppets (professional or otherwise) offered on the net for under $100-$150 aren't really that "professional" anyways.
Come on, Buck. That's not fair to say. I mean what defines "professional"? If a sock puppet was used to represent a Pet Store Company, it becomes a professional puppet regardless of the materials it's made of. I've said truthfully before, that I build all my puppets out of affordable materials, so that the average puppet buyer can afford them. Most are ministries, but many are professional puppeteers. Puppetplanets' puppets, mine, and several others out there, are considered professional enough for folks to keep buying them over and over and over again. Now I admit, I just skimmed through the posts here, so maybe you didn't mean PuppetPlanets work, or mine for that matter. But I still need to voice my opinion. Building affordable puppets is solely how I've supported my family for 3 years now. Not many builders can say this. We must be doing something right. My feeling is, give the customer what they want, make them happy, and your product will be considered professional, regardless of how much you sell them for.
As far as sharing ideas (what this thread is really about), I prefer to share my ideas with other pro puppet builders, rather than with customers willing to buy my work. But only if the other pro puppeteers are willing to share their ideas with me. Business is business. Even The Henson Company as you know, has declared the invisible triangle method to be a trade secret. There's got to be limits and rules to sharing. Just one guys thoughts.​
www.puppetsnstuff.com
http://stores.ebay.com/PUPPETSNSTUFF-PUPPETS

Yahnke

Reaction score
I agress with buck in the fact that I don't think anyone should feel the need to share secret they have developed on their own- ESPECIALLY if those secrets are essentail to their lively hood. If you are supporting your family by building puppets then i wouldn't be disappointed if you didn't tell me how to build a puppet- although i also would blame anyone for asking, for you'll never know if you don't ask. It's like a mechanic. Most people could fix their own cars if they knew what tools to use and how to do it- yet a mechanic won't guide you through it because that is how he supports himself.

I do have one issue though with buck's comments- Who decides what quality makes a puppet "PROFESSIONAL." I would call many of the puppets for sale professional. I would certainly call puppet-planets professional. Certainly more professional than puppets from one way street- not to say that OWS are not to be considered professional.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
I finally have a name picked out for my company. I have a new design for my puppets but I need to find out how to go about registering my business name . Also a patent for my puppet design. Do I even need a patent on a pattern?
I believe that patterns cannot be patented; patents are only issued for original inventions. Patterns are covered by copyright. You can double check this with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. They have a web site at http://www.uspto.gov

I think to register a business name in most U.S. states you simply file a DBA or "Doing Business As" through your city or county.