Puppety Opinion Please

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
This parallels my belief that copyrights are a hinderance to artistic excellence. They can be useful for somethings, such as ensuring that a song doesn't get used for opposite purposes than for which it was written -- that would destroy the original artist's intent. However, I would strongly advocate free usage of songs or any visual works which, when incorporated into a film, correspond beautifully with the message of that film and essentially combine forces to spread the original message more powerfully.
I guarantee your position on this would change if someone started using Scary Larry and made millions merchandising him. That's why copyright exists. :stick_out_tongue:

Still, I guess by Bill Gates' standards I'm one of those pesky "Creative Commies" who advocate Lawernce Lessig's idea of Free Culture too. Now what's misunderstood about "free" culture is that in many cases it's not entirely free (unless the author of a work chooses it to be) but it is fair. There's more info available on the Free Culture web site

A complete absence of copyright would undermine many artist's ability to make a living and would allow them (and their work) to be exploited unfairly, but copyright as it exists today is sorely in need of reimagining.

Iokitek

Reaction score
That Free Culture concept is very interresting. I've been reading up on it for abit. And so far it's very insightfull from what I can tell. I'm not the kind of person to copy someone elses ideas as a whole. But it's obviously good to read up on it some more. Wich I will surely do :smile:

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Iokitek said:
On related note: I notice alot of puppet builders are not exactly happy people. I'm guessing this has to do with the stress of trying to build up a business.
A lot of people period are not exactly happy people. Who among us doesn't have stress, no matter what you do?

King Jim

Reaction score
Iokitek said:
That Free Culture concept is very interresting. I've been reading up on it for abit. And so far it's very insightfull from what I can tell. I'm not the kind of person to copy someone elses ideas as a whole. But it's obviously good to read up on it some more. Wich I will surely do :smile:
Yeah.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I guarantee your position on this would change if someone started using Scary Larry and made millions merchandising him. That's why copyright exists. :stick_out_tongue:
A complete absence of copyright would undermine many artist's ability to make a living and would allow them (and their work) to be exploited unfairly, but copyright as it exists today is sorely in need of reimagining.
I totally agree with you on this one Buck. Look at all the inventions in the world.(I realize this would fall under patents and not copyrights but its the principle) what if noone was able to take the credit for there own invention. What real motivation would anyone have to invent or further the human race? People have a need aside from the paycheck that comes with it to be rewardeed for their contribution to mankind. Even in puppet building. If you make strides to develope this art, human nature is to want your name to go on as having been the one that made this accomplishment. Still I feel that in the event you are unable to go on, the steps you have taken should be forwarded to another so whatever it is you do wheather it be rocket science or puppetry can advance even a step beyond you.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Wow! who dug this bone from it's grave?! I jump in to see if anything new is happening around here and thought I had entered a time warp or something. :stick_out_tongue:

Hello everyone.
-M

Rugby

Reaction score
"if you are just told how to do something i dont think u are really learning."

Then what is the point of going to school or college? Should we all just learn how to do whatever we want to do on our own? Do doctors and surgeons just figure it out on their own? Do plane mechanics just figure it out on their own? Come on.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Rugby said:
"if you are just told how to do something i dont think u are really learning."
Then what is the point of going to school or college? Should we all just learn how to do whatever we want to do on our own? Do doctors and surgeons just figure it out on their own? Do plane mechanics just figure it out on their own? Come on.

there is a big difference between school and being told how to do something,

first of all at school u are given basic skills and then they are expanded on thru the years , and a doctor or surgeon, actully learns alot thru working with mentor and learing anaotomy , studying books and then under the guidance of others is taught , how to do all that is needed, , same for mechanics, and if you really want to get down to it,

college, and university students, medical students, and mechanics, and engineers all do something that somebeody just asking for an answer dosent.

THEY ALL PAY TUTION, OR SCHOOL FEES, OR FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION COuRSES!!!!!!!!!

now im not saying im apposed to giving advice here and there, but , im not going to give away the whole store of knowledge for free,sorry but thats life sometimes you have to pay for things, and if you want to learn every little nuance , then i will gladly teach you , but for a fee, like any other teacher.

i spent years of life training my self, working as a intern, as a low level employee, and finally as a recognized designerand builder, that took hard work effort , and determination, why would i just give away my talent or Knowledge for free ???????

Rugby

Reaction score
It's nice to see the reality and truth that puppetry is actually all about the money. Not. If somebody were to start up a competitive company using your knowledge, I could understand. But refusing to help a fan of puppets for recreational use only is mind boggling.

Give them advice on how to build a puppet and sure, they may not buy one of yours. Don't tell them and they still might not buy one of yours. Can you really blame people for asking? Have you tried researching puppet building? There isn't exactly a wealth of quality information out there. I could almost vomit everytime I hear somebody refer someone to The Muppets Make Puppets and that kind of information. I think most of us are past making puppets with sandwich baggies and paper plates. The fact is, there isn't much out there to help one build a halfway decent puppet. That's why people come here, to a popular muppet web site, to ask. Maybe they think this would be the best resource for getting puppet building advice. The greed in the puppet business just annoys me.

I should say, I don't really have a problem with your decision to not help others in the hobby of puppetry as much as your attitude towards those that ask for help.