Question about making puppets

spcglider

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of writing an article about patterning. I have a couple of pretty good tricks that help when you are trying to create your own custom pattern.

Does anybody know a good place to post such an article should I ever get it completed?

-Gordon

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can post it on PuppetBuilding.com. I am opening up the site in the next few days so anybody can post articles and tutorials on it. If you want to post the article before I have the public feature ready just email me privately and I'll set you up with an author account.

GonzoDTR

Reaction score
Kermit Question

I was wondering, has anyone made a Kermit the frog? I have really been wanting to see a home made Kermit. I have also been wanting to make my own. Also, does anyone have any advice to build Kermit? I would get the replica that MR is making but it's only a photo Kermit. That would be appreciated.:smile: Thanks.

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
http://www.puppet-planet.com/kermitpatterns.htm has a great pattern for kermits head and mouth. his body is rually just a tube, and his fingers are pieces of cloth with wires in them so they can bend. i had a picture of a kermit that i had made, but it got deleted when my computer got a virus.anyway, hope i was of some help. :crazy:

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
hey everyone,
i have a bit of a challenge. i need to make a giant dragon puppet head( needs two arms to operate) by october. i dont really knok what to make it out of. i was carving some large polystyrine sheets, but i dont really know. any suggestions, or better yet websites? i need its mouth to be able to open and close. thanks!

Teenager's

Reaction score
You could use Airex closed-cell PVC foam and pattern it or L200 foam. I'm using Airex right now in combination with scott foam and its really nice to work with. The Airex is SUPER light and easy to glue. I'm glad I used it because if it was All foam it would have been WAY too heavy.

Also, when I puppeteered Audrey II, the puppets we rented were made of L200 foam and Pod 4 was still 12 ft long and 5ft wide but it only weighed 30 pounds which was SO good and helpful for puppeteering agility.

When you say it needs two arms to operate do you mean similar to an Audrey II....like in that position?...or something else?

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
well, I had originally indended for my dragon puppet to be operated by using my arms to open and close its mouth, much as you would you use your hand to open and close a normal puppets mouth, but now, moving it head, mouth neck, and eyes will be by a system of pulling cables. i still need the head to be as lightweight as possible though. thank you for your advice! now for another problem. what should i use to cover the frame of my dragons body? if you want to see the make up of my dragon, please email me at ercfrnss@q.com. i would be glad to explain things using words and pictures.
thanks again!
Eric

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
hey. what is the audrey II? do you have any pictures of it that you could email me?

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
hey everyone! i was just wondering.. i was going to make a latex puppet, but i dont know what kind of liquid latex to use. any help?