Question about the release of "The Lorax" in March 2012

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I get that feeling with a lot of things, Drtooth... that's basically why I created "The Am I the Only One Thread" in the first place.
If it makes you feel better, The Cat in the Hat is my friends favorite movie. So that makes TWO people who like it :zany:

TSSD

Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, The Cat in the Hat is my friends favorite movie. So that makes TWO people who like it :zany:
Make that 3! It's not too great, but it's okay.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Admittedly, it's NOT the BEST movie that was ever made, but it's not the worst either... it's certainly a lot better than most comedy movies these days (like pretty much all those Jason Segel-esque manure piles).

I think another thing about it too is that post-Austin Powers, does anybody even really like Mike Myers? Again, The Love Guru TANKED, BOMBED, FAILED, and was labeled the worst movie of all time (but again still, IMHO, it was good for a laugh), but Mike Myers seems to fall into the same category as Will Ferrell: he's pretty much only good at playing sketch characters, and as such, he's just not going to work out well in a movie. Austin Powers was successful, but the characters from the movies were so one-dimensional, and even when they did try to add some "conflict", it was corny and cheesy.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with you there. And even sketch characters he sometimes fails at. Wayne's World is one of my favorite movies. But Thinking about it, I dont like it for Wayne (Mike Meyers), I like it for Garth (Dana Carvey), as he pretty much carries the movie. Though, I cant really speak much for the SNL sketches as I dont watch SNL

I also didnt like the Austin Powers movies. Just throwing that out there

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It took awhile but I came around to the Wayne's World and Austin Powers movies, lol. I just don't see that happening for CITH, lol. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Somehow, I still can see 2 things happening with this movie.

1) The watered down environmentalist anti-consumerist plotline, while noble, completely loses itself in a pile of unwanted Lorax T-shirts, kid's toys, fast food promotions, video gamesand various other stupid things that wind up going to deep discount on their way to the dump.]

2) Some radio show host, MARK MY WORDS, will start griping about how evil liberal Hollywood is guilting everyone who lives in a pile of their own waste and drives a tank that actually rips a hole in the ozone behind it... even though I've seen a fair share of "War is the only answer, let's blow stuff up" come out of "liberal" Hollywood. yes, yes, yes... global warming is a "myth," and we have to look the other way when the oil company funds your show. Jeez! Does anyone think this will open any eyes? I don't see the point in preachy films anymore.

That said, I find the best environmental/anti-consumerist message in a movie is Over the Hedge. I really strongly suggest looking into that movie, it was pretty solid... it was the first corner Dreamworks turned that lead to a line of very good films. yeah, I could also say Wall*e had that message too... but in a different way.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Over the Hedge was kinda... eh... blah... I mean, it wasn't the worst non-Shrek DreamWorks movie, but it certainly wasn't the best... of course then again, I was in the middle of suffering from a depression when I saw it, so that probably effected how I was able to enjoy it.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dont know, I didnt think it was that spectacular. I mean, its ok. Its a movie I could watch multiple times and be ok with it, but its not a movie I would go out of my way to see

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dont know, I didnt think it was that spectacular. I mean, its ok. Its a movie I could watch multiple times and be ok with it, but its not a movie I would go out of my way to see
It dealt with the same subject matter without a level of Captain Planet preachiness. It's not the greatest film, but a 180 and complete improvement over Sharktale and those kind of films they were going to make at the time. Kung Fu Panda was much better a film, I feel... but this was the film that marked an improvement. I think I dug it more than I did Madagascar. Oddly, it was the ONLY time I ever seen an indie paper give a GOOD review to a DW movie and a bad review to Pixar (Cars, of course... I liked Cars).

But nothing bugs me more than consumer merchandise that says how environmental someone is unless it's made out of recycled materials and can be further recycled. it's like... JEEZ! Way to make everyone look hypocritical. It's like those USA #1 bumper stickers and magnet made in China. How I long for a shirt with a bored looking Kermit that says "Look! I'm doing the best I can here, but I still throw batteries away on occasion," a shirt with the Lorax that says, "I try very hard not to litter, but at LEAST I don't throw my KFC big cups and Family sized Dorito Bags all over my lawn!" or my personal favorite, one with Toxie that says, "Gee! I really hope these unsold shirts and wrappers they comes in don't end up in a landfill."

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Over the Hedge wasn't my favorite Dreamworks movie but it wasn't the worst. :smirk: I loved the plot but it's not 'I wanna watch it over and over' good! Steve Carrell, to me, made the movie more funny and entertaining. And I also wanna mention the soundtrack! I loved the music in it! Even though, it had very little music!