Questions about anything

Drtooth

Reaction score
Erm...I wasn't really talking about different ratings...my point was that the closer to an adult movie it is, the better it sells. Fun, family friendly movies don't tend to do as well.

Actually... no.

Not at all.

Look at it this way. Remember when Prometheus was released 3 weeks ago? All Box Office predictions were Prometheus was going to be the number one movie, Snow White and the Huntsman second, and Madagascar 3 to come in a distant third. In reality, when Saturday and Sunday came, the days where kids were off of school (vacation didn't exactly start yet) Madagascar 3 jumped to number one. And it was number one for 2 weeks, until Brave came out. Then it was number 2 (a distant one) to Brave, while the newly opened concept piece Abe Lincoln Vampire Slayer opened 3rd, and yet was the number one action/adult film.

Not to mention the tale of the awful Gnome movie that did gangbusters during a time when Disney tossed the contractual obligation of a film where it was sure to be ignored.

A Family movie will always win out (unless a huge franchise picture gets in the way, like it did with The Muppets), because it's a family activity. They just don't tend to do well in off seasons.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I believe what we're saying is that it seems that as time goes on, more and more of it is becoming more and more abundant and popular.
I'm not seeing the connection...I think it only seems more abundant because people are more used to it, and it is more acceptable to be on the radio. There's not "more" of it

Hubert

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the connection...I think it only seems more abundant because people are more used to it, and it is more acceptable to be on the radio. There's not "more" of it
That's exactly what I'm trying to say...it plays more of a role in everyday life than it used to...it's a bit more mainstream.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But whats the big deal? Don't like it, don't listen to it :smirk:

I found your comment about finding violent music to be relaxing only if you are the devil a tad offensive.

Hubert

Reaction score
But whats the big deal? Don't like it, don't listen to it :smirk:

I found your comment about finding violent music to be relaxing only if you are the devil a tad offensive.
Hrm...I never said it was a big deal...I was kinda just trying to answer a question... :stick_out_tongue:

Sorry if I did offend you a little there...but now I'm curious, do you really find violent music relaxing? Cause it's kinda an interesting idea to think about, considering violence usually isn't that relaxing of a thought... :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I like to joke that violent music makes me relax and relaxing music makes me violent. Especially when you are in a bad mood, listening to violent music is sort of an outlet. You can't be violent, but listening to someone else sing about violent things (depending on what it is), can help put you in a better mood.

Hubert

Reaction score
It's very interesting logic to think about...

*suddenly goes into extremely deep thought*

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like to joke that violent music makes me relax and relaxing music makes me violent. Especially when you are in a bad mood, listening to violent music is sort of an outlet. You can't be violent, but listening to someone else sing about violent things (depending on what it is), can help put you in a better mood.
Music that's supposed to make someone relaxed sounds horrid to me. That's what matter of taste is. I HATE the heck out of "soft rock" for two reasons...

First off, if Michael Bolton's ability to shout long notes is NOT relaxing in the slightest. Same way a fire truck going by your house at 3 am isn't relaxing.

Secondly, it's the kinda music they play at dentist offices. It makes me hear dental drills in my head, and feel that evil thing they use to scrape your teeth (read, violently poke your soft gums accidentally).

And heck, I'll throw in a third.... it's just a terrible genre of music.

But you know what music keeps me relaxed?

Silly music. Weird Al, Monty Python songs, Muppets... we all have different tastes. Though, not too different on this board, since I'm sure we all love that last one.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
Nothing better than a rant mix to yell along with if you're PO'd. Helps every time. I have a cd I call my "sunshine happy mix", and it's all Tool, older NIN, classic Metallica, etc. No, not really death rock, but loud and dark enough for me...

--------------