Questions about anything

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been watching quite a bit of Animaniacs lately, and does anybody know why the newsreel segment that explains the characters' backstory was reused so much? I don't think any other segments were repeated in multiple episodes (I did see two episodes with a parody of the "CBS Special Presentation" opening, but I feel that's different). It is a good segment, but the opening also does a good enough job of putting in exposition. As I;ve watched many of these, I've noticed that the newsreel sometimes has alterations, sometimes it's a little longer or shorter, some lines are occasionally different (in fact some of these things I was expecting to see/hear, was confused to not see them, and then saw different edits that had these).

Does anybody know why the part of the opening theme with Bill Clinton playing the sax was replaced after the first season? I didn't remember this part being replaced, but I watched it again and it is.

Also, does anybody know if, when the show moved to The WB and Pinky and the Brain got their own spin-off, the Pinky and the Brain episodes were rerun on The WB? I feel like when the show switched channels that those segments were never shown, can't remember if episodes were edited to replace the Pinky and the Brain segments (if those episodes were aired on The WB at all). With them getting their own series, it makes sense to stop having them appear regularly on the show, and makes sense to replace their part of the opening (though they're still in the group shots at the end).

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've been watching quite a bit of Animaniacs lately, and does anybody know why the newsreel segment that explains the characters' backstory was reused so much? I don't think any other segments were repeated in multiple episodes (I did see two episodes with a parody of the "CBS Special Presentation" opening, but I feel that's different). It is a good segment, but the opening also does a good enough job of putting in exposition. As I;ve watched many of these, I've noticed that the newsreel sometimes has alterations, sometimes it's a little longer or shorter, some lines are occasionally different (in fact some of these things I was expecting to see/hear, was confused to not see them, and then saw different edits that had these).
I'm guessing some of the episodes ran a little short, so it was used to fill time.

Does anybody know why the part of the opening theme with Bill Clinton playing the sax was replaced after the first season? I didn't remember this part being replaced, but I watched it again and it is.
Maybe it was during the '96 election when it was unknown whether he would get a second term and avoid "dating" the episode?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since when did Meredith Viera have her own talk show? And am I imagining things, or did she steal Bonnie Hunt's old set?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Her show started in 2014 and actually just ended last month. If you ask me, I think Meredith Viera is a lot more boring than Bonnie Hunt.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bonnie Hunt had the advantage of being a comic actor, but just because somebody has that ability doesn't necessarily mean they would automatically a good talk show host - I've often said Tom Bergeron should have his own talk show (Drtooth can attest to him hosting local shows in Boston before he became a national celebrity), but others argue he lacks the personality of a talk show host.

I will say that I don't even remember much of Bonnie Hunt's show it's been so long, I just remember those few times when the SST Muppets were on to promote something, like the time Abby and Elmo were promoting the "Being Green" DVD, with Abby turning Elmo green on the show, then remarking, "I can't look at him! He's hedious!" Prompting a W-T-F look on Elmo's face. Priceless.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I just remember those few times when the SST Muppets were on to promote something, like the time Abby and Elmo were promoting the "Being Green" DVD, with Abby turning Elmo green on the show, then remarking, "I can't look at him! He's hedious!" Prompting a W-T-F look on Elmo's face. Priceless.
Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing I remember about the show.
That and I kind of remember her interviewing her mother once.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Her show started in 2014 and actually just ended last month. If you ask me, I think Meredith Viera is a lot more boring than Bonnie Hunt.
Here's my question.

Is it just me, or are talk shows that aren't Ellen all just... incredibly disposable and forgotten within 2 years? Sure, Wendy Williams has been going on a few years, Rachel Ray is still a thing for some reason. But I've seen just long lines of contractual 2 year shows disappear as soon as the halfway point of season 2. And it sucks because some of them were actually good. Even back in the 90's or early 00's when Martin Short had a show. Even drug out Ed Grimley on occasion. Then Wayne Brady got one that disappeared, Tony Danza had an especially embarrassing to watch one that I'm not surprised left the airwaves (Extravadanza...shudder). Bonnie Hunt was pretty depressing to see go because it was actually in the good percentile. Katie Couric and Meredith Viera had very dull talk shows because they were obviously trying to do something Oprah-ish, but came off uninspired and bland.

The only talk shows that seem to get any traction now are "The View" ripoffs (hilariously coming out when The View is falling hard from grace and can't keep a freaking host to save their lives other than Whoopi), and of course the sleazy talk shows that have been around since the 90's (technically since the 80's, but they didn't reach full on terrible until Jerry Springer). And that's another question slash rant I have about this. How in bloody blue blazes is that still a freaking thing?!? How much white trash can they produce, and how much more of it can watch?! How can Maury Povich still freaking have a career of shoveling in both black and white negative stereotypes to do paternity tests on human garbage? What? Is that some sort of stealth Republican conspiracy to say "These are the scumbags mooching off of welfare?" And Jerry Springer... GAW! Even the freaking Sailor Moon AMV of the Weird Al Yankovic song is freaking old enough to have gone to college and be in its third year at McDonalds barely scraping by its student loan. Yeah, I know that no one watches Daytime television anymore and cheap to produce crap is cheaper than old sitcom royaltees somehow. But for the love of PETE! The horse isn't just dead, it's bones have been decomposing! They're figuratively beating dust that used to be a dead horse. Put this stuff to bed already.

Seriously. What the heck is the appeal of the "Steve Wilkos" show other than white trash laughing at slightly trashier white trash? Isn't that like what more than half of Youtube is for?

I've often said Tom Bergeron should have his own talk show (Drtooth can attest to him hosting local shows in Boston before he became a national celebrity), but others argue he lacks the personality of a talk show host.
To be really honest, I barely remember it as anything but a less controversial, local, and frankly unremarkable Donahue clone. I have a feeling he could definitely pull an Ellen style series, but it would fall by the wayside like all the others mentioned.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only talk shows that seem to get any traction now are "The View" ripoffs (hilariously coming out when The View is falling hard from grace and can't keep a freaking host to save their lives other than Whoopi)
I really don't understand that at all: nobody likes THE VIEW (or, I guess I should say, intelligent, self-respecting people don't like THE VIEW), so why do they keep cloning it? You said it yourself, THE CHEW is essentially THE VIEW for foodies, that's one clone. THE TALK is the most blatant rip-off of them all, only instead of staunch conservative women with annoying personalities, THE TALK consists of progressive liberal women with annoying voices. Now, Loni Love (whom I'm actually a fan of) is part of another rip-off that's essentially THE VIEW for women of color.

But as far as some of the other shows you mentioned? I honestly had no idea Rachael Ray even still had her show, I thought she had kind of fizzled out, I hardly ever see her anymore, and that's saying something because for the longest time, she was everywhere. What about Queen Latifah? Does she still have her show? I haven't seen it in a while. And Wendy Williams? Ugh, don't get me started, her show is so annoying! That audience drives me ballistic with all the "WHOOP-WHOOP! WHOOP-WHOOP! WHOOP-WHOOP!" Almost everything she does or says is met with an overly exaggerated reaction from her audience.

As far as two-season shows go, Anderson Cooper's show ended up like this: the first season was actually pretty good, it wasn't like other daytime shows (in a good way, mind you), and had its own unique feel and flavor to it that made it stand out among the others . . . then they overhauled that for the second season, and soon his show looked and felt no different than any other bland daytime talkshow.

Still, I really feel like Tom Bergeron should host a talkshow. If he wasn't contractually obligated to ABC for DWTS and what have you, he should have taken over for Letterman. Not that I don't like Colbert, but as I said, I could do without THE LATE SHOW having increasingly more political humor.