Rare animated films (not shown on Noggin)

Zet

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Do any of you remember:

"Lost Boy Remembers Way Home": He rides his bike past all this psychadelic stuff, and he realizes that he's lost, and he asks a man with a yo-yo how to get back home.
oh yeah...one of my all-time fave animated Sesame films...wonder where the animator is now? I also want to find out about the guy who sings the song (you mentioned in another post).

ssetta said:
"Simon Says-Body Parts-Animals Mixed Up": Simple simon meets animals going to a fair. The duck can't fly because he doesn't have wings. The sheep walks funny because he has the wrong legs, and the snake has both the feet and the wings, and thinks it's great. Then, they realize what's wrong and get everything straightened out. This had madrigal-type music, like the Madrigal Alphabet.
Yeah that's a great one too...strange.
Not to nitpick or anything, but it's not madrigal music. I've seen people refer to that alphabet one as "madrigal alphabet" but neither it nor the Simon one are unaccompanied vocal pieces, as they both obviously have music. In fact a madrigal is for more than one voice, and the alphabet one only has one voice (and Simon one doesn't have any singing).
I call the alphabet one "Medievel Alphabet" because that's roughly the time period the music reminds me of (Simon too). And King Minus.

ssetta said:
"New Ball In Town": 4 red and blue balls. 3 of them were striped, and 1 was polka-dotted. The polka-dotted ball was the new ball in town, and wanted to play with the others. It was trying to get the attention, and the other balls stopped and looked at him, and asked him to play. It had moog-synthesizer music with a "wow wow" sound to it.
Yep, I call it "synth pop balls" because of the great music. I've wondered when that one was made because it's hard to tell from the video, and the music features old analog synths but sound quality is pretty good. I'm guessing about 1982?
I taped the above 3 from Sesame Street in the mid-late 90's and have made sound files of "synth pop" and yo-yo.

Didn't recall the others you mentioned.
-Z

"Young MacDonald Went to Town", to the tune of "Old MacDonald", of course. I may be the only one who remembers this one.

"Alphabet Song with Woman On Horse": An animation with 3 different variations of the alphabet song. A country variation, an urban variation, and a Mexican-style variation. Another one that probably only I remember.

"Keys-Matches Gate Lock": A girl walks up to a locked gate, peeks through the keyhole and sees a playground. She tries opening the gate, but realizes that it's locked. She notices a ring with 3 keys. A round-shaped key, a heart-shaped key, and a diamond-shaped key. She tries the round-shaped key. It doesn't work. Then she tries the heart-shaped key. That doesn't work. Then she notices the diamond shape on the gate lock, and she tries the diamond-shaped key, which matches the lock of the gate. The gate opens. She then marches in and claims her prize.

I remember sevaral other rare non-Noggin animations, but that's all I'll post for now. Does anyone remember these?[/QUOTE]

ssetta

Reaction score
"Lost Boy Remembers Way Home" was from Season 3 (1971-72). The song was called "Remembering Song", and it was written by John Magneusson. He never wrote for the show again, I'm sure.

"New Ball In Town" was from Season 6 (1974-75), and it was written by Steven Samler. This actually is on one of the 2000 episodes that Noggin is currently airing. Does that count?

Since it's not madrigal, why is it called the "Madrigal Alphabet"?

Zet

Reaction score
ssetta said:
"New Ball In Town" was from Season 6 (1974-75), and it was written by Steven Samler. This actually is on one of the 2000 episodes that Noggin is currently airing. Does that count?
don't know what you mean by "does that count?"

ssetta said:
Since it's not madrigal, why is it called the "Madrigal Alphabet"?
I'm not sure why the artist (I assume) called it that.

O.K. I searched for the word
http://www.onelook.com/?w=madrigal&ls=a

I saw some elements of definitions that could apply i.e. tender thought, simple poem, delicate
-Z

ssetta

Reaction score
The reason why I said "does that count" was because this is mainly for animations that were never on Noggin.

Zet

Reaction score
ssetta said:
The reason why I said "does that count" was because this is mainly for animations that were never on Noggin.
OK gotcha...actually I should have had a question mark at the end of the subject, since I don't have all the unpaved eps., so I don't know if ones I mentioned were shown...I just didn't recall seing them mentioned.

I'm curious about your source for the John Magneusson info.
Does your source have any further info about him? Like I said I'm a big fan of the Yo-yo guy film & I can't find a mention of a John Magneusson on the web. I'm curious if he (or animator) ever did anything else (non-Sesame street).
Also wondered if your source had any further info on Jazzy Spies music (musicians, etc...).

ssetta

Reaction score
I found out about John Magneusson from the Sesame Street music department. But I don't know anything else he did. All I know about the Jazz Number series is that Grace Slick sang it. A lot of the music for animations were written by someone who never wrote for the show again, but a lot of them did commercials as well.

"New Ball In Town" was written by someone named Steven Samler. He has written music for Michelob commercials. Remember "Michelob: Some days are better than others?"

There was another one called "Imagination Alphabet (lower-case)" with this dreamy-voiceover and jazzy colors. You're probably familiar with that company called "Imagination, Inc." There were 2 pieces of music used in this segment. "Leap Frog" and "Splicidity" (or however it's spelled), and they were both written by Keith Prowse. The publishing company is called KPM Publishing. They are a company that produces library music for commercials. The Sesame Street band did not participate on this piece.

Drtooth

Reaction score
gbrobeck said:
Hey Arnold creator Craig Bartlett did three claymation sketches with his character "Arnold": "Arnold Escapes From Church," "The Arnold Waltz," and "Arnold Rides His Chair".
I actually could see the first two... The school Library has them on video somewhere... Tell you about them When I see them...

ssetta

Reaction score
I have some more!

"10 Pins song Minus 2 Leaves 8": A girl rolls a bowling ball down a lane with 10 bowling pins at the end. When she rolls it, it only knocks down 2 pins. It looks very psychadelic, but it's actually from the 80s, and it was not used very much at all.

"3 + 1": A boy with an enormous had does this math problem in his head, and really has to think about it. Then he imagines blocks, and figures out the problem, and then he writes it on the board. I believe there was also a similar one for "2 + 1".

"20 Pickle Pie": Only shown a few times in the early 80s.

Peacock with 5 rainbow-colored feathers subtracts them as they get blown off by the wind.

"There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a 9": Parody of the old woman in the shoe.

"8 Little Spiders": A poem where things keep happening to them, and they keep subtracting one every time.

All these rare animations can be found on the CD-Rom "Sesame Street: Numbers". In an earlier thread, I listed everything that's on it.

mikealan

Reaction score
Here's some Muppet/animated skits that were never on Noggin:

Jim Henson's The Baker#1-it had Little Bird and other things of one-one bellybutton, one cow, etc. and ends with the baker falling down the stairs with one huge wedding cake.

What Rhymes With Buy and Is Delicious-Where Cookie Monster wants to find something that rhymes with "buy". When Guy Smiley enters to buy a pie, Cookie thinks that Guy rhymes with buy, so Cookie eats him!

Vintage Cookie Monster skit where he helps to settle an argument between a round-headed blue Muppet boy and a tall, orange Muppet girl, who are fighting over a plate with one cookie by declaring that the smallest person could get the cookie, but the two Muppet children fight over who's smaller, so Cookie Monster shrunk himself to pint-size so he could get the cookie, yelling in a high-pitched voice: "I'd do anything for cookie!!!"

Ernie Buys the letter "U" in rope from the very early Lefty the Salesman in Caroll Spinney's voice ("See this U? We've had this U in my family for years...")

Jim Henson's classic claymation about the number twelve where twelve stones in the desert count up to twelve

Twelveia-an animated skit about the spoilfoiled twelve-year-old princess

Ernie borrows a vacuum cleaner from Herbert Birdsfoot!

Harvey Kneeslapper's "D Knock Knock Joke"

Some Of Us Are Here, by Mahna Mahna

That's all I think of.

ssetta

Reaction score
Okay, but I think this was supposed to be a thread about animation. Does anyone remember the skits I posted about?