Rare animated films (not shown on Noggin)

Zet

Reaction score
ssetta said:
I found out about John Magneusson from the Sesame Street music department. But I don't know anything else he did. All I know about the Jazz Number series is that Grace Slick sang it. A lot of the music for animations were written by someone who never wrote for the show again, but a lot of them did commercials as well.
OK thanks...you said Darby Slick was involved...as writer (do you know if he played also)?

Zet

Reaction score
ssetta said:
I have some more!
Peacock with 5 rainbow-colored feathers subtracts them as they get blown off by the wind.
Sorry I don't remember any of them.

There is one (at the end of one of the tapes in the first Sesame video series) with music & a peacock that "steps out of" it's tail feathers...the narrator counts to twenty on the feathers then the peacock strolls off the screen. Didn't remember it from childhood so don't know when it was made but it's not computer animation.

Zet

Reaction score
mikealan said:
Here's some Muppet/animated skits that were never on Noggin:

Jim Henson's classic claymation about the number twelve where twelve stones in the desert count up to twelve
that's definitely a classic in my book...I was very happy when I finally saw it again.

mikealan said:
Twelveia-an animated skit about the spoilfoiled twelve-year-old princess
that one I don't remember but have seen mentioned a lot...would like to see again if it's from the 70's.

-Z

Zet

Reaction score
ecological

In addition to Willie Wimple series, here are two old ecological cartoons I know of (may or may not have been on Noggin).

"Fisherman"

Man is fishing...plants get in way of his line. He pulls out the plants, then sits down to fish again. Falls asleep. Hears a voice.

Man: huh?

"Psst...over here...the clam".

Clam: The reason that you're not catching fish anymore is because you pulled out all the plants...let me explain.
Everybody knows that big fish eat little fish...and little fish eat the plants. So if you pull out all the plants, there won't be any more fish to catch...got it?

Man: That means, if I put back the plants, the fish will come back.

Clam: Right!

The man puts back the plants, casts line, and in one second catches a fish & kisses it.

Another:
"the Man Who Hated Frogs"

Narrator: Once there was a man who hated frogs.

Man: I hate frogs! This is my stream, with NO frogs!

N: But what the man didn't know, is there _was_ a frog.

Man: Huh? I hate frogs, so go away!

N: and so the poor frog left. Then a fly appeared. At first he was afraid there would be a frog waiting to eat him, but there wasn't. So he told all his friends, and they told all their friends, and soon there were flies buzzing everywhere.

(shows man swarmed by flies)
M: hey, where'd all these flies come from?

(shows (disobedient) frog eating flies)
M: I see - frogs eat flies. Little frog, I'm sorry...please come live in my stream again.

N: ...and so the man learned to like frogs.

M: I did not!
But...they're better than flies"

Frog: croak!

anyone remember others?

ssetta

Reaction score
The "Fisherman" skit was on Noggin, but the frog one, I've never heard of.

Saginaw

Reaction score
Posted by Zet - Yesterday at 12:53 PM
In addition to Willie Wimple series, here are two old ecological cartoons I know of (may or may not have been on Noggin).

"Fisherman"

Man is fishing...plants get in way of his line. He pulls out the plants, then sits down to fish again. Falls asleep. Hears a voice.

Man: huh?

"Psst...over here...the clam".

Clam: The reason that you're not catching fish anymore is because you pulled out all the plants...let me explain.
Everybody knows that big fish eat little fish...and little fish eat the plants. So if you pull out all the plants, there won't be any more fish to catch...got it?

Man: That means, if I put back the plants, the fish will come back.

Clam: Right!

The man puts back the plants, casts line, and in one second catches a fish & kisses it.

I was just thinking about that one!! You people scare me! :embarrassed:

That was just one of many of my favorite animated shorts. I remember the clam had a low, raspy voice, and he talked like a hepcat or something. For example, when he said "Right" he says it like "Riiiiiiiiiight". Also, when he explains to the fisherman about the fish-to-plant relationship, it shows us an animated example, and the segway is marked by the sound of the clam 'snapping' his shell. Sooo cool.

Also, does anyone remember the animated short for the letter 'E', with a boy and an eagle in the land of steam? The accompanying music was neat and folksy, from what I remember, and the animation was wonderful eye candy.

Now here's a couple that I challenge everyone to try to remember. Ready?

It was around 1973-74, and there was an animated short about clouds and the shapes they made. The type of animation used looked like old Chinese paper shadow puppetry. The clouds just rolled by, and children's voices would point out what the clouds looked like. It seems like it was shown for only one or two seasons, then retired.

And lastly, there was the one for the number '12' involving stop-motion animation of numerous sandy clay balls in a desert scene. Twelve little balls, one by one, counted off to 12, then formed the number whereby a white '12' faded over them, then it all disappears. It reminded me of those old 'sand and sandal' Biblical epics that used to be shown back in the day.

Wow! You guys and gals are really jogging my memory today. I believe the cobwebs :attitude: are finally loosening! Thanks!

--Saginaw

Splurge

Reaction score
Saginaw said:
And lastly, there was the one for the number '12' involving stop-motion animation of numerous sandy clay balls in a desert scene. Twelve little balls, one by one, counted off to 12, then formed the number whereby a white '12' faded over them, then it all disappears. It reminded me of those old 'sand and sandal' Biblical epics that used to be shown back in the day.
I believe that Jim Henson was the mastermind behind that.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Zet said:
M: I see - frogs eat flies. Little frog, I'm sorry...please come live in my stream again.
N: And when the flies saw that the frog had returned, they left.

:big_grin:

Zet

Reaction score
Saginaw said:
I was just thinking about that one!! You people scare me! :embarrassed:

yeah I've had the same happen to me more than once...it's wierd but it happens. :crazy:

Saginaw said:
That was just one of many of my favorite animated shorts. I remember the clam had a low, raspy voice, and he talked like a hepcat or something. For example, when he said "Right" he says it like "Riiiiiiiiiight". Also, when he explains to the fisherman about the fish-to-plant relationship, it shows us an animated example, and the segway is marked by the sound of the clam 'snapping' his shell. Sooo cool.
yeah hepcat :wink:
you hear the snap at the end but I didn't know if it's supposed to be the clam or the guy kissing the fish

Saginaw said:
Also, does anyone remember the animated short for the letter 'E', with a boy and an eagle in the land of steam? The accompanying music was neat and folksy, from what I remember, and the animation was wonderful eye candy.
another classic & another personal fave...it's on the first episode of Sesame Street and probably others shown on Noggin.

The 12 one you described was mentioned earlier in this thread...don't remember the clouds/shadow puppetry animation :stick_out_tongue:

Zet

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
N: And when the flies saw that the frog had returned, they left.

:big_grin:
...so the frog promptly starved
:frown:

...so the flies returned
:rolleyes: