1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Redesigned Muppets for "The Muppets" movie

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by frogboy4, May 26, 2011.

1. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

This is a designated space to discuss the latest Muppet puppet redesigns for "The Muppets" movie. What are your thoughts? Keep in mind that we're discussing the architecture of the puppet building only and this is not a criticism of Disney, the Muppets or the content of the film.

So far Gonzo's head shape and Piggy's snout seem to be getting a few critical comments while Thog and Janice appear to be in top form. What are your thoughts? :flirt::concern:
  2. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

Gonzo's new look is growing on my...but Piggy has always been a hard one since who look is constantly changing
  3. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I've always felt since MTI that these days the Muppets are often TOO well made, TOO perfect. There's none of the "live in" feel that you get from some of the old ones. I can see why that is, since now people have so much more access to them...and who wants to see felt wearing away or missing fur patches...But (as pointed out before) Crazy Harry for example should have some good old grit and dirt on him!
    Reevz1977 likes this.
  4. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I want to see some more footage of Gonzo. I didn't care for his new "Muppet Babies" look until I saw the cooking show, and then I positively hated it. To me he looked like he'd had a stroke. I hope they've fixed that.
  5. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

All of EM looks great! Especially Janice! I sort of agree with frogpuppeteer about Gonzo. His new look is almost growing on me.
  6. Fersureitsjess

Fersureitsjess Active Member

I like how for Janice and Scooter they are going for a more classic look. The Electric Mayhem looks awesome!
  7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I think the Gonzo puppet has definitely improved. I'm not saying I really like his new design (REALLY swelled up nose), but they have improved on it. Look at him, Pepe and Fozzie at D23; it looks like Dave really had an issue moving the lower jaw. The new puppet looks a bit easier to manipulate.
  8. matleo

matleo Active Member

I also like the return of Gonzo's sweater vest.

--Matt
  9. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

In the "Green With Envy" trailer, is it just me, or does Gonzo cock one eyebrow up? Has he always been able to move them independently, or is that a new feature?

I'm also interested to see if Rizzo ever tilts his head upward at the neck, because the first time I ever noticed that was in Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody.

Alex
  10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Gonzo was able to move one eyelid at a time previously before the redesign but it's still a relatively recent tweak (you can see the last Gonzo puppet before the redesign do it in the Muppets.com clips - check out the Never Had a Lesson's - and in Letters to Santa - check the Christmas rush line)

I remember during one live talk show interview around the time of Muppets From Space, around the end of the interview, Gonzo's eyelids got stuck with one permanently raised and i'm thinking the funny way he looked may have been what inspired them to be able to give him that ability (on purpose)

Speaking of Gonzo, i do feel that he's become a prime example of Beauregard referred to in talking about how his look had got to a point where it was too "clean" and "simplified" - again going back to MFS-era Gonzo. I think the redesign was an attempt to fix that but in the process they got the proportions of his features wrong which gives him the odd look he has now.

Animal is steadily improving. He had some really odd looking puppets there for awhile.
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've been saying that about :p and :( for years now... I kind of liked how Bert's "chin" sinks into his sweater in the Conversations with Bert virals, but other than that, I've not been thrilled with how they looked since the 90's. They really achieved perfection with those two puppets in the late 1980's.
  12. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

this sorta fits here and i already said it but i feel it must be said again

eric jacobsons fozzie has gotten spot on IMHO voice wise Kudos to him
  13. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

A seperate older Gonzo puppet was used for the eyebrow thing. He did it the most in Muppets Tonight, during Dancing with himself. But the new Gonzo design makes it much smoother and you don't have to watch jerky movements from the puppet to achieve it. Heck, Floyd was able to wink before, why not Gonzo?

And yes, Rizzo's new thing is copied from Pepe, the head tilting. He did it in the Muppets vs Lost, and Steve looked like he had a hard time controlling it.
  14. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

yes! I REALLY like how Rizzo can cock his head up like Pepe now, idk it gives him MUCH more realism IMO to the puppet!
    :busy:
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Gonzo has gone through so many changes, but I do like his look in the last film much better than this one. Here's a side-by-side comparison. After more inspection, many of these designs are little bit more watered-down than the stunningly beautiful puppet designs of the past. They still look good, but I stand by my statement that most of the new ones are B+ efforts at best. This is only from what I've seen. That could change after seeing the whole film on the big screen later this year. ;)
  16. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

My my my...little Camilla, how she's grown! (The actual Muppet chickens are starting to look like the huge things that Roger Langridge tended to draw!)

...and yeah i'm going to go slightly off-topic but i can't mention Camilla's look in the trailer without commenting on the puppeteering - is it Alice performing Camilla? She has this great knack of taking the characters that tend to be more props/accessories (like Foo-Foo) and making them hilarious to watch.
  17. Drtooth

I really need to rewatch the trailers closely... but other than Gonzo (which was improved since the last redesign) the only thing I don't dig is weird Overbite Fozzie.

On the plus side, the poster's seen the best poser Kermit in years.
  18. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I agree, some of them just don't look the greatest. Gonzo, Sam and Animal are the most notable. And Fozzie's overbite kind of suggests he's lacking intelligence, and I think squaring up his face may give him more assertiveness as Kermit's #2 (i.e. lining the mouth up). I know he looked the same in MTM but I think it was the fact that Oz performed him that most people overlooked it. Also, Floyd's eyes seem somewhat smaller, and his bottom lip is kinda big, like he's gotten really old lol. And, I think Zoot's lips frown a bit too much. Crazy Harry's eyes could use a bit of separation.

I will say though, I like Rowlf, Janice, Scooter and Lew Zealand. Scooter's new look reminds me of the same face who would knock on the door and say "20 seconds to curtain."
  19. Drtooth

They've been flip flopping on exactly how to build Fozzie in the last few productions

He had the over bite in VMX, then he lost it after that project, only to get the overbite again now. I prefer how he looked (as far as modern era productions go) in MTI... but I have a feeling next rebuild his overbite and rounder head will be gone... until the production after that. :batty:
  20. dmoss

dmoss Member

I'm thinking that Fozzie looks like the new Steiff plush that was released recently...they've done something to the new one, that I just can't put my finger on... :o