1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Redesigned Muppets for "The Muppets" movie

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by frogboy4, May 26, 2011.

1. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Again with the Eric Jacobson-bashing? :rolleyes:

I know you still miss Frank Oz, but it's for the best that we all just wish him well and respect the fact that he just doesn't want to be involved with the Muppets anymore. He wasn't fired or anything--he made the decision himself to move on.

Getting back on-topic, I kinda agree with Frogboy on Gonzo, but not completely. I loved the previous Gonzo, but the current one isn't too bad.

Overall, all the current puppet styles look pretty good. I know I might get lynched for this, but I sometimes think that we complain and nitpick too much about the puppets' styles and compare them too much to the past versions. I share the sentimentality about maintaining the essence of the characters, but instead, I think it would just be a lot better to just sit back, relax and enjoy the show. :)

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm a complete perfectionist, there have been better and worse designs of characters. It seems to me that the further puppet building technology and technique goes, the less it becomes perfected and the more it becomes over-perfected. Some characters begin to look better than they ever have, some lose certain slight imperfections that actually tended to look good and gave more personality. And it's not just Muppet Show characters, even Sesame Street characters have this problem in cased. Ernie and Bert especially... and for a time, Cookie Monster was so overly perfected, his look was all over the map. Sometimes he looked like a stuffed couch, sometimes he looked absolutely wonderful.

Redesigns should never EVER get in the way of expressiveness, and I think there's something odd with roundface/overbite Fozzie verses more pineapple shaped head Fozzie. Piggy just hasn't looked right since MTI, but I thank FROG that Janice lost her mid80's Pony tail she had up until... I dunno... I guess MupOz? I know definitely before Studio DC...

3. Muppetfan44

Muppetfan44 Active Member

I've closely watched the two trailers and for the most part, I think the puppets look great! It almost seems to me like many of them have been restored to their original amazing quality they had on the Muppet Show, looking both new and classic at the same time, which is really neat.

The only two things that I don't like are Gonzo's face and Sam the Eagle's eyebrow. I looked at the side-by-side comparison picture that frogboy4 put up and there is something about the new Gonzo's eyes and mouth shape that I really don't like. His eyes make him look like he went though a seizure and his new mouth shape tends to make him look sad all the time. Sam's eyebrows are way too big and make him look a lot sterner and rigid than he needs to be.

I also noticed a change with one of the Piggy puppets. With the green with envy trailer, the short-haired Piggy we see looks like her eyes and possibly head shape are different than the long-haired Piggy puppet we see in the Fuzzy Pack trailer. I'm not a fan of the short hair, but I do like how the eyes are more darkened underneath (like she is weaing eye-liner). I love the Piggy puppet with the long hair; her face shape looks fantastic, but I don't know why they have her wearing her traditional pearls plus another necklace. That seems very un-Piggy like and a definite fashion faux pas, lol.

Overall though the puppets look great and I can't wait until we see some longer shots of them to better compare

4. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with any of the Muppets. I'm jsut glad to see a new movie coming out. I just hope to maybe see a cameo by a Sesame Street muppet. How cool would that be? To see Big Bird or Oscar or even maybe Grover? Elmo i wouldn't mind see too but oh well.

5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

6. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Something that I've seen raised on other forums (*cough* TP *cough*) is that the Lighting is very important, and the gradient of the film. Some of the intense colors of the new film have a Glee/Pushing Daisies feel to them, rather than the mote muted original Muppet Movie.

7. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

I still think they should do Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Animal, Robin, and Lew Zealand should have 'Through the years' pages.

8. Beauregard

It's a wiki! Feel free to have a play around at putting those pages up, le Mango!

9. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

I maintain that while certain characters have looked better at different times, the best the majority of the characters looked is from Muppets Take Manhattan through Muppet Family Christmas.

Frogster likes this.
  10. TikiColadas

TikiColadas Active Member

I loved the designs and looks of the characters in The Great Muppet Caper especially Kermit, Piggy, Fozie and Gonzo. They seemed well defined and Miss Piggy was perfect! Kemit's design in Muppets Take Manhattan was superb!

11. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

For me, I love all the designs! But there are certain things I don't like about them. For me, I like the new Fozzie. The only thing I don't like about it is that his head bears (no pun intended) a slight spherical shape that reminds me of the 2002-2008 version that I didn't really like. I just feel like Fozzie shouldn't look that way... But I do love this new version, don't get me wrong. But that's the only thing I really don't like about it.

As for Gonzo, I didn't really like the head at first. But now I love it, it's grown on me! I mean I saw this version at a Muppet 101 event in Missouri and the puppet looks fantastic!

12. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my old pointy nose....meh. It'll still be fun. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

A lot of newscasters opted for surgical vanity when television went hi-def. ;)

newsmanfan likes this.
  14. Drtooth

I will say this... even the overly perfected new puppets look a million times better than the first ones.

15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

@Drtooth: What? You dont like the look of Season 1 Piggy? ;)

But I think because we're seeing 1080p footage of a brand new HD production + shiny new Muppet builds, some are going to look a bit odd. Thog and Fozzie look like they were just made; as I agree the worn in look is a bit better.

Fozzie looks a little odd in some spots of the new third teaser. But, I have to say Gonzo looks a lot better than pre production stills of the poser and the Cat Cora kitchen Gonzo they used(HATED that design) Animal had a lot of odd builds, such as the 2009 era one. I think they've gotten a lot of symmetry back from the different experimentation.
    What do you guys all think of the new Uncle Deadly? Is this the first time weve seen him since TMS? Also I thought Thog was even bigger, but I guess he was that size(dwarfing even Sweetums) on the show

16. Drtooth

I also noticed with the new trailer the alternate Piggy puppet with her MTM hair style. Now, while it isn't my favorite version of the character (Great Muppet Caper, fool!), the puppet somehow looks better than the straight haired version. maybe it's just the hair or something.

17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm really not digging any of the Piggys for the movie. There's just something that's more doughy and bland about her construction now when compared to the more refined and nuanced 80's & 90's versions of the puppet.

18. Beauregard

Ooh. I actually really like the Piggy's so far. Very GMC-esque. Perhaps a little too carefully preserved and not real enough, but still awesome. I like that she has a hint of her MTM hair without it being as overpowering as it was in that movie. But most of all, I love that they seem to be having VARIETY with her hair in this movie! Usually there's one look for the entire movie!

Link is looking nice and manly. I feel I want to comment on the really nice clothes they are all wearing (Link's trench-coat, Bunsen's coat collar that is viewable in one scene). Very good quality. Do the Puppet-makers (Heap) also design/produce the clothes? (Aside from Piggy's designer gear).

19. Drtooth

The curly hair makes her relatively better than the one with long hair. Somehow, the straight haired puppet manages to look worse because of those proportions. Piggy just hasn't looked good since the 80's... I dunno what's wrong with the puppet building there.

20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I have a personal disdain for 80's Manhattan-fro Piggy.