Regular Show Series Talkback!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Woah. Really powerful episode here I didn't expect. Rigby has made a breakthrough with his verbally and emotionally abusive father. In fact, they actually showed more of how it cuts Rigby. Even to the extent he even implies that he's ruining Eileen's life just by being romantically involved. Rigby standing up to his father is a perfect closure to some of his character arcs.
Rigs has been showing major maturity in recent episodes, and this one is no exception.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And aside from that, seeing how badly his father treats him and how highly he thinks of his brother, you can really see where Rigby's troublemaker behavior came from. I really think that giving him a relationship with Elieen really lit a fire in him that got him to grow up, even to the extent of beyond Mordecai after the affair with C.J. and Margaret. I really see a lot of growing up between this, Steven Universe and Adventure Time...heck, to some extent when Pizza Steve breaks down and shows humility in Uncle Grandpa.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Finally caught the broadcast of The Button. Maellard is totally a D-bag with this one. Benson is becoming less of a Jerkbutt Woobie and more of the biggest Woobie in the series. They all know that Benson's life is a mess and if it wasn't for this park job he's been steadily maintaining at the risk of his sanity, who knows what he'd do. His spiral into madness and paranoia was actually pretty jarring in this one.

Also, while I'd normally call something like this too narrow to be a reference, Maellard's line of not knowing what the button will do, punctuated by "Maybe something bad, maybe something good" seems to be the natural subtle reference to the Ren and Stimpy episode that ends with Stimpy trying not to push the "jolly candy like button." I suppose there would have to be somewhere to tie in a reference to that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Benson returns to being an antagonist here, though in the context of being the king in his Renaissance Faire. And Pops apparently lost a million brain cells since we last saw him because he really thought he traveled back in time, oblivious to the fact that the giant dome is still surrounding them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really like how this episode took the premise of the show of the mundane turning into the supernatural at the drop of a hat and twisted it so nothing actually happened, but Pops thought something was. And it could all have been solved if Benson didn't have his head up his gumball hatch and just let the other park employees tell him it was a faire.

I also liked the ingrate fairegoers that kept demanding Ye Olde Refunde every time someone let out a contemporary colloquialism.

mr3urious

Reaction score
We got another Pops-centric episode, and this time, it's about his desire to see a planet that appears every couple of decades, but that opportunity was always missed in the past thanks to his father's disapproval. This planet also seems to give Pops telekinetic powers fueled by rage, which may lead up to something big.

The episode following it was a great Benson-focused piece. It was really nice to see him on the dating scene again, and with someone who's on the same wavelength as him, too.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Bensen dating again? So that means Audrey's out of the picture. *Shrugs. So long as Bensen didn't go to that jerk cowboy who ran the Couples Corral, man, what an uber-jerk.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then there's this:

For those sorely missing the licensed music in an episode of Regular Show, this music video short makes a world of difference.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Taking a cue from Steven Universe, this episode started off with a standard Mordecai and Rigby want to sneak out and do something plot, but it ends with some major twists.

Benson finally asserts himself in front of Dr. Langer, a mutant in a secret bunker has been revealed, and Langer ends the episode with an ominous "they're ready."

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Dr. Langer is clearly channeling his Hugo Strange from Gotham's secret mutant factory from Season 2, though I feel/fear that whole subarc will PO lots of Bat-fans. What will happen when the park crew has to face off against Dr. Langer's mutants, the world might not be ready for the outcome.