Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I knew his health was declining but never realized it was this bad...I knew he was on oxygen and in a wheelchair but still wasn't expecting this news. :frown:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Such awful, awful news. We've truly lost one of the greats. Didn't really know what to say about this tonight although I managed to write something up quickly:

Rest in Peace Jerry Nelson (1934-2012)

If anyone else is writing posts on their own sites/blogs I would love to know about it and add the link(s) to my own.

My Disney site will have a JERRY post up around 1:30 PM/EST (link to my site is on my siggy)

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I knew for a while that he wasn't in great shape, but I'm still in shock after finding out on Tumblr.

Rest in Peace, Jerry. You will be sorely missed.

bandit

Reaction score
Well that's just terrible. What a tremendous loss. His contributions are far too many and far too influential to just name. The Muppet family wont be the same. We'll miss you, man. We already do.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Everyone, buy Jerry Nelson's album Truro Daydreams if you haven't already. Actual CD's seems to be out of stock, so try digital downloads.
(I just bought it from iTunes)

zns

Reaction score
Thank you Jerry for all you have given us. We will miss you dearly and will never forget you. God bless.

:sing::batty::smirk:

bandit

Reaction score
You know, in my mind, Jerry Nelson has always been a cornerstone in Henson productions. He's one of the main pillars and a foundation that has sustained these productions over the years.

It's impossible for me, of course, to think of Jim Henson's work without thinking of Jerry Nelson because he played the main role in my favorite production of all - Fraggle Rock.

I've heard it said that Jim specifically singled Jerry out to play the leader for various reasons. For one, he has a voice that records well. It's clear and crisp and distinct. Also, he himself was something of a veteran and leader at the time. It made sense to place the responsibility on experienced shoulders that happened to be attached to a level head.

As a kid I didn't know all of this but I did know that Gobo's voice was easy to pick out in other movies and shows and that I had a crush on him.....I WAS 4 or 5! Gimme a break!
When the song 'Let's Hear it for the Boy' came out, I secretly dedicated it to my 'boyfriend' the imaginary Gobo that ran around outside of my house. Why am I telling you all of this? I'm telling you because even at 4 or 5 when I obviously didn't realize there was no sense in loving a puppet, voices made an impression on me.

Jerry's voice made an impression on me. I don't know the man and I never will, however, as long as I remember watching Fraggles and Muppets.....which is to say as long as I remember watching much of anything at all.....I've heard him. His voice has been with me from the earliest memories and even now. I never stopped listening.

Jerry Nelson's talent is unparalleled. He brought something special to his work. All muppeteers do but Jerry was distinctive.

It's like I said before, things wont ever quite be the same and he will sorely be missed. I think the best we can do to honor his memory is to honor the way -we- knew him....By his work. Keep the videos coming. It's a sweet sentiment and the right one.

We wont forget you, Mr. Nelson. You're still the best. ^.^

zns

Reaction score
I compossed a poem a few years ago for Jerry and I would like to share it now with all of you once again.

Mr. Nelson Is...

Mr. Nelson is
A clueless detective,
Flexing his fuzzy and blue muscles,
As he "counts" the number of times he says those magic words,
"A La Peanut Butter Sandwiches" Ah Ah Ah :batty:

Mr. Nelson is
A fish throwing bass player,
Crooning his famous love song.
His amphibius uncle runs the theater,
But he still manages to stay strong and tall,
No matter what it takes. :sing:

Mr. Nelson is
A brave and daring explorer of the caves,
With a great big "Trash Heap" of wisdom.
He's not only the king of the Universe,
But he's also the Pa of a "Dumb Son of a Gun":smirk:

Mr. Nelson is
A man of heart and soul.
He lives each day to the fullest extent,
With as much courage as possible.
He's the man we all want to be.

God Bless you Jerry. We all love you

Zachary Snyder