Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Vincent L

Reaction score
I am so sad. He was one of my favorite Muppeteers. I just wrote a letter to him last week. I should've done that years ago. I can't believe this. :frown:
At least you sent him one. I feel like doing that, but I never knew what to write, nor where to send it.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Speaking of Jerry, Kinect Sesame Street TV and "Five By" with Train, Elmo, and The Count hasn't been released yet so we'll get to see a few more of Jerry's final performances later on in the future. :batty:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is so sad. He's the first major performer to have died after I knew that the Muppets were puppets (I'm not counting Eren Ozker, who was only a major performer for one year, or Jerry Juhl, who hadn't been a performer since the 1960s).

I expect the next Sesame Street season premiere to be dedicated to his memory. I wonder how many currently unaired segments and epsiodes were recorded with his voice. I also wonder if the new "Elmo the Musical" segment will feature him as an announcer.

I wonder if the upcoming Muppet Christmas Carol blu-ray will be dedicated to his memory which would sort of be fitting considering the movie was dedicated to Jim and Richard).

Jerry Nelson will be missed. At least we've gotten interviews with him on Muppet Central, Tough Pigs, The Muppet Mindset, and The MuppetCast.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Wow. This is just shocking. It's very sad. You see and hear about great people like Jerry, and you come to know them by their great characters as though they're part of your family. Somehow you never expect them to leave. But you know what? Jerry lived a good long happy life here. And I bet right now he's up there with Jim, Richard, Jerry, Don, and others continuing to make people happy. My condlences to all who knew Jerry, and to his fans. May he rest in peace.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm at a complete loss for words... this news hit me like a brick wrapped in concrete. I'm sure I'd have something poignant to say when the shock wears off. Drinking this in is going to be quite painful. It's absolutely devastating when someone that close to your childhood memories passes. I let out a huge expletive verbally when I got out of my Captain Oblivious moment and saw the "remembering" banner.

Vincent L

Reaction score
When my grandfather died, I didn't feel very sad when I first heard the news. I only cried until after about 3 days after he passed away. Might be the same thing here. Though my heart/feelings does feel rather numb, now.
I forgot how I felt when Steve Jobs died...

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
It can be really difficult to us when someone we love passes away. :cry:
I remember when my grandparents died in 2003 and 2004. It was so upsetting to me.

It was good that Jerry never gave up on doing the voice of The Count up until his death.
Muppet projects can be really difficult without Jerry Nelson. He was an outstanding Muppeteer.

(At least Carroll Spinney, Dave Goelz, and Steve Whitmire are still with us.)