Remembering Jim...

SwedishChefCook

Reaction score
I remember I was only 9 years old when Jim Henson passed away in 1990. I was very shocked and saddened over the whole deal. I thought The Muppets were gone as well, and Sesame Street would be pulled off the air. I remember feeling very lost and confused. Jim wasn't even all that old, and he wasn't sick or anything so it was such a big shock to me that he just suddently died. Unfortunatley The Muppets haven't been the same after he left us, because Jim had that unique style about him that can never and will never be replaced. But I am Thankful he was around for the first 35 years of The Muppets and got to do many things with them. I'm also fortunate that Jim got to get involved with bigger things like movies. The Witches was the last film that he made, that didn't come out in the theatres until after his death. But the good news is there will be a Fraggle Rock movie coming out in 2007, and for those of you who don't know already. It was actually an idea thought up of by Jerry Juhl and Jim Henson 16 years ago, right before he died. So technically this Fraggle Rock movie was supposed to take place years ago in the early 90's. But anyways I can't wait to see it knowing it was Jim's last idea before his passing. You will live on forever in our hearts Jim Henson. We all love you.

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
He was also one of my reasons I got interested in puppetry.Too bad I never got to meet him,I have a feeling he would've been a good person to have a conversation with.One of the good memories I have about him is,he never gave up.Anything wrong/or depressing that happened to him,he always thought it was going to be o.k.In other words,in some way things were going to work themselves out.And most of the time I believe that too.I'll always remember you,Jim.

superboober

Reaction score
Few celebrity deaths affected me the way Jim's did (really, only John Candy's came close). I didn't really want to be believe it when I'd been hearing it on the news. It was only when I saw the Acme checkout shelves with the People magazine with the depressed Kermit leaning against the empty director's chair that I came to realize that it was indeed real. He had more or less defined my first 8 years of life, and I had felt like I'd really got to know him in a sense during that time. He remains an idol of mine after all these years, and should I break into show business eventually it is my intent of following his example of trying to reach all ages as best I can.

unclematt

Reaction score
I may be late but I would really like to post here.

I would like to start by saying that I have read everybodies posts and my eyes were welling the entire time.

I was 10 when Jim passed. I had already discovered him and knew very well who he was. I remember seeing him at the end of A Muppet Family Christmas. I was very upset when he died. I cried, I remeber thinking that there was not a big enough deal made out of it. We have lost a lot of great people since Jim but I dont think any have affected me as much.

Just to finish

Thank you Mr. Henson, thank you for giving us Kermit, Big Bird and Uncle Traveling Matt. Thank you for sharing your concept of spreading peace. Thank you for having the courage to step otside of the box to get your message across. Thank you for finding a special place in my heart. Thank you Mr. Henson.

Tim

Reaction score
superboober said:
It was only when I saw the Acme checkout shelves with the People magazine with the depressed Kermit leaning against the empty director's chair that I came to realize that it was indeed real.
Not to nitpick, but it was actually LIFE Magazine that had that photo on the cover. PEOPLE had Jim holding Kermit with the caption "The last haunting days of Jim Henson". I remeber this because that week I was at a Hollywood newsstand buying up everything I could find that had coverage of his passing. Sitting next to these, was a copy of ANIMATION magazine, with Jim smiling on the cover on the backlot of Disney Studios shooting MuppetVision, the article inside him talking about the bright future with Disney.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I was in eighth grade, and it caught me completely off-guard. I've loved and admired Jim's work since birth. The world is truly a better place because of the laughter, kindness, warmth, wackiness, and heart in his work. I truly believe that what Jim Henson did for the world will reverberate for generations.

puppetise

Reaction score
imagin how hard it is for every one involved with henson

FraggleFan

Reaction score
he passed away on my 10th birthday.. i always think of him when my birthday comes around. kind of a bittersweetness about may 16th for me. he's always been and always will be one of my hero's.