Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

MWoO

Reaction score
Oh, let's face it: even if a gay person wanted a cake just for any other occasion, they probably would have refused service to him or her for the same reason: simply for being gay.

Like as shared a few pages back, that young Christian singer being chastised by much of her Christian following for being on Ellen DeGeneres's show simply because Ellen is gay.

I mean, if we could get a little playful, here's a couple of storybooth videos that kind of illustrate how this all works:

And @Censored, I know you'll appreciate this one:
We cant assume the bakery wouldnt make a birthday cake or a cake for any other event for the couple. We only know what happened in this instance.

There has to be a distinction between legality and morality. My morals tell me that i should provide service to anyone if i work in the service industry. But legally i want to right to determine what service i provide.

For example. I am trying to make money sculpting figures, but i want the right to choose what i will and won't sculpt. Someone may commission me to make something i dont want to make and i want the right to refuse. Its the same thing.

Freedom means the ability to do what you want as long as you do not infringe on the freedom of another. In the case of the cake, the couple has the freedom to choose another bakery. Protestors have the freedom to boycott the original bakery. The bakery will either go out of business or change its policies.

The problem with defending the bakery's rights in this case is that pro-LGBT people think you are against them and anti-LGBT people think you are with them qhen the reality is its a separate issue.

Morally we should just all be cool to each other, but legally we should have the freedom not to be cool.

Censored

Reaction score
The problem with defending the bakery's rights in this case is that pro-LGBT people think you are against them and anti-LGBT people think you are with them qhen the reality is its a separate issue.

Morally we should just all be cool to each other, but legally we should have the freedom not to be cool.
Another plug for segregation. If you folks had your way, Civil Rights would have never happened.

Censored

Reaction score
I know he’s got me blocked, but others should realize how bigoted his views are, even if he can’t.

MWoO

Reaction score
Another plug for segregation. If you folks had your way, Civil Rights would have never happened.
I get that you are mentally unbalanced, but where do you see anything in what i said that promotes segregation or white supremacy?

Refusing to serve someone because they are gay is legally wrong, as it should be. However, a bakery has the right to decide what events they make cakes for. How do you twist that into promoting segregation you sad crazy little man?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know he’s got me blocked, but others should realize how bigoted his views are, even if he can’t.
From what I'm witnessing, you're the one putting words into his mouth (or, in this case, words into his posts) that he never said to begin with.

Which, again . . . he something that's all too common among the alt-right, which makes it harder to believe you're a leftist.

Censored

Reaction score
I get that you are mentally unbalanced, but where do you see anything in what i said that promotes segregation or white supremacy?

Refusing to serve someone because they are gay is legally wrong, as it should be. However, a bakery has the right to decide what events they make cakes for. How do you twist that into promoting segregation you sad crazy little man?
Because according to you, private businesses have a right to discriminate even if it’s morally wrong. The situation is different for race than sexual orientation?

Censored

Reaction score
From what I'm witnessing, you're the one putting words into his mouth (or, in this case, words into his posts) that he never said to begin with.

Which, again . . . he something that's all too common among the alt-right, which makes it harder to believe you're a leftist.
Your views change with the wind.

Censored

Reaction score

So how would it play out if a baker refused to do an interracial wedding?

Censored

Reaction score
All of these same arguments were used to defend refusal to serve African Americans years ago. Same story. Different targets.

MWoO

Reaction score
Because according to you, private businesses have a right to discriminate even if it’s morally wrong. The situation is different for race than sexual orientation?
Morality and legality are different things. Morals are subjective. A religious legislator may deem it morally wrong for two men to marry, but that doesnt mean he should legislate against it. See? It works both ways.

A business should not be allowed to discriminate against a group, but they should be allowed to determine what services they provide.

Problem with you is you think everything you say is right. So you think your morality is subjectively correct and anyone who disagrees is an evil bigot. You are an extremist.