Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
You are one of the coolest I've met, for what it's worth mentioning.
That's because I don't label myself as a Republican, but a conservative. There are quite a few things Republicans do I don't like, and there are also a lot of things Democrats do that I do not like as well. I don't like everything Trump says and does, but at the same time I choose to respect the office he holds even if he himself doesn't. I do not like though that some folks will go and no matter what he says or does even it its a good thing find something negative to say.
I disagreed with a lot of what President Obama did, but believe it or not there was a time I considered voting for him.
I think that because I am a Christian there are issues in both parties I agree with and disagree with simply because of my fath if that makes sense.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think that because I am a Christian there are issues in both parties I agree with and disagree with simply because of my fath if that makes sense.
According to Joy Behar, you suffer from mental illness, heh. I won't lie, I'd be delighted to see her fired as well, she has always been a bigoted fool. I think the cringiest was her assuming the phrase "Black Friday" was racist. Thankfully the other hosts kindly explained what a complete dingbat she was. Yet her job is secure. And any attempt to expose her gets shouted down because liberals can never be wrong. There is absolutely a double standard, depending on your political persuasion. You only have to look at Joy Reid's continued presence on MSNBC to prove that.

I stand by what I've been saying, I will not be voting Democrat. They terrify me just as much as Trump. And I will not be paying any more fines. :wink: I am absolutely done with both parties, they are vile and complete and utter garbage.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It was the last day of Tough Pigs' Muppetational May Challenge. I can't believe I made it through with such a busy schedule. Whew. Today's was favorite quote. Of course I chose this one. Sometimes with politics and such, it helps to go back to something so simple.

jvcarroll

Reaction score

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think about this. Generalizations can be dangerous, but a lot of this is accurate about the feelings of each region and I've never seen it outlined better. I guess one can see the feelings of regional politics through a certain prism while treating its citizens as individuals. Thoughts?

I disagree with this on a personal level. I've said this before but when you start labeling people you forget people are individuals with individual thoughts and feelings.
Take racism for an example. When some people think or talk about racism the automatically assume your talking about people in the south. Simply because they where the states who had and fought for slavery, and who had the most trouble during the Civil rights movement of the 60's. However racism is all over the country and it's not just white people hating black people. We are a country full of different races social standings and religions, wich no matter how hard we try is going to cause some friction somewhere. So that's why I think labels like this just add to the fire.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I disagree with this on a personal level. I've said this before but when you start labeling people you forget people are individuals with individual thoughts and feelings.
Take racism for an example. When some people think or talk about racism the automatically assume your talking about people in the south. Simply because they where the states who had and fought for slavery, and who had the most trouble during the Civil rights movement of the 60's. However racism is all over the country and it's not just white people hating black people. We are a country full of different races social standings and religions, wich no matter how hard we try is going to cause some friction somewhere. So that's why I think labels like this just add to the fire.
It's clearly labeling areas, but that does, by association, label the people. I do like how it carves out different elements of the south to better understand different views that southerners might have, but a lot of this map is becoming more and more obsolete in the information age. We're no longer limited by our location. Knowledge and information crosses state lines via the internet. There are conservatives in Oregon and liberals in Texas. One example that I find the most telling is that Houston, Texas twice elected a Mayor who happened to be a lesbian. Her daughter, however, had a difficult time getting a driver's license because the county leaves the approval of documentation up to the clerk and not a legal standard. That's Texas for you (mind you, I was raised there so I can say that). It took her three tries for a clerk to finally rubber stamp her application due to her birth certificate not listing a father. The fact that her certificate was a legal document should have been enough, but it wasn't for two out of three clerks. They clearly wanted to assert their disapproval of LGBTQ families and make a stand by denying her something every 16 year old has a right to once they pass a driving test. And that clearly outlines the different biases in my hometown. Citizens would elect an LGBTQ official, but some would also give their fellow LGBTQ citizens a hard time due to prejudice. One cannot easily define Houston, Texas as much of anything. At the same time, they are quite a red city when it comes to Presidential elections.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think an uber-conservative lady friend of mine who lives in Minnesota would probably disagree entirely with what this article has to say about "Yankeedom," or at the very least, her portion of that "culture." To hear her tell it, Minnesota is essentially "a dumb liberal state full of selfish jerks."

Meanwhile . . . I can kind of see how my state of Tennessee sort of fits into what this article says about "Greater Appalachia," though Dwayne may disagree somewhat. Having grown up in suburban, urban, and rural areas of East Tennessee all my life, I've seen for myself this sense of "warrior ethic" and "commitment to personal sovereignty and individual liberty," mostly from the more populated areas within the city limits and what have you. As for being suspicious of outsiders, aristocrats, and "Yankees," I kind of see that coming more from people in the more rural areas.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think an uber-conservative lady friend of mine who lives in Minnesota would probably disagree entirely with what this article has to say about "Yankeedom," or at the very least, her portion of that "culture." To hear her tell it, Minnesota is essentially "a dumb liberal state full of selfish jerks."

Meanwhile . . . I can kind of see how my state of Tennessee sort of fits into what this article says about "Greater Appalachia," though Dwayne may disagree somewhat. Having grown up in suburban, urban, and rural areas of East Tennessee all my life, I've seen for myself this sense of "warrior ethic" and "commitment to personal sovereignty and individual liberty," mostly from the more populated areas within the city limits and what have you. As for being suspicious of outsiders, aristocrats, and "Yankees," I kind of see that coming more from people in the more rural areas.
I mean, there is truth in it, but that's the central conflict. Painting with such a wide brush is why progressives lost the last election. That and Russia.