Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if it was possible to make this all go away with the push of a button, or the flip of a switch, I would love that.
Why not just turn your Internet off for like a day, and spend that time writing down your thoughts. Or pray, read a book. It's not like this is being forced on you is it?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's all around us. Turning off the internet or the TV isn't going to magically make it all go away. And I do all the things you suggested quite frequently anyway - doesn't really make a difference.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's all around us. Turning off the internet or the TV isn't going to magically make it all go away. And I do all the things you suggested quite frequently anyway - doesn't really make a difference.
You never know, it could be making a difference. It's good for emotional health to get away from the junk food media once and awhile.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Ok so let's try this. Since I'm not exactly sure where liberals stand on a lot of issues let's start with one and see if we agree.

First topic: immigration.
Most of us believe that we're all immigrants and/or descended from immigrants, that immigrants built this nation and continue to do so. We also believe that we are a sovereign nation and need to firm up our borders, but a physical wall is not a viable solution. Fortifying portions of our border fence is perfectly fine. In fact, we should maintain it. But it's not practical or cost effective to build a wall and Mexico will never pay for it. We need to use modern technology and real manpower to protect our borders. I'm not saying military - just trained agents. Also, for kids who's parents took them here at a young age, this is the only country they know and there should be a path to citizenship for them. We also need to honor the folk who came here legally and went through all of the hoops. It's a complicated issue that can't be solved with partisanship or rhetoric. Ronald Reagan and both Presidents Bush all supported much of what the democrats are supporting now. Republicans left the immigration issue. This is not on the democrats. The amazing thing is that both parties hammered out an immigration agreement that almost got up to a vote that would likely have won. It was only piecemeal, but it was a start. Then Trump killed it out of spite for it not including his wall. That's where we stand. We don't want open borders. I haven't met the liberal who does. We want a path to citizenship for some, not all, immigrants and that doesn't mean immunity. How that is defined will be an interesting debate. One that congressional republicans aren't allowing to take place at the moment because Trump's entire presidential campaign blamed Mexicans for most of the ills of the white working class. That is statistically not the case, but it helps win elections. Anyway, that's it. That'w what the majority of us (and a lot of republicans) believe.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
My Thoughts on the SCOTUS Bakery Verdict:

I get that this is a narrow ruling that only protects custom orders, but it's still bogus. Besides cake toppers and other specific decorations, there are no gay ingredients. The creation of a confection does not mean endorsement of a ceremony. This is modern day shunning. Anyone in customer service knows that waiting on people that you don't like isn't a hardship. It's called adulthood and being a professional. We cannot choose to be this way in a functioning society. More and more, we have all begun to curate our lives, our news, our social media connections, but this goes too far. We're becoming less connected with each other. This makes the world smaller, inhibits growth and understanding. This entire case is a selfish child's argument, not a religious one. Progressives who didn't support our last presidential candidate because of her imperfections - elections have consequences. This is one we're going to have to suffer through, in unimaginable ways, for years to come. Your behavior last election cycle was childish too. In this world, we don't always get what we want and sometimes have to put the needs of others before our own or before our ego. That's where I stand. Morally, I wouldn't buy a cake from a bigot, but that's not the point. Desegregating lunch-counters and restaurants in the 60's helped bring about a better functioning society. That was not going to happen without a push. That's what America does - push a little bit and our people rise to the occasion. Well, our nation has become all too angry, fickle, nihilistic, and selfish these days. I have faith that the the tide will turn again.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
My Thoughts on the SCOTUS Bakery Verdict:

I get that this is a narrow ruling that only protects custom orders, but it's still bogus. Besides cake toppers and other specific decorations, there are no gay ingredients. The creation of a confection does not mean endorsement of a ceremony. This is modern day shunning. Anyone in customer service knows that waiting on people that you don't like isn't a hardship. It's called adulthood and being a professional. We cannot choose to be this way in a functioning society. More and more, we have all begun to curate our lives, our news, our social media connections, but this goes too far. We're becoming less connected with each other. This makes the world smaller, inhibits growth and understanding. This entire case is a selfish child's argument, not a religious one. Progressives who didn't support our last presidential candidate because of her imperfections - elections have consequences. This is one we're going to have to suffer through, in unimaginable ways, for years to come. Your behavior last election cycle was childish too. In this world, we don't always get what we want and sometimes have to put the needs of others before our own or before our ego. That's where I stand. Morally, I wouldn't buy a cake from a bigot, but that's not the point. Desegregating lunch-counters and restaurants in the 60's helped bring about a better functioning society. That was not going to happen without a push. That's what America does - push a little bit and our people rise to the occasion. Well, our nation has become all too angry, fickle, nihilistic, and selfish these days. I have faith that the the tide will turn again.
I work in customer service and have for over ten years. I have helped people of all kinds and the help I have provided has in no way condone or supported who they are or anything. I was kind to them, and no matter what tried not to judge them based on a quick interaction on a call or at a cash register. What your talking about is an independent business offering a service. That business should have the right to choose who they serve just so much as the customers do as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As far as immigration, I just think the solution has always been holding corporations accountable, so they aren't so eager to hire illegal immigrants in the first place. And I will say both parties left illegal immigrants dangling for far too long, and all this recent turmoil was probably the inevitable result.

As far as the bakery thing, honestly, I think both sides made this a far bigger deal than it needed to be. But what else is new, heh.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just think the solution has always been holding corporations accountable, so they aren't so eager to hire illegal immigrants in the first place.
I don't think it's that the companies are eager to hire the illegal immigrants so much as it is they just simply know that illegal immigrants are willing to take crap jobs for anywhere between scale and a reasonable salaries, because middle and working class Americans sure aren't . . . then they whine and complain about the illegals "stealing" jobs away from them that they wouldn't even take in the first place. It'd be like a kid who doesn't want to eat his veggies, so someone else eats them instead, then the kid cries about his veggies being stolen.