Retro Commercials--What's the Attraction?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Maybe...I ask a lot of weird questions about everyday things that no one seems to stop and think about I guess...
But asking questions is a good thing. ^_^

And as we all know here, weirdness is also a good thing. :smirk:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
They still air double mint gum commercials and I don't remember then ever stopping either. In fact just a few years ago they were airing a commercial that was making fun of of eighties commercials that products like them used to air. That wee saying how things used to be simple and now it's not the same and as simplistic as it used to be. Advertising takes so much more now day than it used too.

I used to love Ernest! He use to come on after Garfield and I used to watch it every Saturday!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I used to love Ernest!
Yeah. Jim Varney made that character his. Too bad he was fruitfully trying to escape that character's personality during the time of his death.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As I understand it, Jim Varney actually had a near-genius I.Q.

Redsonga

Reaction score
That wee saying how things used to be simple and now it's not the same and as simplistic as it used to be. Advertising takes so much more now day than it used too.
..At least, that's what the media would have you think :wink:. Life is as simple as you make it:excited:...
I remember that commercial now, it was only shown a couple times where I lived..it rubbed me the wrong way for some reason...

The old commercials were always something you could sing for hours afterwards, like the old Reese's Pieces ads :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Or they starred characters who were just as loveable as the ones in TV series or games, such as those in cereal commercials, each with their own slogan. Sure, some are still around (Buzz Bee, Lucky Leprechan, Tucan Sam, etc.), but some faded into obsecurity (and we aren't talking Tony the Tiger or Cap'n Crunch either, though they've disappeared recently, as well), like The Cheerios Kid and "girlfriend" Sue, who were the children spokes-characters for the original Cheerios, just as I posted earlier in this thread: