Ricky Gervais in Talks to Star in 'Muppets' Sequel

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Gervais is not an actor/comedian that I am very fond of (though I don't dislike him either)...however I think he is someone who can pull off playing straightman to the muppets....he would definately play a more comedic element than segel did.......the key is to make the muppets the focus.... humans are needed for them to play off of....every muppet movie has had humans to some extent even the Muppet family christmas had Doc....its how the humans are used that matters.....

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm not jumping to any type of conclusions of whether this is good or bad. For one I'm not real familiar with him either. And two come on people they haven't even started filming yet and I'm already seeing people making the assumption the movie is gonna be bad. Lets take the wait and see approach shall we? I personally each time something new comes out I get even more excited!!!

I am so stoked their gonna be filming next month!!! Yahoo!! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
He's a perfect choice, he's funny and his work on Sesame Street shows that he's Muppet-ready. Full speed and 100% behind this idea!
I don't see why people always freak out about someone who genuinely loves the Muppets and has a passion for working with them. Especially one that was in the last movie, but ended up on the cutting room floor. There's some great fourth wall jokes they can put in about that, actually.

Think of it this way. There's a lot of crummy, passionless, cheap celebrities that Disney could force them to shove in that would be far worse. Look at MFS. Sure, F. Murray Abraham, Jeffery Tambor, Andie MacDowell and David Arquette were good... but everyone else in that movie (especially Schnider and Hulk Hogan) fell pretty flat.

As for human leads... come on. What did you think Doc Hopper and Nicky Holiday were?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't see why people always freak out about someone who genuinely loves the Muppets and has a passion for working with them. Especially one that was in the last movie, but ended up on the cutting room floor. There's some great fourth wall jokes they can put in about that, actually.

Think of it this way. There's a lot of crummy, passionless, cheap celebrities that Disney could force them to shove in that would be far worse. Look at MFS. Sure, F. Murray Abraham, Jeffery Tambor, Andie MacDowell and David Arquette were good... but everyone else in that movie (especially Schnider and Hulk Hogan) fell pretty flat.

As for human leads... come on. What did you think Doc Hopper and Nicky Holiday were?
To be honest, I think there are some people who don't like Gervais due to some of the statements he's made as a very vocal atheist. The Muppets work with all sorts of people and I think that should include him too. His work with Elmo on Sesame Street was amazing. He is a perfect fit. He has the same sort of Grodin deadpan. Now, who will be the femme fatale? Scarlet Johansen is in the Disney fold. Could they pick a British actress? There are many possibilities.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
I think Ricky Gervais is a excellent choice for the Muppets he's funny and he is great in the scenes with Elmo on Sesame Street :smile::big_grin:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I still know this movie is gonna excellent regardless who is cast. I'm going for the Muppets the human actors are just side dishes to me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be honest, I think there are some people who don't like Gervais due to some of the statements he's made as a very vocal atheist.
Well, he IS British, so what do people expect? This could be like with the case of Alice Cooper back in the 70s, when people were so certain he WAS the Anti-Christ... then he appeared on TMS, and suddenly, they're all like, "Oh, he's with the Muppets, I guess he's NOT the Anti-Christ."

All and all, I think it makes perfect sense: the sequel is supposed to be in England, right? Well, Ricky Gervais is perhaps one of the biggest English star in the entertainment industry right now, so it works.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To be honest, I think there are some people who don't like Gervais due to some of the statements he's made as a very vocal atheist.
Not just that, but everything he says is supposedly controversial because he makes supposedly offensive statements in his comedy routines. Same thing that kept him getting banned from awards shows, just long enough for the producers to realize that was the only reason people even tuned into said awards shows. Plus, those who just don't get The Office style comedy.

I think it's just the stigma of "human leads" being the focus of the film by default that's bugging certain fans right now. It was integral for the last film to have the humans and Walter carry the story to the mid-way point, but this time the Muppets are playing with house money and should be the true stars. I tend to think the writers know that too, and human leads just means main human characters with which the Muppets will interact with.