Ricky Gervais in Talks to Star in 'Muppets' Sequel

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
On the subject of Ty Burell, don't worry about him hogging up the Muppets space.
I have an extreme good feeling that he'd be a lot like the Security Guard in Muppets at WDW. Most people were fond of that character and that's exactly what Burrell can play well.

On Ricky Gervais, also don't worry. He is definitely not going to hog up important space. He'll most probably have the same amount of a role than what Radisha Jones had in the last movie. (Not the same kinda role, but probably around the same screen time.)

They're both very Muppety as well, I don't know why everyone's so worried about that. :confused:

Hubert

Reaction score
Just to clarify, the people a bit worried about the human roles ARE NOT worried about the actors themselves for the most part as much as we are about the fact that the script is calling for too much human.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just to clarify, the people a bit worried about the human roles ARE NOT worried about the actors themselves for the most part as much as we are about the fact that the script is calling for too much human.
That's definitely the concern I'm hearing. Most of the later films have more human involvement (or at least focus) than the earlier ones. Part of that (at least with MCC and MTI) is because they wanted to re-introduce the characters, Kermit especially, slowly. The last movie needed the human characters to get us into the story, and then once they did, the Muppets thoroughly took the film back. They don't need to be reintroduced at all.

Still a human lead can be everything from a human friend to a villain to everything in between. We needn't worry about the script because we have no details on it. Thankfully, nothing was leaked yet.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't really see a need to worry. I want more Muppet screentime too, but Muppet Shows, movies and specials have always had high-profile human involvement:

• TMM – 2 human leads and a slew of cameos
  • GMC – 1 main human lead, his henchwomen, his sister and a slew of cameos
  • MTM – 3 human leads and a slew of cameos
  • MCC – 3 human leads and a lot of human extras
  • MTI – 2 human leads and some human extras
  • MFS – 1 main human lead and some sub-par cameos
  • TM – 3 human leads and a slew of cameos
  • TM2 – 3 human leads (and probably a slew of cameos)
I think the main human failure of last year's (otherwise successful) film was that the story of Gary took up too much screentime and there weren't enough Muppets in some of the musical numbers. I don't think they'll repeat that. Either way, the casting of humans isn't an indicator that they will. People are needed to play-off of the Muppets. This seems normal to me. Too much second-guessing and Chicken-Littling on this thread. Nobody's landed. :cool:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
There's no chicken little going on by me. :smile: I'm just stating what I'd like to see more of.

On another note for me I'm already hoping I'll have a babysitter the day the movie comes out :stick_out_tongue: because this time next year I will have a wee little one. :smile: I hope my parents aren't busy on whatever date this thing is coming out. Lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the main human failure of last year's (otherwise successful) film was that the story of Gary took up too much screentime and there weren't enough Muppets in some of the musical numbers. I don't think they'll repeat that.
If I have one complaint about that movie, it's that it felt like a complete film trilogy in 90 minutes. There was so much story in that film that they could easily have made it a 2 or 3 parter. The human part took up a decent amount of story at the beginning, but once things turned over to the Muppets, the human part of the story got truncated and pushed aside pretty quickly. I swear they could have pulled an Anchorman and made a second DTV film made solely of deleted scenes.

But yeah. Most of the film was establishing the story to build up to re-establishing the brand. The next film doesn't need it.