Robert Zemeckis 'Buzzing' about a second Roger Rabbit Movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still say if this movie gets anywhere near development, I'll buy a hat and eat it.

muppets2

Reaction score
yes,now they could put some Hanna Barbara characters in the movie as well..
yes that would be nice they could do a daffy donald and yakky doodle piano battle

or any other h-b char cameos

Unknown Delight

Reaction score
I love Roger Rabbit. Loved the film and the various cartoon shorts that were produced in the years that followed it. Loved the whole concept....and loved what the film helped to bring back into the spotlight.

As much as a love all those things, i am very hesitant to say i will 'love a sequel'. Sequels in general are never as good as the original..although yes, there have been a FEW rare exceptions in some cases. For THIS project however, i cannot see it topping the first without a mish-mash of all the elements that film studios' feel NEED to be in such a film ( overkill on the CGI 'effects' for one thing). No...i have a hard time getting excited about such a project as i have a serious feeling of dread grip me whenever the topic comes up. I think the characters have plenty of future potential, but this should be built on the medium that they themselves are KNOWN FOR - 'CLASSIC CEL ANIMATION'.

I have a problem with the oversaturation of CGI elements and characters in films and tv series these days. Many of these could have been better executed IMO by using cel animation. We have a entire generation now it seems that have been brainwashed into thinking that 'animation' is CGI based stuff produced by Dreamworks and Pixar. Of course i understand that these days, studios want to keep the production costs down and all...and CGI based animation is usually the less expenisve option when compared to hand drawn/cel animaton in most cases. What gets me really in a fury though is when such studios seem to express the sentiment that 'Trad' Animation is 'less desired' and 'less marketable' then CGI based work. I find that depressing and anger inducing all at the same time.

I don't think we will see any new Roger works until the time comes Classic Traditional -style animation comes back into 'fashion' May the Gods bless Disney's 'Frog and the Princess' to do just that. If that film hits it big and sets off a sudden high demand for Traditional Cel Animation again like 'An American Tail' and 'Roger..' did in the mid 80's, i think things will look more promising for a new Roger film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not so much the CGI that bugs me as the whole motion capture thing. I'm sure they could make it look cartoony with some sort of CGI'traditional looking animation cross bread... but I'm really not liking the obsessiveness of Zermeckis and his motion capture system. I liken it to George Lucas's constant CGI revisionist history (No! No! Things were supposed to look like HD movie thrill rides! Especially since they didn't exist prior to then, and no one would have predicted them). Polar Express, I completely agree with Frogboy, had a very ghoulish, pail look to it. It seemed very dark. I couldn't even get through watching it. And I'm not exactly loving "A Christmas Carol" which just seems to be a feature length 3-D movie theme park attraction. Watch the trailer for it...and you'll see what I mean. Compair it with UP, which was also seen in 3-D... the movie's graphics were enhanced by the effects, but it never detracted from the movie, and it plays just as well on a standard 2-D, non-digital projected screen. While Up was a movie that just so happened to distributed in 3-D, Christmas Carol seems like 3-D that just so happens to be distributed in a movie.

And with news of this and the Yellow Submarine remake, seems they're going to make movies specifically for the 3-D market... e.i. random effects akin to the characters pointing at the screen going "WeeeoooOOOOOooo! WeeeeeOOOOOOoooo!"

But I doubt this movie will happen at all... Amblin and Disney aren't really on friendly terms, and there was virtually nothing for the 20th anniversary of Roger Rabbit in terms of merchandise... I think I saw a large snowglobe and nothing else.

We have a entire generation now it seems that have been brainwashed into thinking that 'animation' is CGI based stuff produced by Dreamworks and Pixar. Of course i understand that these days, studios want to keep the production costs down and all...and CGI based animation is usually the less expenisve option when compared to hand drawn/cel animaton in most cases. What gets me really in a fury though is when such studios seem to express the sentiment that 'Trad' Animation is 'less desired' and 'less marketable' then CGI based work. I find that depressing and anger inducing all at the same time.
I think the problem lies with studio heads, some from studios that never even distributed animated features at all. Pixar may have started this trend, but I assure you, they're the ones most concerned with the state of 2-D animation. As they're owned by Disney now, they actually run their entire theatrical animation department... and I'm sure they're the ones who pressed to make Princess and the Frog a 2-D feature. In fact, there's a semi-subliminal message in the movie "Cars." The bumper sticker decorated character Filmore the Hippy bus has a sticker that says "Save 2-D animation."

What people forget is when Disney had a string of hits with 2-D features, companies like Warner Bros, MGM, and Fox also jumped on that trend as well... and while we got some gold, like American Tale, The Land Before Time, and the Iron Giant (which unfortunately flopped, no thanks to not having a Disney label slapped on it), we also got a lot of forgotten clunkers like Anastasia and Thumblina (both almost a waste of Don Bluth's talents, moreso the last one). Disney initially switched to a CGI format when movies like Treasure Planet and Brother Bear failed to click commercially and critically.