Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Because Jason and Nick made a script when Disney wasn't doing anything in-house.
And if they did, they'd've done Muppets Underwater or Muppet Sense and Sensibility or something no one would be excited about.

Yes, I saw this on IMDB.com this morning. I do hope it will be decent, as I was vastly disappointed in Elmo in Grouchland. I know that film was targeted towards a younger audience, so I do hope this new film will be like Follow That Bird in that will appeal to all ages. Afterall, Big Bird in the airplane chase scene that referenced Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" was pure genius.
I don't think they'd dare to make another movie like EIG. It made a meager 11 million domestic, and is the worst grossing Muppet project of all time (unless you count Buddy, which made slightly less). Not that FTB was a huge success (until it hit home video, anyway)... but just the Elmo stamp on the picture scared a LOT of people away. Not to mention the age group the film was intended for was collectively too young to sit quietly and watch a movie for 90 minutes, regardless of how much Elmo it was.

If they're smart, they'll play a little nostalgic angle on this film. Sure, I don't see too much of Sherlock Hemlock or Forgetful Jones... but those characters weren't exactly present in the first film, which focused on more common, core characters. As long as there's a good amount of Ernie, Bert, Cookie, Grover, Oscar, and Big Bird, I'm happy. EIG tried to shoehorn some of those characters in (Ernie and Bert's asides were the highlight of the movie, if you ask me), but focused too much on Elmo. And it wasn't as shared as Big Bird's starring role in FTB.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I agree, please let this film be an ensemble movie. One that everyone can enjoy, not just it's target.

Please don't let this be an "Elmo & Abby's Big Adventure" type film. :grouchy:

beaker

Reaction score
All I can say is THANK GOODNESS. I've been waiting for a new Sesame film for ages.
Good to see the Success of Muppets 2011 is paying off. To see those vibrant colorful characters on screen again will be nice. Hey, I even saw Elmo in Grouchland, as much as I didnt care for how the whole movie takes place on sets instead of the real world

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Now we have all three big Muppet/Henson franchise making a movie!
What could get better than this?

beaker

Reaction score
My suggestion: Have Sesame take place in the real world of New York, like the Murray/Ovejita segments. Have Spike Jonze direct:smile:

This is sooo awesome!!!!! I screamed like Piggy about to be on Broadway when I heard the news. First Muppets 2, then the Fraggle deal working again, and now THIS?!?! Best time to be a muppet fan ever!
I agree, gonna be very interesting when a flurry of Muppet related films comes to cinema again. Even though I was disappointed, I loved 1999 for having two Muppet films in cinema.

beaker

Reaction score
Now we have all three big Muppet/Henson franchise making a movie!
What could get better than this?
Is there renewed hope for the Fraggle movie? Im surprised they didnt just make a cheap straight to video FR film, as I would have been happy with that

Also they still going forward with Happytime Murders?

KingR76

Reaction score
These were my first thoughts when I heard about this Amazing bit of news:

"Sweet Yoda! It was a week ago today I met Kermit the Frog (true story) and today I hear about Sesame Street coming to the big screen. #EPIC"

and.

"First we have A #Muppets Film then I meet Kermit the Frog & he asks us about ANOTHER #Muppet Film & then Sesame Street movie announced YAAAY"

Needless to say I'm over the Moon about this :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lol, #I #believe #we #all #are, #so #much #in fact, let's put #random ##s in front of our #words as we #type! :batty:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Super Grover movie, anyone? :smile:
I'm all for and sort of against the idea at the same time. I don't need to state the positives... the positive is a Super Grover movie.

The problem is, we're literally flooded with Super Hero/Comic Book movies, and while a parody super hero film sounds like a no-brainer, I'm not sure Super Grover can be a strong enough concept for a full movie without QUITE a bit of tinkering. Personally, I'd love to see a concept where it is a Super Grover movie, but it's made by Grover himself. Sort of the Cheapest Movie concept, only with Sesame Street characters. I can see a scene where Grover tries VERY hard to get Oscar to be the villain of the movie while Oscar refuses to do it.

But then that opens the big question... what would a Sesame Street film need to be to set itself apart from the television show and multiple DTV projects? A Classic retelling? A Character focused piece (like both Sesame Films were)? A Parody film? The Muppets have always had more leeway because the show was only on 5 years, and the movies took them out of comfortable environments to do something extraordinary. Sesame Street has more or less done everything in 42+ years, several TV specials, and a couple DTV projects. I'm sure they have a great script and they pull it off... but like I said, people in this country are absolutely baffled by TV shows as movies. They need something to grab a large audience to make this film successful enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.