1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Hubert, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

well I don't want to see some of the Muppets that we have not seen in forever like in the Muppets I just want some of the classic SST like Big bird and Grover to get a good story line and not have to push a educational agenda.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Somehow, I can't see us getting the "ensemble" piece that we're wanting, they'll probably have to have either Elmo or Abby carry the helm while the others ride of their coat-tails.

Some people have been saying they'd like to see an Ernie and Bert movie... I can't see that happening... I love Ernie and Bert as much as the next person, but they've kind of fallen in popularity in recent years (even Tina Fey thinks so), so I doubt a movie with the two of them in focus would be too successful with kids. Remember, the pre-schoolers of today are going to be their target audience, not us.

EDIT: And now that I figured out what Drtooth was talking about, no, Letters to Santa was definitely not a movie, we knew that, it was clearly a special, but CE and AIW on the other hand, yes, they were treated as movies. Does create a lot of confusion, doesn't it?
  3. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Being realisitic, the central character(s) would HAVE to be either Elmo and/or Abby. They're obviously the show's most popular characters, and im sure they'd take that into consideration when framing the story. A somewhat Grover-centric movie would work (like a Grover-Elmo dynamic (just being real here)), since it seems the writers have a ball writing for Grover, especially in recent years.

Sadly, as Snowth mentioned, I noticed to Ernie & Bert's "decline" in popularity in recent seasons, so a movie centering around them would probably not sell as much. And personally, I always saw E&B (along with Cookie) as strong supporting characters, not headliners for say, a whole film. Now a Big Bird centric film is kind of a 50/50 thing. Kids still know and love him, but I wonder in this day and age if he'd be marketable to star/carry another film as opposed to say, cash cows Elmo & Abby.

And we all know Joey has a weakness for writing for Big Bird, so I doubt that'd happen.:rolleyes:

Aside from that, I have faith that Joey will deliver something that all Sesame fans can enjoy...that's if the studio and SW itself doesn't screw it up first.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

If this were a German film, it would indeed star Ernie and Bert. They REALLY love those guys over there.
  5. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

OK then...let's all learn German real quick and maybe they'll make it a German film...
    Beauregard likes this.
  6. Drtooth

The reality is that this movie will no doubt have some focus on Elmo and Abby. If they're smart, they'll realize the mistakes made with EIG basically being a Toy commercial for Elmo stuff.

Elmo's a great character when he's paired up with the right characters. Zoe can get a rise out of Elmo by annoying him with Rocko, but deep down, they're close friends. Grover is the clumsy, Inspector Clouseau type that tries to give Elmo his years of inexperience (a concept not used as much as it should). Oscar's the grouchy grandfather... Telly's the more pessimistic, easily frustrated big brother... even Big Bird has a nice play with Elmo.

Abby doesn't.

Now, I've often said Abby has the potential to be a great character, but they somehow never tap it. She works well when paired with characters that are prone to frustrated breakdowns or any sort of exasperation... the adults, Telly, Baby Bear... she works similar to Mumford, but has the innocence of a child making mistakes (which she either shrugs off, gets frustrated with, or even depressingly doubts herself). The character was introduced as extremely shy, and I'm glad she came out of her shell, but now she has no shell... and there was personality in there. Even in her own segment, she's little miss perfect and rarely instigates trouble (leaving it too often to Blogg and Gonnigan).

But when you put her with Elmo... there's something wrong with the chemistry. It's like the writers try too hard to stay away from having Elmo get upset at Abby, so it's all the time smiles. I swear that somehow, someone's stifling the writers from doing so.And it's just so inorganic and forced when they're together. They're treated as mascots for the show, and when they're together, it's like Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh.

A movie just can't seem too interesting if there isn't some tension between the two characters at some point.
  7. D'Snowth

It more than likely is the writers, because otherwise, when it comes to improvising, and ad-libbing, the chemistry between Elmo and Abby seems more genuine, like the time they were on Bonnie Hunt's undeservingly short-lived talk show promoting the Green Elmo DVD thing, and she accidentally turned him green on live TV, to which she quickly turns her head and exclaims, "I can't look at him, he's too hideous!", while Elmo just stands there with his jaw dropped like he got told.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  8. Drtooth

I can't even blame the writers... it seems that some hire up wants character purity of Elmo and Abby being overly perfect with one and other... even though when paired with others, they get a more comic reaction.
  9. bingboingcutie

bingboingcutie Active Member

Yes, definitely something short in NYC. Sesame Street would just look so much cooler there. And they already have scenes in the real world on the show already, so kids would be somewhat familiar with the sets (I honestly thought shooting Elmo in Grouchland in Toronto or wherever was kinda weird. It didn't look too much like Sesame Street to me.)

Also, I agree with what these guys are saying about Abby. I mean, I love her, I've got the doll and Ms. Carerra rocks, but there's just something not right about Elmo and Abby being best friends. It almost feels forced by the company. Or maybe I'm just mad about Abby breaking Elmo and Zoe's best-friendship. :laugh:
  10. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

That does sound like a pretty interesting idea, to have them in NYC. I wonder what the storyline would be to get them there, but it would be nice to have that, the way the Muppet movies never took place in the TMS setting...which I guess FTB kinda did do that, but still...it would be interesting to see the gang in NYC...
  11. Drtooth

I really do like Abby. She works best with certain characters, but there's that branding issue with Elmo and Abby. And I agree. There's something magical about the friendship Zoe and Elmo share. It's like Baby Bear and Telly or even Big Bird and Snuffy. Elmo and Abby are like Ernie and Humphrey. Weird combination.
  12. D'Snowth

Actually, it was FTB that was filmed in Toronto (EIG was shot in North Carolina, IIRC), and it's because it's actually cheaper to do a movie in Canada as opposed to in America, which is why a lot of American movies are actually filmed in Toronto, or other major cities in Canada. Remember, most of Jim's specials were done in Canada as well, such as The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, and others.
  13. bingboingcutie

LOL, that is definitely the truth. Some relationships just have to click like that; no one can force them. Like with Baby Bear and Telly; Baby Bear was originally meant to be a one-episode character, but then he kept coming back and sharing some episodes with Telly, and pretty soon this character from a fairy tale and this monster were best of friends. Odd couple, but you can't stop a friendship like that.

And some just come naturally by performer. Like my friend Fraggline poined out the other day, who would've guessed Boober, the clean, orderly germ freak, and Wembley, the less-than-hygenic little fraggle, could hit it off so well together? It's just Steve and Dave there.

But then how did Zoe and Elmo get that magic and Abby and Elmo didn't, even though both monsters were paired on purpose? I'm curious.
  14. bingboingcutie

And Fraggle too. So that's why they always do it in Canada. I always thought it was so they could get big, empty spaces (for a yellow studebaker, perhaps?). But it still looks weird to me...I mean, why do a SS movie in North Carolina when New York, where SS takes place, is right in front of your nose?
  15. Drtooth

I'd love to see Abby's magic go awry on Elmo and have Elmo flip out about it. Something where Elmo makes her cry, even though he doesn't mean it and feels sorry about it. "Rhyming Block" was the only time the characters had any real tension, and it WORKED.

Think about it this way. Why did Mumford sketches work so well? His magic backfired and everyone either gets upset at him or shrugs it off like "Why me?" She does that with adults, celebrities, and basically everyone BUT Elmo.
  16. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Lately I've noticed in some way that the SST crew seems to be apprehensive about putting much tension between characters. It's a shame...it makes Sesame Street more complete with a full range of emotions.
  17. D'Snowth

Maybe they're afraid of throwing the old "Break the Cutie" trope at Elmo and Abby or something.
  18. bingboingcutie

Hey, that sounds like it might be pretty funny. Elmo and Zoe had tension like that (what with Rocco and all), but Elmo and Abby have never had that. I'd love to see Elmo get all frazzled up about some spell Abby did. Also, what's Rhyming Block?
  19. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

And I think tension between those two is something that kids can really relate to...I'm sure that they get mad at their friend or sibling or something sometimes. They can be shown how to handle that anger through those two. Plus, it's not like Elmo getting mad at Gordon or something, both seem about the same age, same mentality, which is something good to show, as in the child's life, they're probably going to end up being tension between them and someone that is on their same level, rather than someone older or younger than them.
  20. bingboingcutie

Yeah, and I remember this one episode where Elmo got pretty upset at Zoe for treating Rocco like he was more special than Elmo during their special play date together. And when Elmo would blow up at her for acting like the rock was alive, he would always start to realize how Zoe felt and try to find a way to make it up to her. I think that would be really pretty cute if Elmo and Abby did that, and it would be a really healthy thing for kids to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.