"Save Roger Rabbit" petition--April 2003 update

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Um...missing something? *hint, her appearence almost made the film rated not for children*
True, but Disney/Amblin cleaned that part up as best they could. But in regards to a new cast, I hope that doesn't mean the likes of Spongebob, Dora, Blue, etc. I'd rather it be unique characters that have a Muppet-like appeal (i.e. those that have fans, but also have critics, just as Mickey & company have been liked by fans and harped on by critics for ages), like the cast of Invader Zim...but in a toned-down fashion for the audience, given how JV wanted the real franchise to have intense graphic scenes involving bloody gore (complete with bodily dismemberment), barbaric violence, and steamy sexual situations.

Drtooth

Reaction score
True, but Disney/Amblin cleaned that part up as best they could. But in regards to a new cast, I hope that doesn't mean the likes of Spongebob, Dora, Blue, etc. I'd rather it be unique characters that have a Muppet-like appeal (i.e. those that have fans, but also have critics, just as Mickey & company have been liked by fans and harped on by critics for ages), like the cast of Invader Zim...but in a toned-down fashion for the audience, given how JV wanted the real franchise to have intense graphic scenes involving bloody gore (complete with bodily dismemberment), barbaric violence, and steamy sexual situations.
I'd doubt that Spongebob and Dora would be there any more than Optimus Prime and Inspector Gadget where in the 1980's film.

Anyway:

The "Trail mix up" short was pared up with "A far off Place"- I remember it well, since it was the movie marquee in a certain episode of Seinfeld, where Kramer needs to find a toilet, and gets mugged on the way. Clearly the "Far off Place" thing was a visual pun.

As for a sequal, anytime a film takes years to sequal, there usually is a LOT to worry about. Sure, Indiana Jones, and the TMNT films did justice to their original counterparts. The Star Wars ones are arguably different from their older counterparts, but George had the story in his mind for years. But when it comes to things like The Mask 2, the first in a long line of Jim Carrey-less Jim Carry sequals, there's nothing but stumbling blocks and failed concepts.

I doubt a Roger Rabbit film would ever happen again. No doubt there's too many copyright problems, and all the various companies would agree to have the characters co-exist.

Though, with the Warners/Turner merger, that's one block cleared.

And there isn't that fearce a rivalry against Disney and Warners. I mean, Toon Disney has been airing Warner Bros cartoons like Pinky and the Brain and Batman TAS, when Warners themselves refuse to air them.

The only 2 things keeping this movie down is the fact they haven't had a viable film treatment for years and the Amblin/Disney thing. Seriously.... if Warners can make a deal with Amblin to distribute the Animainaics/Pinky and the Brain/Tiny Toons/Freakazoid DVD's, they could make a deal with Disney to make another Roger Rabbit.

So, I feel it's mostly the fact that there's no way they could top, or even hold onto the original.

Telly

Reaction score
I get so bummed when I hear about the prequel that almost was!:frown::cry:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Oh well. Some things come & others go, I guess.

Telly

Reaction score
The musical would've fit right in with todays movies with the musicals making a comeback and all!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The musical would've fit right in with todays movies with the musicals making a comeback and all!
And speaking of musical and talks of an Oz remake, I'd rather they ditch that Oz remake idea & do Wicked: The Movie instead.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've always thought a Roger Rabbit sequel set in the times of McCarthyism would beautifully fit the timeline and be an interesting backdrop for a story. An all-star cartoon musical about McCarthyism. Bring it on! :eek: