1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Season 40 Hidden Gems

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by The Count, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

I wonder if future negotiations will take place? It makes me wonder...

I know people have mentioned it before, but Sesame Workshop must have some good partership between themselves and Disney.

When the Henson Company put out Emmet Otter and The Christmas Toy, they said:

"Uh, Disney Company? We want to put out these Christmas specials. Kermit's in 'em, but only a little bit. Can we--"

Disney's reply: "Nope." (door slams)

Henson Company shrugs and takes a hacksaw to both specials before they are released on DVD.

This was the Henson Company, the people who used to own Kermit.

Now, around the same time, here's Sesame Workshop putting out Old School DVD's...

SW asks: "We wanna put Kermit in 'em, is that OK, Disney Company?"

Disney says: "Yeah, sure, just put a thing in the credits that says you don't own Kermit."

What's the deal? I mean, I'm not complaining one bit about Kermit's cameo. I think it's great! I just don't get how easy it is for Sesame Workshop to feature Kermit and the Henson Company would have such a hard time...even with archival footage!

If SW sat down with Disney and worked out some kind of new deal where Kermit could appear on the street for a street story, that'd be 10 types of awesome. To see Kermit would boost ratings (for more nostalgic viewers like us and parents who want their kids to see Kermit on SS like they did).

Also, it'd give Steve more work to do. How easy would it be after an Ernie and Bert sketch for Steve to walk onto the set, get Kermit from a puppet wrangler and perform something with Abby or Gordon or Maria at the brownstone? If legal matters could be straightened out, why not? He'd be right there on the set!

Since this thread is about the hidden gems, my favorites so far have been the Muppeteer cameos (yay for Marty and Caroll!) and Bip Bipadotta appearing with Leela and saying "Mahna Mahna"...

...hold it...

I wonder if SW had to pay extra for that. Probably not. Yeah, it's Bip, not Mahna Mahna. And yeah, the song appeared on Sesame Street long before TMS. Still, I've read cases where the Disney lawyers get pretty snippy over the tiniest things.

Convincing John
  2. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

The musical guest was Keb Mo singing Everybody Be Yo'self
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that SW made an agreement with Disney that they are allowed to show past Kermit material in their archives, but need permission to make new material with him (i.e Elmo's World: Frogs). Judging by the Henson Christmas special DVDs, they clearly don't have the same deal.
  4. Mupp

Mupp Member

Yeah. They are techincally considered two different characters, so I don't think there was any issue with that.

And to be perfectly honest, its not just Disney lawyers. The lawyers of ANY company can get snippy over things.
  5. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't doubt it, but it seems like Disney (since it's such a huge company) is "snippier" than the rest. Some companies hire "Lionel Hutz" type of lawyers 'cause that's all they can afford. But with all the Mickey Mouse Money, Disney's probably got some of the most powerful lawyers in the USA.

But back to Kermit, I hope Sesame Workshop sees how much we liked his cameo and can eventually bring the frog to the street at some point. It would be great for the new generation of kids to learn from Kermit like I did back in the day.

I don't think there's a Muppet fan out there who wouldn't want to see Kermit on SS. His cameo was fun to see and it'd be great if we could see him again.

Convincing John
  6. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I for one would love to see Kermit come back once a season in some new Sesame Street material--if the Workshop can afford more than a ten-second cameo. Since Elmo technically re-introduced the "green frog" to a new generation of viewers, I hope that gives his popularity a boost!
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The Henson Kids (at least Brian) had a brief cameo in the arbor at the beginning establishing shot. Too bad they didn't have Brian puppeteer some character.
  8. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

OMG Brian on SS? I can't believe it. That's got to be rare on SS
  9. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Rare, but not the first time as he (and other of Jim's kids) often popped up in early films Jim did for Sesame. Haven't watched the tape of today's episode yet but i would fall over laughing if they showed him counting change!
  10. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

Brian on the Street -Awesome!
  11. Mupp

Mupp Member

Yeah, the Henson kids were on on the street.

Telly even said "Hi Cheryl!" when she past by.
  12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Are you talking about today's ep? Since you mentioned it I did sort of wonder who that guy was. From a distance, I sort of thought he looked like Bob. I guess it's because I haven't seen Brian in anything lately. I'm wondering if there were any other hidden gems. When Leela said 'I'd even say itsy-bitsy,' I had the 'Sing Your Synonyms' song in mind. I wonder if that was intentional.
  13. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to know, my video may be postponed. My DVD/VCR player is acting up again and it won't even recognize DVDs that I use to burn, so if I can't remedy it, I'll have to upload an incomplete completion. *GASP!*
  14. I hate to spoil things, but that was John, not Brian.
  15. :eek: :grouchy: :mad:... I mean, oh, dear...
  16. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Possible second gem in the "Jack Grows His Own Beanstalk" episode: Jack expresses frustration with his inability to find the right item, saying "I'll never get it, never, never!" Don Music-style. Granted, he couldn't bang his head against Leela's lap, but I expected those discordant piano notes in the background any second... :)
  17. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Giving accurate information is never spoiling things; just the opposite.

I was wondering about that after i finally got around to watching the tape - i don't have Hi-Def, but i was wondering if that was actually Brian or John. It's been a while since we've seen Brian so i was thinking, "If that's Brian, he's really changed a bit over the last couple of years." You beat me to it before i could post anything though.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Of course, you basically saw them for a split second, so I wouldn't be surprized if people got confused. I know I was.
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Hmmm. That would 'splain why I didn't recognize him. I recall seeing Brian on 'the Muppet Show' episode intros. I don't think I've seen John. I know he's taken over Sweetums after Richard Hunt's death, but I'm not sure I've actually seen him anywhere outside of the costume. Makes one wonder exactly where Brian was though. I thought it was all the Henson kids. I guess Brian's busy working on the next Muppet project. Just a theory.
  20. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

I would say Brian has to handle some Henson Company projects.