Selling a Poster of the Twin towers

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sweetums74
Often parrots that are pining for the fjords are mistaken for being dead.
Y'know i always thought that might be the case.

So far the 'Non Parrot' has gathered a lot more interest than the poster of the twin towers - at this rate i might take a trip to the garden to dig up the Hamster ! :rolleyes:

Luke

Reaction score
Just a quick news update on the parrot - apparently it was stuffed ! Who would have known eh ?

Not to worry though, we have an incredibly rare african turtle thats been up in our attic for the last five years - maybe he's still ok, though i worry the varnish might have finished him off !

beaker

Reaction score
I remember being 8 years old and standing at ground zero...of course back then it was called "the World Trade Center", looked like it was a million Babel stories high; and 80's excess, Warhol, and Wang Chung was all the rage.

Ok, you now can return to the Monty Python hijinx.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I remember being 8 years old and standing at ground zero...of course back then it was called "the World Trade Center", looked like it was a million Babel stories high; and 80's excess, Warhol, and Wang Chung was all the rage.

Ok, you now can return to the Monty Python hijinx.
Eh...I remember being a young kid, and asking my mom about buildings and such on our way to NY (when flying wasn't such an ordeal). She told me this: "The Tallest Buildings in the US are the World Trade Center buildings. They are so large and beautiful, you're going to love them!" Then we went, and it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Majestic is the word I would use to describe how the towers stood in my eyes. The I think we ate at "Windows to the World," but I can't remember. *Sigh*, cruel cruel world...and paired with the fact that when they draft soldiers to fight in Iraq I'm most definitely going, I want to go lie down....oh well...

Now, hand over your Lupids!
Lupids, you mean like the flower lupids?

heh, :smile: I smile through the adversity.

-Matt

Luke

Reaction score
Are you a soldier then or part of the military ?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
No I am neither of those things Luke. It is just my prediction that if America wages war on Iraq, they will probably instate a draft. I am prime age to be drafted. So should a war be declared, I am pretty sure that I will be going over to fight. Dear lord, have mercy. Something tells me that a war in Iraq would be Vietnam 2. They teach their children to hate Americans at a very young age, and I'm sure that they will have them fight our troops if were over there. Eck, it is so unpleasant to think about. But yeah, I am not yet a military person, but should a draft be instated I probably will be. :frown:

-Matt

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
No I am neither of those things Luke. It is just my prediction that if America wages war on Iraq, they will probably instate a draft. I am prime age to be drafted.
Not to make light of your fears, but I think you can stop worrying. At this point, a draft is very unlikely. Plus, for this particular war, foolishly or not, I am certain that there would be lots of young men enlisting in order to fight. Popularity-wise, this ain't no Vietnam!

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
No I am neither of those things Luke. It is just my prediction that if America wages war on Iraq, they will probably instate a draft.
Actually it's very unlikely they ever would. With the advent of computer technology, unmanned planes, guided missiles the idea of 'drafts' becomes more and more not needed. From what i heard they reckon 20 batallions of army units will be enough to go in and overthrow Saddam and thats what they are assembling. Even in a ground war, they would never choose to draft civilians into Iraq - i did Iraq/Gulf War for my A-Level Contemporary history thesis and it isn't the kind of place you'd put ordinary people in. For one you cannot train or ready them for that kind of terrain so they wouldn't last five minutes anyway, secondly having civilians on the ground crowds and muddies things in a situation where soldiers and special forces need to go undetected, and move with precision, thirdly as Jessica says, it would be a massively unpopular move and would reflect badly on the government and make the president very unpopular so all in all it's probably the remotest of remote possibilities.

America will definitely wage war on Iraq - i think the current date going around the press is the very end of November, start of December. Special Forces are already there scouting out possible targets, and a lot of military equipment from the UK is being moved closer to there.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, I strongly hope your both right. I really don't want to fight in this (or any) war. The idea scares the heck outta me. I'm in a Vietnam research class this year, and hearing the stories these soldiers tell is enough to make me want to hop the first train to Canada.

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
>>>It is just my prediction that if America wages war on Iraq, they will probably instate a draft<<<

Cantus, 3 things to ease your fears:

1) There is a pretty close to zero percent chance any sort of draft would be installed for a possible war with Iraq. Believe me, Im sure the United States government has duped enough of age guys with their slick rap-metal backed ad campaigns.

2) In the absolutely unlikely event a draft was induced,
there in the modern age is so many loopholes to get out of said draft. And if all else fails, there's always turning into a hockey loving hooser eh!

3)
Bush: Osama is our #1 enemy!
Bush advisor: Um, Mr. President we spent countless billions, bombed countless civilians, and we still couldnt find him.
Bush: um...Saddam is our #1 enemy!

Even Time and other mainstream publications have stated it is a personal Bush jr. vendetta or legacy or something. Add to that the millitary privately is saying they want a January or February attack date...so a desert storm 2.0 next year looks like a possibility. However, such a publicity media ripe super information highway soundbyte extravaganza would never gain acceptance if a draft was taken up.