1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Series 3 action figures retooled

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by Phillip, Aug 11, 2002.

1. ResidentLilly

ResidentLilly Active Member

The stuff actually does get reviewed by non-Muppet fans, and by people who have little to no relationship with Palisades. I can list out all the places that do reviews if you wish. You'll be happy to know that they are not always favorable, the reviews we have received in the past. Some were appaling, as the figures were not so good.

So far we have received good reviews on Muppets, and I don't expect that to change no matter who reviews them. Even the good reviewers have pointed out some of the flaws, and all figures have them...all things have them, as nothingf is perfect. I actually prefer to have someone like Jamie or Annika or even you, Luke, give your take. You know the characters better than anybody on the planet. Most people will dig them as figures but not be able to pick up on any royal blunders that are character related.

You guys can, and that's why reviews here seem to be the most interesting to me.
  2. Luke

Luke Active Member

Ken,

I'm glad to see you have got great reviews on the Muppets all round - maybe Phil could even get permission to reprint the figure reviews from other sources and they could be collated in the archives here.

From what you say - seems like you want multiple viewpoints from knowledgable fans. Can i suggest you look at this :-

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/tv-film/mfs_film.shtml

Is that the kind of format you would prefer as a product developer rather than one person doing the reviews each wave ?

I actually agree with you, i don't think the overall content of the reviews would change - it's obviously a great line. Even if there was one person who didn't like something, their views would be put into context by the other 5 people who did. I think a more balanced collection of reviews (coming from all sections of the fan community) would be more varied and interesting for us as readers though, and it's pretty much how we have always done it at Muppet Central, though weirdly enough it has changed for the figures.
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Luke

I'm glad you mentioned that you editied his name in. Thought I was going crazy (crazier than usual;)). I disagree with getting a totally impartial point of view, but I do feel that each review and article might be best if they rotated between different people - some staff, some not. Just a wide variety of different Muppet fan perspectives. Non fan reviews have been listed on the forum and are a valuable resource but it's more fitting for the MC reviews to be fan driven. I think that's what most people look for when going to a fan site.

Heck - maybe even "dueling" reviews side by side. Maybe they are two fans from different perspectives, maybe one is a fan, one is a non-fan or one could be an action figure expert. There are many ways this could go. I actually like this dueling figure review idea - as long as they have some contrasting points.

By the way - have you gotten your hands on any of these yet? I'd suggest the Dr. Teeth first. Just such a cool and unlikely figure.
  4. grail

grail New Member

he can reprint my Bunson review. i don't get paid, so i can put it where ever i want, as long as Zen gets first crack at it. it's already seen print, so it's all good.
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Luke

I'm sure you feel these figures are better than Muppets From Space was as a movie! LOL I get what you mean though. Just thought that was a funny example. :)

Keep in mind that this really wasn't the official series 3 review, it was just exclusive information on the tooling.
  6. Luke

Luke Active Member

Hey Jamie,

Yeah, i actually also love the 'duelling' review idea - it could be laid out very well on the site, to illustrate the whole concept. Just two people duelling it out would obviously look best, but they have to hold really differing viewpoints to make it worthwhile.

Heck - i wouldn't even mind if this wasn't even about the figures at all but was for some other product, maybe the busts or bobbleheads - i just think it would be a very fresh direction for Muppet Central to take, and would work brilliantly around here.

BTW - Yes, i have seen and handled the figs in packages. I have seen one or two of a friends out of the packages, and i have two of my own about to arrive anyday now. Kermit will likely be my first. The main wave two's i'm interested in are Gonzo and Fozzie. As for Wave Three - Scooter and Swedish Chef.

Yep - i realise it wasn't the official series 3 review - you just inspired me to think about this all - poor you, you really need to watch that next time ! :D
  7. grail

grail New Member

is it just me or does anyone else see the merit of having the "dueling reviewers" be Luke and Jamie?
  8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Heck, I do, but somebody's got to get on the ball and grab up the figures before a review can be written. LOL! It seem that if the articles have a chance of working the reviewers will have to be dilligent about buying the figures when they hit the market.
  9. Luke

Luke Active Member

I'd be up for being a "duelling reviewer" but the trouble is, i don't think i'd be seen by others as unbiased in this case because i've already said a lot on the figures. If i was reviewing wave one from what i've seen, i'd probably take the same kind of tack as Annika, although overall i'd be slightly less forgiving - they'd probably get a 4.

Probably the two products coming out for people to 'duel it out' on are the Rittenhouse Bobbleheads or the Palisades Mega-Beaker. Both are products where there are people with widely differing viewpoints which would make a 'duel' worthwhile. Everyone likes the figures, so it'd probably be better to go the usual Muppet Central multi person review format we usually have.

Anyway getting back on topic - how bout those series 3 sculpts, and Jamies cool article. I think the good work improving these puppies warrants some more discussion and opinions ........
  10. ronskimomo

ronskimomo New Member

I am so glad they are putting knee joints in some of the figures. I can't wait to see the painted retooled figures.
  11. matleo

matleo Active Member

you mean they aren't already? :D

Just Kidding guys.

--Matt
  12. Jackie

Jackie New Member

I just want to say that SCOOTER looks a million times better!
  13. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Very nice article, Frogboy;

My favorite line:

"Any sculptor will tell you that there is a degree of interpretation in every piece."

I think these figures are outstanding, and although it is difficult to tell the differences made without seeing painted prototypes (except for Lew, who DOES look much better), I'm amazed that Palisades is taking the time to go back and "fix" things when they could have just charged ahead with the line.

In the words of hottie Kristy Ozminski, "Sweet Bacon."

Now with more bacon!

Quinnnnnnnn
  14. Luke

Luke Active Member

I couldn't really tell the difference with Scooter, but then i didn't think there was much wrong with it that really affected the likeness the first time round - but yes, i thought Lew Zealand was like 1000 times better, lot more defined and detailed. I think with him, you could really notice the shoddy bits around the face easily before. If the repaint is as good as the retooling was then they'll have him totally perfect. Zoot was also really much, much better, the slight changes have made him look a little less sad and droopy and more like the moody and soulful Zoot we've all come to know and love.
  15. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

"less sad and droopy and more moody and soulful"

Hmmmm....I guess it all depends on what kind of mood the beholder is in. I think a lot of moody people are just sad.

Quinnnnnn
  16. GWGumby

GWGumby New Member

Although I have a difficult time seeing the differences in the retooled figures, let me just say that I am indeed greatful not only that we are allowed to see the prototypes, but that we are allowed to comment on them and critique them and hopefully help in making great figures even better.

Do any other companies do this sort of thing? I can't help but wonder if some of my favorite licenses could have been better had there been a place for more fan interaction and critique. Maybe it's very difficult to capture the likeness of a human, but I can think of very few action figures I own that couldn't be improved in some degree or other in terms of scuplting. I love that I own figures of Bob & Doug Mackenzie, of all the Monty Python members, and of Spinal Tap, along with dozens of others. Yet along with my love of these figures is also a sense of disappointment on how very few correctly resemble their real-life counterparts.

I never intended on being a Palisades fan-boy, but yet again I find more reasons to sing their praises. Thanks for this unique opportunity to be a part of the development process.
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

To better see the changes on scooter - compare the images in the article with the one on Palisades website. The most noticable is that material has been taken out of his glasses rim and the lensed moved closer together. He had a kind of "Marty Feldman" look before. :eek:
  18. Luke

Luke Active Member

Oooh yeah - i see it now ..... and you know it was the Marty Feldman reference that made me notice what you meant. :p
  19. Jackie

Jackie New Member

LOL! That's it exactly!
  20. SuperGrover

SuperGrover Member

As far as I can tell from these, is that Scooter has knee joints. But the main problem with him was his head, eyes & glasses. His glasses still look too big to me. As Letterman says, "What's the deal with guys & big glasses?"

Maybe that's what I need; a pair of big glasses. Are these pictures up any place else? I'd like to see larger pictures where I can notice the detail well enough to form my own opinion.

Still very enthusiastic for series 3. Especially tux Rowlf!