Seriously, What do want to do when you grow up?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
is'nt that what being a teacher is all about. i was home schooled so i really don't know how bad it was in public schools. With all of the school shootings and ganes and drugs and other stuff in high school now a days we need a few good men and ladies to teach our youngsters. They are the next generation. Be the best teacher you can be, there are kids out there who need someone in there life, who knows what an inpact you could have.

EasyBeinGreen

Reaction score
I'm in my sophomore year of college, studying elementary education with a minor in psychology. Next fall I'll be applying for a summer internship at Sesame Workshop in the educational research department. After I gradute I plan to move to NYC and teach K,1,2, or 3 in a public school. As I'm teaching I intend to get my master's in education and eventually my doctorate in Children's Literature. Ultimately, I want to remain teaching and do educational research regarding literacy.

I've learned in the last year that teaching isn't a fall-back career...The old adage "those who can't do... teach" couldn't be further from the truth... it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to be an educator.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I'm hoping to either do nursing in oncology (cancer) & pediatrics or special effects makeup. They're both really cool jobs, although the nursing would be more rewarding.

RedDragon

Reaction score
Man, I wish I knew....I'm going into college next year and I still don't have a clue...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Your so young, though. You really do have so much time to deside. The improtant thing to remember is to take your time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not a big deal if you don't have a major during the first year of college. It's a good time to research and see what's available and what appeals to you.

Skye

Reaction score
It's really true, Nyssa. I know that when I was first going into college, I had a plan of what I wanted to do and what I wanted to major in, so I thought it would be so easy. But my plan didn't pan out... I had no idea what to do after that! I was a little confused. And actually, I had a friend who, when she was a junior in college, she still had no idea what she really wanted to major in or what she wanted to do. It can be hard and it may take a while to decide, but it really does end up working out. :smile:

But honestly, I think it's really great when people are unsure of what they really want to do. That may sound like a weird sentence. But see, I've always been the kind of person who's really picky. And I've always known what I love to do and what I wanted to be. My whole life, I've always had my dreams of what I want to be, and that's just how it's always been for me. People who are unsure of what they want to do have so many options. They can truly do anything they want! And as you're deciding what really appeals to you... you can learn so much about yourself during that process. I think that's so wonderful. And exciting! Think about what you really want, enjoy your many options... and try to have fun deciding! :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Skye said:
Think about what you really want, enjoy your many options... and try to have fun deciding! :smile:
That is a nice way to look at it. :smile:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Don't be like me. Only a freshman but so wrapped up in major classes, there's no time for outside stuff.

*grumbles about high expectations from med schools*

RedDragon

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice....I've never been a fan of uncertainty, unfortunately that is the only thing in life that you can be certain of...<sigh>