1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Place Amusement Park

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by GelflingWaldo, Aug 6, 2004.

1. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I have visited Sesame Place amusement park several times. I went as a kid four years after it opened. Since I visited several time as a kid, and recently took my younger cousins (this was really just an excuse to go again). It is an awesome water park, with fun rides for all ages, exciting show, attractions, and so much more.

I have pictures of me in front of 123 Sesame Street, in Big Bird's nest, in Oscar's can, and all kinds of other cool sesame things. When I was much younger I participated in a live show where audience members act in a show that later gets real Muppets blue-screened in to the video with you. I have a copy of the tape and it is priceless (a video of me Bert, Ernie, Elmo, Grover, Oscar and Big Bird). In my latest visit to Longhorn, PA and the park, I check the shops in the for exclusive merchandise, and do they have some cool stuff (a lot of which I now have). The hedges shaped like the characters all over the park, the characters walking around, music playing, and the whole atmosphere is just awesome. The park is full of magic, and is a ton of fun! Never did I think I would ever walk down Sesame Street, but here you not only can walk down it, you can go in and explore it. In the 20 years since I first went, the park has changed a lot...it's even better than I remember!

Has anyone else been to Sesame Place? Any stories to share? Questions to ask? Information to swap? Sesame Place is on of the best family parks that I've been to in a long time.
  2. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Definately a very awesome place, I'm glad you took the intiative as an adult to go back, that's inspired me to go back! I haven'y been there for over a decade and my friends and siblings are always saying we're gonna' go back. I also went when it first opened and my buddy and I always joke with saying: "I remember that place when it was a giant air mattress and a ball pit!" Very very cool place though, and all you reading this, if you haven't been there, it is very cool, and LOTS of cool stuff to buy too!
  3. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

I didnt even realise there was a sesame street amusment park! it sounds good. how long has it been around and where is it? What is it like?
  4. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

What is it like?
  5. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Sesame Place originally opened around 1980. There were multiple parks at the time. I went to the one in Dallas during the early eighties. There is only one park now though in Philadelphia. Brian Henson and Bill Barretta originally met at Sesame Place doing clean-up work.

Many fans have visited so feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.sesameplace.com
  6. Muppetsdownunder

Sounds like a good place for muppet central meetups. I havent been there so dont know what its like!
  7. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Phil,

Do you know why the Texas park closed?
  8. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

I assume they closed it in the middle-to-late eighties due to competition. In the Dallas area there was Six Flags and White Water around the same period of time. I have no idea how many Sesame Place parks were open around the country during its heyday though.

One of the best things about Sesame Place in the early eighties was just the amazing Muppet store. They not only sold Sesame stuff but all of the Classic Muppet items as well. I only went there a few times, but I remember seeing the entire Sigma collection in person, some posters of Jim and the Muppets, all the dolls and puppets from that era, and all the Sesame Street and Muppet records. I'm sure there were all kinds of treasures there that I would appreciate so much more as an adult.

They had a replica set of Sesame Street and Hooper's Store that was pretty accurate. You could perform an Oscar puppet behind his can. Most of the rides were themed for the younger kids (12 and below), but everywhere you went Sesame Muppets were featured including walk-around characters not unlike what you see at the Sesame Street Live shows produced by VEE Entertainment.
  9. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Thanks, Phil.

My Cousins went to Texas, when they were younger and I remeber they went to Sesame Place when it was brand new. I wish that I could have went when I was younger. :( Oh well, maybe I will head up to the other park with my cousin, his wife, and his young son. But he is probably too young right now since he is only two months old.
  10. guysmiley4ever

guysmiley4ever New Member

hey cool! I still have a brochure from Sesame Place, got it a couple years ago.
    It looks really fun, but we never got over there yet.
    We had stopped in Pennsylvania and found the info there.
    I'd never knew that it existed and till now forgotten about it.
    That would be much more fun than Six flags!
    :) I remember in the pictures, there's a giant Bert, Ernie, and Elmo walking around.
    They all looked to be the same size as Big Bird! :p
  11. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I didn't know such a place existed. That's neat. :)
  12. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

And just to let everyone know, Sesame Place is owned and operated by the Busch Entertainment Corporation, a division of Anheuser-Busch. They also owns SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and other Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks.
  13. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

I just love Sesame Place Very Very Much.It's my very favorite theme of all time!!!
    They got the very best water rides of all and I love the vapor trail roller coaster. :excited: :excited: :excited:

You Should just go there,It's The Best.
  14. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

heres a funny lil story of mine when we went to Sesame Place back in 1990 or 92...

back when i was...about 5 or 7 i asked Bert :( or maybe Ernie :p , why they wont talk to me, so my mom chims in and says "hes saving his voice for the show" or somthin like that and Bert or Ernie points at my mom and shaks his head "yes" LOL..... :D i'll never for get that haha
  15. Klonoa

Klonoa New Member

I went to Sesame Place when I was little, too! Back when they had a park in Dallas. Oh it was so cool! Much better than Six Flags! (I'm so sick of Six Flags). When you first walk in the gate was a giant Big Bird head. Most of the attractions were outside versions of kiddie climib arounds and ball pools like what you'd find at a Chuck E Cheese nowadays. I remember they had computer games you could play and a huge kids bookstore and big wheel races and water slides and you could get your picture taken with characters on a replica of Sesame Street. I got my picture taken with Bert and Oscar when I was little. When I got home, I wanted to write thank you notes to them for letting me get my picture taken with my favorite Sesame characters. But I knew Oscar wouldn't want a thank you note, so I just sent one to Bert and put a paper clip in the envelope for his collection. :)

The one time I went, when we were waiting in line to buy tickets, I made friends with the kid in front of me, and we played together in the theme park the whole day. Very fun place.

--Klonoa
  16. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

1990: So you were born in 1983 or 1985... so your 19 or 21.
    1992: So you were born in 1985 again or 1987... so your 17 or 19

I Don't know I like adding up dates...

But on topic..... I need to find this location. So I can take my family to it.
  17. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

your right pal...1985 :D
  18. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

19. Klonoa

Klonoa New Member

Here's an interesting fact. Did you know that a long time ago, before Six Flags had the Looney Tunes Land kids section of the theme park, at one point at the Six Flags in Dallas, the kid section of the park was called Pac-Land? This was back in the early 80's when the arcade game Pac-Man was in it's heyday with a wife sequel and cartoon by H-B. Pac-Land at Six Flags had a Pac-Man shaped ferris wheel, a 'maze' you could crawl through, and a Pac themed magic show. It wasn't much, but for a Pac-Man freak like yours truly, it was a blast. I wish they'd make a video game themed amusement park like how Sesame Place is with the SS cast. But I guess that's what E3 is for. :)

--Klonoa
    I love Pac-Man.
  20. Muppetsdownunder

They used to have a video game amusement park in Sydney, it was called Sega world. I went there once and liked it even though it was indoors they still packed lots in and im not video game fan. I'm pretty sure its closed now though. It was in a place in Sydney right in the city so I guess the rent on the place would have been astronomical and not worth while.