1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Podcasts

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by scarecroe, Sep 18, 2007.

1. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Sesame Workshop has launched a new weekly video podcast on its site. Also available on iTunes and via various mobile units such as cell phones, these 5 minute segments have been created in direct response to parents' desire to have something educational available to them on-the-go with their children.

As a parent myself, I think it's fantastic and the content, as always, is winning.

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/podcasts/
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Kinda of cool, but I really hope this isn't the video site rumor Ssetta was talking about!
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I haven't subscribed yet, but does the episode that's been uploaded include any classic clips, or is it just newer (let's say 2002 or later) segments?
  4. Drtooth

It's crap. Downloading it crashed my computer twice, and now that it's up, no matter what program I use to view it in it immediately "Stops Working" bullcrap! I HATE HATE HATE windows, and this wasn't even worth it.
  5. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Uh the link's off the SW website.

Let's think before we make such as assumption.
  6. Drtooth

I was thinking... okay? It was a rumor that SW was going to have video on their site, and it was said that it won't be launched until September, so that's where I put 1 and 1 together. Okay. No need to get snippy.:rolleyes:

Actually, I think I am right...

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/podcasts/ideas_for_parents.php

I kinda wanted a flash based video watching compilation system, but this is what's going on. If it actually worked without having to download anything, i'd be happier.
  7. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

The podcasts work fine for me and I'm still using Windows 98.
  8. minor muppetz

I have mixed feelings about what's been done here. It would have been great if this was an audio podcast, with news about Sesame Street, interviews with people involved (maybe even some Muppet characters), audio clips (like in The MuppetCast), and perhaps some discussion about past moments, maybe audio tributes to certain characters, people, or subjects.

I still haven't watched the first one yet, but I've read that the podcast includes new and old sketches, as well as extended versions of sketches. However, if all of them are five minutes, I guess there wouldn't be too many segments. It seems like some segments are a bit long, close to five minutes long. The various animation sketches are shorter (most seem like they are less than a minute).

I can't wait to download the first episode.
  9. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Sesame Workshop's priority is to education. The type of audio podcast you propose sounds like it would be great, but that would have to be a separate thing for nostalgia fans.
  10. Drtooth

Well, for those who haven't seen it yet, Here's what it was (updated. i just watche the thing the had on the site as a flash file. Finally got it to work)

Word on the Street-Squid (same as TV show)
    The World of Elmo Cousteau- I think it was redubbed footage with a cut out animated squid super-emposed in it
    Brian Willaims explaining the word of the day (also like the show)
    Murray Monster talking with other people
    short cartoon with a squid floating around
    Wriggle like an Octopus (redubbed over by Murray, squid super imposed at the beginning)
    Murray talking to a girl in a wheel chair (Kaitlin) and pretending to be like a squid
    Another short cartoon with a squid coming out of a treasure box
    Kids in the Swiming pool, and a giant letter S pops out (Murray does voice over, and the lettlers quid pop up, superimposed, spelling thw word "Squid")
    Murray comes out to close the show.
  11. minor muppetz

Well, I finally got around to watching the first podcast. It was as good as a current episode. Maybe they will get better. But so far nothing to be really excited about. I hope that all of these aren't hosted by Murray. Maybe Big Bird can host one, and Abby Cadabby can host another, and Grover can host one, and so on.
  12. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Ditto!
  13. InvaderZim

InvaderZim Member

Nice to see Sesame Workshop embracing iPods and other portable devices with podcasting -it's available worldwide (downloading it now-first ep is 30MB).
  14. minor muppetz

The second episode has been posted, and it's much better than the first one. The word on the street is "newspaper", and it includes a cartoon in which a man looks in a newspaper and sees a used monster listed in the want ads (this looks new, but has a classic quality to it... And I don't ever remember seeing it before), plus a classic Two-Headed Monster sketch, in which the monster uses a newspaper. I don't remember seeing that sketch before, or hearing about it, but the monster is performed by Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt in that sketch, so it must be older. And it includes the sketch where Grover sells newspapers, which features Sully in the background (though the beginning scene is cut. I recall Sully walking past Grover at the beginning, and this part of the skit is in the Grover Work Song montage in A Celebration of Me, Grover! but there is a shot of Sully).

So I guess classics will be included. I don't know how old that Two-Headed Monster skit is (it could have been between 1990 and 1992), nor do I know how old that Grover sketch is (I think it's from the 1990s).
  15. Drtooth

I might as well give a rundown of this weeks Podcast

Podcast #2- Word on the Street: newspaper
    Word on the Street: newspaper with Murray (same as in show)
    Old cartoon about the interresting things in a newspaper in which said interresting things pop out (the word Newspaper is superimposed on the skit)
    Murray talk segment (pops out from behind newspaper)
    Classic segment- Twoheaded Monster plays with newspaper (cuts off when the Richard hunt head makes the telescope for a scene transition)
    Celebrity Word segment- matt Laur talks about newspapaper.
    Classic Segment- Grover sells newspapers, without knowing you can read them (edited)
    Murray talk segment closing (reused edited footage of the beginning)
  16. Java

Java Active Member

I remember the two-headed monster playing with the newspaper skit. What memories it brough back...
  17. minor muppetz

I was looking at The Word on the Street page at Muppet Wiki, looking at a listing of segments, in broadcast order, and noticed that the first two episodes have the first two word of the day segments. I wonder if this order will be used for all podcast episodes.

I have thought of some good ideas for segments for future podcasts, if episodes are done like this:

Word of the Day: Dog
    • any Fay Ray segments
    • any Barkly segments
    • Ernie brings home a surprise
    • a dog learns about U words
    • Has Anybody Seen My Dog?

Word of the Day: Gigantic
    • Ernie, Bert, and Big Bird demonstrate "tall", "taller", and "tallest"
    • Kermit's tall and short lecture (maybe both parts)

Word of the Day: Lazy
    • Sesame Street Sports: The Tortose and the Hare

Word of the Day: Windy
    • The Weather Show
    • Air (either with Bip Bipodotta or Guy Smiley)
    • Windy (I don't know what the chances of this one being included are)
    • Gone with the Wind (ditto)
    • Detective Grover

Word of the Day: Mystery
    • Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebug Mystery
    • Mysterious Theater: The Case of the Missing Cat
    • Detective Grover
  18. InvaderZim

InvaderZim Member

I wonder if classics Kermit segments are allowed to be in the podcast?

Would the deal for the classic Kermit segments cover podcasting as well?
  19. minor muppetz

I don't know, but Sesame Workshop is allowed to include Kermit in commercial video releases, and this podcast is free. I would think that if Sesame Workshop can included Kermit segments in something that people have to pay for, then Sesame Workshop should be able to include Kermit in something that's available for free.
  20. Drtooth

Dog is up, and here's the Rundown

Word on the Street: Dog
    Murray opening (from the show)
    1990's word of the day segment: Dog (Murray Voice over added)
    Song: Washing the Dog (the Word Dog superimposed)
    Animation of live action Kid drawing an animated dog (Murray's voice and superimposed word Dog added)
    Celebrity word of the day: Conan O'Brien talks about dogs (edited)
    Murray talk segment (short)
    Keith Harring animation: baby and Dog pattern (Murray's voice added)
    Murray segment (same as opening, but edited)
    Animate segment: Growing Dog diorama spelling dog (murray's voice added)
    Raposo song: Take a closer look (?) edited to show only the Dog segment (lyrics cut out, just the music, Murray's VO added in)
    Murray closing (identical to closing of opening)

Seems like they didn't use any muppet segments other than Murray... and they pretty much had him voice over every skit.