Sesame Podcasts

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to watching the first podcast. It was as good as a current episode. Maybe they will get better. But so far nothing to be really excited about. I hope that all of these aren't hosted by Murray. Maybe Big Bird can host one, and Abby Cadabby can host another, and Grover can host one, and so on.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
Nice to see Sesame Workshop embracing iPods and other portable devices with podcasting -it's available worldwide (downloading it now-first ep is 30MB).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The second episode has been posted, and it's much better than the first one. The word on the street is "newspaper", and it includes a cartoon in which a man looks in a newspaper and sees a used monster listed in the want ads (this looks new, but has a classic quality to it... And I don't ever remember seeing it before), plus a classic Two-Headed Monster sketch, in which the monster uses a newspaper. I don't remember seeing that sketch before, or hearing about it, but the monster is performed by Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt in that sketch, so it must be older. And it includes the sketch where Grover sells newspapers, which features Sully in the background (though the beginning scene is cut. I recall Sully walking past Grover at the beginning, and this part of the skit is in the Grover Work Song montage in A Celebration of Me, Grover! but there is a shot of Sully).

So I guess classics will be included. I don't know how old that Two-Headed Monster skit is (it could have been between 1990 and 1992), nor do I know how old that Grover sketch is (I think it's from the 1990s).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I might as well give a rundown of this weeks Podcast

Podcast #2- Word on the Street: newspaper
Word on the Street: newspaper with Murray (same as in show)
Old cartoon about the interresting things in a newspaper in which said interresting things pop out (the word Newspaper is superimposed on the skit)
Murray talk segment (pops out from behind newspaper)
Classic segment- Twoheaded Monster plays with newspaper (cuts off when the Richard hunt head makes the telescope for a scene transition)
Celebrity Word segment- matt Laur talks about newspapaper.
Classic Segment- Grover sells newspapers, without knowing you can read them (edited)
Murray talk segment closing (reused edited footage of the beginning)

Java

Reaction score
I remember the two-headed monster playing with the newspaper skit. What memories it brough back...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was looking at The Word on the Street page at Muppet Wiki, looking at a listing of segments, in broadcast order, and noticed that the first two episodes have the first two word of the day segments. I wonder if this order will be used for all podcast episodes.

I have thought of some good ideas for segments for future podcasts, if episodes are done like this:

Word of the Day: Dog
  • any Fay Ray segments
  • any Barkly segments
  • Ernie brings home a surprise
  • a dog learns about U words
  • Has Anybody Seen My Dog?

Word of the Day: Gigantic
  • Ernie, Bert, and Big Bird demonstrate "tall", "taller", and "tallest"
  • Kermit's tall and short lecture (maybe both parts)

Word of the Day: Lazy
  • Sesame Street Sports: The Tortose and the Hare

Word of the Day: Windy
  • The Weather Show
  • Air (either with Bip Bipodotta or Guy Smiley)
  • Windy (I don't know what the chances of this one being included are)
  • Gone with the Wind (ditto)
  • Detective Grover

Word of the Day: Mystery
  • Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebug Mystery
  • Mysterious Theater: The Case of the Missing Cat
  • Detective Grover

InvaderZim

Reaction score
I wonder if classics Kermit segments are allowed to be in the podcast?

Would the deal for the classic Kermit segments cover podcasting as well?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if classics Kermit segments are allowed to be in the podcast?

Would the deal for the classic Kermit segments cover podcasting as well?
I don't know, but Sesame Workshop is allowed to include Kermit in commercial video releases, and this podcast is free. I would think that if Sesame Workshop can included Kermit segments in something that people have to pay for, then Sesame Workshop should be able to include Kermit in something that's available for free.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dog is up, and here's the Rundown

Word on the Street: Dog
Murray opening (from the show)
1990's word of the day segment: Dog (Murray Voice over added)
Song: Washing the Dog (the Word Dog superimposed)
Animation of live action Kid drawing an animated dog (Murray's voice and superimposed word Dog added)
Celebrity word of the day: Conan O'Brien talks about dogs (edited)
Murray talk segment (short)
Keith Harring animation: baby and Dog pattern (Murray's voice added)
Murray segment (same as opening, but edited)
Animate segment: Growing Dog diorama spelling dog (murray's voice added)
Raposo song: Take a closer look (?) edited to show only the Dog segment (lyrics cut out, just the music, Murray's VO added in)
Murray closing (identical to closing of opening)

Seems like they didn't use any muppet segments other than Murray... and they pretty much had him voice over every skit.