Sesame Song about Pockets

truth66

Reaction score
Gotta have my pockets!!!

Greetings Mister Fred,

Man, I thought you fell off the planet! Anyways, I figured that you were really busy. I have been extremely busy as well. I am back in school learning sign langauage. It is a lot of fun! Learning not to speak with my voice and rely upon my hands and facial / body expressions to communicate is very challenging! I have been so busy with work and school that my searching for the "Pockets" skit has been not so extensive. Sorry! I am glad to hear your going to buy a new pair of overalls...WAY COOL! I actually prefer used overalls. There is this awesome swap meet I go to sometimes where they sell used overalls. They are already broken in and are usually in excellent condition. Plus they don't cost and arm and leg. New overalls are too expensive! I hope someday to meet "Miss Right" and she will definitely have like wearing overalls and love pockets too. My high school girlfriend and I, when we were dating used to walk together with our hands in each other's back pocket. I miss those days! It was a great feeling of closeness with her. By the way, have a great birthday! Have fun and enjoy Red Lobster! I haven't eaten there in years. It is an awesome restaurant!

Mister Fred

Reaction score
truth66,
I got more good results now. Alot of other people I have talked with remember the pockets song too! Small world! Why don't you ask your mom what she remembers next time you see her. Someone has to know more scenes and song lyrics than we do. I have had some trouble getting ahold of that customer with the video cause sadly they are currently seperated. Don't worry, let me do the dirty work. I got a new pair of overalls at walmart. They have a pocket with a flap and snap on the bib part plus a pocket with a zipper, a utility pocket on the right side pant leg plus 2 back pockets and 2 big deep front pockets. Every time I wear them, I think of that song!

BWSmith

Reaction score
The "pockets" song appears in SSU episode #536 from 1973.

ssetta

Reaction score
It's actually not #536, it's #796 from 1975.

dalexandre

Reaction score
Mister Fred said:
truth66,
The lady you are thinking of that is deaf is Linda. I have not seen her on Sesame Street in a long time. It is very good that there is someone in the cast that is deaf. Now with new tv's, people that are deaf can push a button and all the words being said appear on the tv screen. When I go through those videos, I will see if Linda is on any of them. Iam quite sure cause these videos are from them 1970's & maybe early 1980's.
I remember Linda being on the show and i watched it during the early nineties. However, i may have been watching reruns aswell.

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets"

Hello Mr. Fred,

I appreciate your continued efforts to find the "Pockets" song/skit. Work and School has kept me very busy! I have to 2 final exams in 2 weeks, so I have been keeping my nose to the grindstone and have had barely enough time to sleep. The good news is that I am taking the summer off from school, so a break will be very refreshing. I will pick up school again in the fall. I am glad that you got a new pair of overalls. The weather here has gotten really hot, so I haven't been wearing my overalls. I may have to just hang them up until this fall. The alternative for now is wear my new cargo shorts and carpenter jean shorts, they have a ton of pockets.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
BWSmith said:
The "pockets" song appears in SSU episode #536 from 1973.
BWSmith, Do you remember any of the scenes or lyrics from the "pockets" song? Truth 66 and I have had this song stuck in our minds for years. My mom used to sing along everytime this song was on. Can you help us out? Any scenes or song lyrics you remember?

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song / Skit

Can anyone else out there remember the "Pockets" song / skit? Perhaps recall some of the lyrics outside the beginning lyrics..."What do we do without pockets...pockets are perfectly fine. You need a pocket for combing your hair." I know there are a bunch more lyrics, I just can't remember them. Please help!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
some other scenes

Some other scenes from the film- a guy at a fruit market trying to carry a ton of apples in both arms, but he doesn't get very far. But pockets are convenient for holding an apple or pair. (That fits into the lyrics somewhere)
A scene of a kangaroo with her baby peeking out. ('Cause many things come out of pockets, things that we can't reproduce)
But stranger beware!- A kid tries putting his hands in his pockets while ice skating and takes a header.

And of course, the carpenter so weighted down with tools she breaks the step on the ladder, and the guy pouring the tomato juice in his pocket

Look carefully. Around the same time, they made the film of the kids watching a movie, and they're yelling at the man not to go in the door marked DANGER! He ignores them, and a big explosion ensues. It's the tomato juice guy!!!!

truth66

Reaction score
Other scenes from the "Pockets" song / skit

Fuzzygobo,

Thank you for the update. The carpenter weighted down with tools breaking the step on the ladder is my favorite scene. However, I always thought the person was a man, not a woman. Anyway, I was very very young when I saw the skit, so my memory is a bit hazy. Do you remember what she was wearing? I thought she was wearing overalls, but now I am not so sure. Please confirm. I also liked the scene with the man pouring tomato juice in his shirt pocket. Did he just pour the tomato juice in his pocket or did he also slap the pocket afterwards splattering the juice everywhere? Please confirm on this one too. Thanks again for the additional scenes information. I really appreciate it!